BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
NineT Scrambler 2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you guys!
So, for the trip to Samarkand my setup was: absolutely stock front and rear suspensions, high Bmw saddle that for me it’s particularly comfortable, Puig Custom II windshield and Hepco & Beker bags (22 liters each) plus a 60 liter saddle bag.
Now this is my travel setup
C9FD83B7-DB52-4F73-842C-59895CDAE0E4.jpeg
037092F6-AE70-47A0-AA08-688670E9AC9F.jpeg

Now I have alu panniers by Koboldbike (I used for my trip in Tunisia, you can see photos on “My solo trip in Tunisia” discussion), windshield for UGS by Wunderlich and Andreani front cartridges and Ohlins rear mono.

About bags everyone has their opinion, alu panniers are, for me, better than soft bags. Bigger, safe for theft and I can use it also with passenger for a short w/end.
About windshield I chose a lower one because the higher ones repair better but create more turbulence and noises on the helmet.
About suspensions obviously Ohlins, Andreani, Wilbers are better than the stock suspensions (on my new NineT I have the Wilbers +70 kit and it's fantastic, for me even better than Andreani / Ohlins I had before). But I am neither Valentino Rossi, of a few years ago, nor Chris Birch and so I rode 17000 km in a month on the roads of Central Asia with stock suspension without any problems. An Italian on Ktm in Bukara told me "you're crazy!” but it didn't seem so crazy to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice setup, and you must have clocked up a lot of miles on that now. Good on you!
Those Koboldbike panniers look interesting, especially that they fit round the standard silencer. Just looked on their website and couldn't see any bikes listed so did you just give them the dimensions?

·
Registered
NineT Scrambler 2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nice setup, and you must have clocked up a lot of miles on that now. Good on you!
Those Koboldbike panniers look interesting, especially that they fit round the standard silencer. Just looked on their website and couldn't see any bikes listed so did you just give them the dimensions?

They are very kind and also do custom work. Perhaps distance could be a problem.
I modified the frame because I don't want the rack and I wanted an elegant result without panniers.
This is the result.
C92B1B3F-DAC5-40B1-84A2-5AF8D303D18F.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Viaggio a dir poco fantasticoooo!
Amazing experience, thanks for sharing!
You should let BMW Motorrad know what you achieved with this bike and let them do the job of telling your story!
Great advertising for free!
Amazing!!!
Complimenti!!!

Inviato dal mio SM-A750FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
212 Posts
Talox, the quality of the photos in respect of colours, low light, etc is extremely good. What camera did you use. I always struggle with a camera as compact is what you need for convenience, but size of sensor and quality of lenses makes a difference, but you cannot lug a DSLR along. I end up using my cellphone most of the time.

·
Registered
NineT Scrambler 2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Viaggio a dir poco fantasticoooo!
Amazing experience, thanks for sharing!
You should let BMW Motorrad know what you achieved with this bike and let them do the job of telling your story!
Great advertising for free!
Amazing!!!
Complimenti!!!

Inviato dal mio SM-A750FN utilizzando Tapatalk
Magari!!!
I'm sorry but I can't translate in English, my English is not so good:LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
NineT Scrambler 2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Talox, the quality of the photos in respect of colours, low light, etc is extremely good. What camera did you use. I always struggle with a camera as compact is what you need for convenience, but size of sensor and quality of lenses makes a difference, but you cannot lug a DSLR along. I end up using my cellphone most of the time.
Usually I use smartphone (iPhone) and a mirrorless camera (Fuji X-T20). Most of the photos you've seen I took with my smartphone because, for me, the learning curve to use camera in fully manual mode is still too long.

·
Registered
NineT Scrambler 2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Great trip. I would like to know more about your bike setup as I want to get my Scrambler setup for long distance rides.
Is that the BMW high seat or an aftermarket seat and was it comfortable for you?
Are the H&B panniers on C Bow racks?
Which screen is that?
Is there anything you will change on the bike after doing this epic trip?
Road Ride, I think that one of the most important elements of setup for a long trip are the tires (if you don't want to change along the way). I think that for a "soft adventure" trip of 17000 km Heidenau K60 are the best choice. After 17,000 km they were more or less at 30%. I think you can ride for 22-23000 km without any problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Road Ride, I think that one of the most important elements of setup for a long trip are the tires (if you don't want to change along the way). I think that for a "soft adventure" trip of 17000 km Heidenau K60 are the best choice. After 17,000 km they were more or less at 30%. I think you can ride for 22-23000 km without any problems.
Thanks for that tip. I might try the UGS headlight cover as I have put the Unit Garage larger screen on mine and as you said with your larger screen, I am now getting a lot of turbulance around the helmet which is making journeys quite tiring.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
212 Posts
Usually I use smartphone (iPhone) and a mirrorless camera (Fuji X-T20). Most of the photos you've seen I took with my smartphone because, for me, the learning curve to use camera in fully manual mode is still too long.
Lenses for fuji? I assume you used zoom mostly. I am looking at new Iphone, mostly because of quality of photos. I do not have the software and time to photoshop and expect the camera to do it. Swopping and travelling with lenses an absolute nuisance. Also found that as a tourist people find use of a phone less intrusive. They are more natural around you and you actually draw less attention getting better photos. When you pull out a big camera, everybody looks at you. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
NineT Scrambler 2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Lenses for fuji? I assume you used zoom mostly. I am looking at new Iphone, mostly because of quality of photos. I do not have the software and time to photoshop and expect the camera to do it. Swopping and travelling with lenses an absolute nuisance. Also found that as a tourist people find use of a phone less intrusive. They are more natural around you and you actually draw less attention getting better photos. When you pull out a big camera, everybody looks at you. Thanks for advice.
I have 2 lenses: xf 18-55 and xf 27.
I totally agree with you!
Maybe because I don't know how to use the camera. I think taking pictures with the camera in fully automatic mode is just silly, and it is no different from using a good smartphone.
Using the camera in fully manual mode very often I miss the "magic moment" and the result is not even great.
For this I use the camera for, perhaps, only 10% of the photos.

P.S.:
I checked and all the photos I attached in this thread were taken by iPhone.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
212 Posts
I have 2 lenses: xf 18-55 and xf 27.
I totally agree with you!
Maybe because I don't know how to use the camera. I think taking pictures with the camera in fully automatic mode is just silly, and it is no different from using a good smartphone.
Using the camera in fully manual mode very often I miss the "magic moment" and the result is not even great.
For this I use the camera for, perhaps, only 10% of the photos.

P.S.:
I checked and all the photos I attached in this
I plead guilty, selling off all my DSLR equipment, bonus is that wife now very happy with me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you Oiertxu, I’m waiting for the end of this pandemic crisis for a new trip. I have two options: Pamir Highway or Middle East (by ferry from Italy to Israel) and I’m already studying visas questions!
Ohhh!!! What a wonderful trip you did. Also waiting for the end of this pandemic crisis. I miss ride my bike and travel more than I could imagine. I Know that it´s only a little annoyance in comparision with pandemic crisis so I don´t complaint so much. At least we can "heal wounds" reading this amazing stories.

Pamir Highway is also a dream I would like to satisfy one day. In my case with Ninet Pure I think I will have to reconsider the way to go there, from Spain and not enough time and money probably I will prefer go by plane and hire a light dual sport bike there. It won´t be the same but at least I could enjoy those landscapes.

Sorry If my written English is not very good.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT Pure
5 Posts
I respect your courage and passion. There is nothing like realizing childhood dreams. I hope that your passage in Turkey was safe and joyful. All the best.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts