BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pure
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the things that first drew me to the R nineT was how early on (2014) BMW advertised it as a bike you could customize, build to your own. I liked that. Started looking at R nineT's in 2017 and liked the bike, but wasn't sold on either the Pure or the Scrambler. I wanted something in between, some offroad capabilities like the Scrambler, some of the quicker handling of the Pure, a low pipe like the Pure for saddlebags, the seat on the Pure, the knobby tires on the Scrambler. In 2018 my local dealer had a left over 2017 Pure that they were selling for a steep discount, so I grabbed it.

Immediately did the tach upgrade, and went with a Mustang seat. Also fitted the SW-Motech Legend Saddlebag system. Spend better part of three years trying to replace the factory Classic spoked wheels & tubes. Well, finally got the parts to make it my own. A combination of what I liked about the Pure and what I liked about the Scrambler. I call it my Prambler.

Here's the bike last week, after the mods listed above.

I finally found a set of Scrambler wheels that someone actually had in stock (every dealer I spoke with had to order them from Germany with a 4 week to 2 month delay for shipping). Purchased from Simeon Simeonov at BeemerParts.com Here are the BMW part numbers:

And here are the wheels:

I also went with the BMW angled black valve stems. They come loose in a package, with the stem nuts in another package, and it took me a while to find out which way the nuts went on, and what was the torque. Here shows the nut orientation, and they are torqued to 10Nm. The stem BMW part number is #36318542009 and the nut BWM part number is #36318542010.

The stock Pure front fender will not fit with the Scrambler 19" front wheel, and BMW is completely out of the Scrambler front fender cross braces, so I went with a Wunderlich Classic Front Scrambler Fender and cross brace, part #44850410.

The one thing I did reuse from the Pure front wheel was the two brake rotors. I had read in numerous posts about how difficult it was to remove the rotor bolts from the wheels, but I found that putting the wheel between two saw horses and having my son hold it steady, and using a 2 foot breaker bar, the rotor bolts came out with no issues.

As recommended, I went with new BMW rotor bolts, part #34117700989 and torqued them down to 19Nm

Even though I've removed the tires on the original Classic spoked rims with tubes, and remounted them, in my shop, my tire tools did not fit these new cross-spoked BMW rims, so I had the local dealer mount the Continental TKC 70 front and TKC 70 Rock rear. Everything else was plug and play in mounting the new wheels and fender on the Pure.

The Scrambler front wheel raises the front of the bike 1", and relaxes the steering head angle (which I like), giving a slightly slower steering, yet slightly more stable ride. I did go with a Wunderlich Side Stand Enlarger, part #32421202 and fitted a 1/4" delrin plate to the bottom of the Side Stand Enlarger so the bike wouldn't lean as far on the side stand.

Love the way it rides and handles, feels lighter and more stable. And have enjoyed some gentle off-roading (it's certainly no Adventure Bike). I still need to resolve the computer issue with the stock Pure computer not recognizing the 19" front wheel. So for now I'm riding with the ASC turned off.

So that's my 2017 BMW R nineT Prambler build.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
2017 BMW R Nine T (Scrambler)
9 Posts
How do you like the TKC 70 and Rocks? I’m thinking these may need to be my next pick up for my scrambler

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
37 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I think I might at some point make some similar mods on my pure, but I might prioritize a rear suspension upgrade (Wilbers 640 +25mm, perhaps). Those wheels look awesome though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also have been searching for new tires.. i did not go with the TKC70 because people report frequent cupping / strange wear of the tire when only used on road.

Next week i am getting Metzeler Karoo street tires mounted.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
359 Posts
If I may, I've just put Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and am very happy both on road and on gravel.

Reactions: Timmyjoe

·
Registered
2017 Pure
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the positive responses.

I had considered putting the TKC 70 tires on the stock Pure rims (even though I hate the tubes) but then when the TKC 70 Rocks came out I realized that was the rear tire I really wanted. And they don't really make that in a size that fits the stock rear Pure wheel, and they do make a size that fits the Scrambler rear wheel. So that cemented in my mind to go this direction.

I've only been riding them for four days, so I have no idea how they will wear, (as far as cupping or any other abnormal wear) but as far as ride, they ride like street tires. No whine, no rumbling, very smooth. And the little bit of mild offroad I've done with them (field riding) they do better, especially in damp grass (early morning dew) than the road tires I had on the Pure wheels.

Best,
-Tim

Reactions: Benkos

·
Registered
2017 Urban GS
24 Posts
Hey Tim, Awesome bike!

How did you mount the delrin plate to the side stand enlarger? Drill and counter-sink bolts through it or mount it with 3m tape?

I need to do the same mod and would like your expertise.

·
Registered
2017 Pure
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drilled and tapped the Wunderlich plate, then drilled clearance holes and countersunk flat head screws thru the delrin plate. And blue loctited the three screws holding the delrin to the Wunderlich plate.

Hope that helps.

Best,
-Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts