BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 BMW R Nine T Scrambler
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi All! I just finished a long trip across the States, starting in Southern California and ending in Boston, Massachusetts. I started sharing some stories/details on my intro thread, but I'll go into some detail here for everyone. I'll post a little each day, so please tell me if there are any details you want!

I started this journey for a few reasons. On the surface, I was making my way back home after a quitting a toxic job in CA. Really though, I had always wanted a journey of this scale and this was the right time to do it. I was originally going to do it with a buddy, he had to back out, and I almost canceled. I had never done more than a 6-hour out and back trip before this. As you can see below, I definitely wasn't going for time :LOL:

I sure am glad I did it, and I want to do a lot more. I've been back 4 days and am itching to get back in the saddle! This was as much a journey inward as it was a journey across the USA. Also, not really here to brag, just want to share my experience with you all!

Some trip stats:

Bike: 2017 R NineT Scrambler
Mileage: 6732
Calendar Time: 32 days
Close Calls: 7 (mostly Ohio and Pennsylvania)
Field Mods: 4
Awesome People Met: 32
Supporting Friends: 10
Bugs Obliterated on my Helmet and Windscreen: Probably about 5-10k, at least
Valuable Experiences: Can't Count

I'm planning to write about:

• The ride
  • Locations
  • Experiences with people and places
  • Riding and gear lessons learned
  • Improvements for the future
  • My setup
My intro thread:

My Instagram (has pictures as posts and story details in the highlights):
@mistamistry Login • Instagram
@travelswithmistry Login • Instagram

I hope you enjoy! I'll try to post a little every day. Any and all feedback and constructive criticisms are welcome and deeply appreciated

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cool, I'm from the UK. Now live in New Zealand. In 1991 I did a very similar route on a honda cn400 2speed semi automatic with backpack and tennis rack strapped to a top box! Drafting behind trucks to gain another 5mph for over 5000miles... ha ha brings back some memories. Good on you.. I loved climbing up through Flagstaff etc saw a rattle snack crossing the road.

A much better ride on your scrambler.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R Nine T Scrambler
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I'm from the UK. Now live in New Zealand. In 1991 I did a very similar route on a honda cn400 2speed semi automatic with backpack and tennis rack strapped to a top box! Drafting behind trucks to gain another 5mph for over 5000miles... ha ha brings back some memories. Good on you.. I loved climbing up through Flagstaff etc saw a rattle snack crossing the road.

That sounds amazing! Would love to hear more.

I drafted as much as possible through Kansas, the winds there were horrible. The truckers out there get it too, and most of them waved as I passed after taking some wind shelter for a bit! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Heading out for just about half that mileage right after labor day. Probably just over 3000 miles in a 10 day ride through South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas. Usually do a couple of trips a year by this time so quite behind this year. My bike is dialed in to my needs and I have so much fun riding, meeting up with old and new friends.....can't wait. I'd love to hear additions to your stories of adventure in the coming days......

·
Registered
39 Posts

Ive probably still got the old paper map with my highlighted trail throuh usa, ill have a look a post some photos. Before gps and google!! Did the whole trip on the general principle of head east turn left and go north... ha ha. It worked for the most part, one on ramp caught me out in the middle of the country where i had no idea where i was heading. Fuel stops were an issue up around the point where the 4 states meet at Utah/ Arizona etc.. i was 21 and concerned i was going to breakdown and be taken off in to the canyons never to found again... the good old honda with a 70mph top speed didnt let me down, i have great fading memories of that trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts