BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mods, feel free to move this thread where ever it best serves …. No issues.
Bobbers, Choppers and Anarchist, Misbehaviors and Non-Conformists alike …. Unite and GetLoud too …..
Well I bought my Classic in 2015 and I dressed it up for touring for a bit, then stripped her down to to get back to the gorgeous stock Classic look for a bit, then itried to push it into a Cafe’ flavor for a bit but nothing seems to suite me so now I’ve committed to Bobbing her. I don’t commute any more so all my daily rides are fair weather and are as much for fun UpOn2 as they are for errands of purpose. I’m not out to do anything but have some fun and be a little mischievous. I decided I’d put straight pipes on the girl and the sound is awesome … I know all the flack I’m going to get … everything from noise pollution to ecological doom and gloom … no arguments fellas … this thread is about bike mods and results not your political preference or country’s regulations … I live where there are no regulations like mufflers. So I can pretty much do what ever I want …(except lane split … not sure I’d do that even if I could)… so no bitching about my decisions … I ditched the cat and ran straight tubes down the sides … the further I go with the Bobber concept I have in mind the better they will begin to fit in … I think because I love my Corbin saddle I’m just going to do a custom hump-ectomy and shorten the seat, new tail light and plate configuration next …. Here’s what I have so far and I’ll post the rest later …
BeWell-StayUpOn2-DoWhatPleasesYou-TempusFugit Gentlemen…Blitz

After I cut the CAT I painted the trimmed headers in high heat flat black along with the new straight tubes … I decided to butt-to-butt the tubes rather than tig it up so if it were just unacceptable I could simply tig it back together (no chance) it’s nasty loud when I want it to be but reasonable when I want it to be as well…. Perfect. When this project is over I’ll post audio on a YouTube link.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

I initially thought I’d extend the tubes further than the photo shows but the drive side device when in lowest position would interfear. The length has been adjusted for suspension movement and made equal in length for uniform back pressure, and there won’t be much of that. I know, burnt valves …..bla bla bla … I won’t live long enough to burn the damn valves …. besides …This sled is my Viking burial barge anyway. It’s going in the hole with me when I go … 🏍

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle brake

The original exhaust has been cut just in front of the 2 into 1 … as far behind the O2 sensor as i
could get and have a straight tube …

Wood Audio equipment Gas Auto part Metal

I fabricated a support that will be strapped to the fiber wrapped tubes to support the tail pipes from the same support that held the CAT originally. Should look pretty clean …

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

View from underneath after CAT removed. That’s the original Cat bracket hanging on the right. I’ll use the same mount with a new device to hang the straight pipes …

Circles show location of butt-to-butt connectors and simple metal screws. High heat epoxy and high heat foil duct tape will finish off the tube before the fiberglass wrap to hide all the mods.

Automotive tire Drinkware Tire Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Detail showing exhaust tip and stainless tube clamps that will be painted flat black with high heat enamel along with entire exhaust manifold and all the fiberglass too. I think I’m going to paint the body work and most everything including my helmet with Raptor Urethane flexible Bed Liner all Black medium texture… Reminicent of the movie “Road Warrior” Vintage Goth …. I’m tired of nothing but Wunderlish looks on thi bike …. Blitz

Tire Building Wood Shelving Automotive tire

I’ll finish the other side and crossover tomorrow … just to cold in the shed to continue tonight.
I’ll post more later as the mod progresses …. …… …… Blitz

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
761 Posts
That is going to be louder than a HD with V&H pipes in a tunnel!!!

Can't wait to hear the end result. A video clip is probably not necessary, just run it and I will be able to hear in Netherlands no problem.

Just like the vulcano eruption in Tonga recently, it will create a pressure wave going around the world....

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
469 Posts
I’m posting this with my ear plugs in 😝 as just opening up this thread could seriously deafen members! Don’t care how noisy it is as your so far away from me over’t pond but I love the pics, I love the build and more so you’ve just proved that it’s like the ‘universal’ bike of the seventies where you only ever got one type of model and you had to either racebuild it and race it or fit weather protection so you commute or fit luggage and tour with it. You’ve just about done the lot from only one bike!

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,043 Posts
Mods, feel free to move this thread where ever it best serves …. No issues.
Bobbers, Choppers and Anarchist, Misbehaviors and Non-Conformists alike …. Unite and GetLoud too …..
Well I bought my Classic in 2015 and I dressed it up for touring for a bit, then stripped her down to to get back to the gorgeous stock Classic look for a bit, then itried to push it into a Cafe’ flavor for a bit but nothing seems to suite me so now I’ve committed to Bobbing her. I don’t commute any more so all my daily rides are fair weather and are as much for fun UpOn2 as they are for errands of purpose. I’m not out to do anything but have some fun and be a little mischievous. I decided I’d put straight pipes on the girl and the sound is awesome … I know all the flack I’m going to get … everything from noise pollution to ecological doom and gloom … no arguments fellas … this thread is about bike mods and results not your political preference or country’s regulations … I live where there are no regulations like mufflers. So I can pretty much do what ever I want …(except lane split … not sure I’d do that even if I could)… so no bitching about my decisions … I ditched the cat and ran straight tubes down the sides … the further I go with the Bobber concept I have in mind the better they will begin to fit in … I think because I love my Corbin saddle I’m just going to do a custom hump-ectomy and shorten the seat, new tail light and plate configuration next …. Here’s what I have so far and I’ll post the rest later …
BeWell-StayUpOn2-DoWhatPleasesYou-TempusFugit Gentlemen…Blitz

After I cut the CAT I painted the trimmed headers in high heat flat black along with the new straight tubes … I decided to butt-to-butt the tubes rather than tig it up so if it were just unacceptable I could simply tig it back together (no chance) it’s nasty loud when I want it to be but reasonable when I want it to be as well…. Perfect. When this project is over I’ll post audio on a YouTube link.

View attachment 150506
I initially thought I’d extend the tubes further than the photo shows but the drive side device when in lowest position would interfear. The length has been adjusted for suspension movement and made equal in length for uniform back pressure, and there won’t be much of that. I know, burnt valves …..bla bla bla … I won’t live long enough to burn the damn valves …. besides …This sled is my Viking burial barge anyway. It’s going in the hole with me when I go … 🏍

View attachment 150505
The original exhaust has been cut just in front of the 2 into 1 … as far behind the O2 sensor as i
could get and have a straight tube …

View attachment 150504
I fabricated a support that will be strapped to the fiber wrapped tubes to support the tail pipes from the same support that held the CAT originally. Should look pretty clean …

View attachment 150508
View from underneath after CAT removed. That’s the original Cat bracket hanging on the right. I’ll use the same mount with a new device to hang the straight pipes …

Circles show location of butt-to-butt connectors and simple metal screws. High heat epoxy and high heat foil duct tape will finish off the tube before the fiberglass wrap to hide all the mods.

View attachment 150512
Detail showing exhaust tip and stainless tube clamps that will be painted flat black with high heat enamel along with entire exhaust manifold and all the fiberglass too. I think I’m going to paint the body work and most everything including my helmet with Raptor Urethane flexible Bed Liner all Black medium texture… Reminicent of the movie “Road Warrior” Vintage Goth …. I’m tired of nothing but Wunderlish looks on thi bike …. Blitz

View attachment 150511

I’ll finish the other side and crossover tomorrow … just to cold in the shed to continue tonight.
I’ll post more later as the mod progresses …. …… …… Blitz
Wow, another Duke-hardcore project! Awesome, man! Yeah, TX has its perks. The TÜV dude in Germany would have an instant heart attack, and the case would go to the Supreme Court, handing you > 12 years in some work camp in freezing East Germany.
I’d call this the GTS version (Greta Thunberg Special)!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ouch that's going be awfully loud!

Hope you wear plugs when you ride

If the bike is ever going to see rain or get washed, I'd recommend spraying the exhaust wrap with the appropriate sealent.

Just my experience on a bike I've got wrapped headers on, apart from the danger of rotting the pipes, the exhaust wrap (at least the brand I used) started to bleed colour when it got a soaking..............you also spray the black dye off the wrap all over the rest of the bike

·
Registered
238 Posts
England can be draconian, that's for sure. Loud pipes, loud cars, loud people..... welcome to America. I am rather lost on the "I'm alright Jack" Would you kindly give me an alternative idiom for that phrase. I'm guessing something like.....look at me??

Thanks
"I'm alright, Jack" is a British expression used to describe people who act only in their own best interests.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is going to be so F*cking loud..

Perhaps put some nice endcaps on it?
Funny you should say that Chris, I’m actually considering those floating covers you see on the tops of diesel trucks but balanced to work horizontally …. But that will be final touches and I’m a long way from bobbed at this point … this is first step but I took it because now I’m committed… feels good to focus and have goals again, besides it’s just to damn cold here in Texas to do any riding. Thanks for the comments Bro. …..Blitz

• Haha
Reactions: Norbi

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....you are my hero. Drag pipes work. Get the correct ID and correct length for that engine and it's magical.
Juice I originally thought for looks alone I’d run the pipes just past the edge of the back tire pretty long and level but I quickly realized the single swing arm when fully extended would come in contact if I kept the flat straight lines of the tubes so I opted to just cut back the pipes as long as I could and maintain the lines I really like … the diameter of the tube is the same as the header just behind the O2 sensor is 1 3/4” all the way to the tip. I’ll let you know how the performance is effected when the cold weather lets up. 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch that's going be awfully loud!

Hope you wear plugs when you ride

If the bike is ever going to see rain or get washed, I'd recommend spraying the exhaust wrap with the appropriate sealent.

Just my experience on a bike I've got wrapped headers on, apart from the danger of rotting the pipes, the exhaust wrap (at least the brand I used) started to bleed colour when it got a soaking..............you also spray the black dye off the wrap all over the rest of the bike
Thanks Weegie, my rides these day are at most an hour or so… ear plugs won’t be an issue, When I ride I have a set of Bose Headphones custom built into a full face deluxe F1, can’t hear a thing outside. 👍🏻 The rotted pipes that are wrapped and get wet and then get put up wet is like riding a horse in the rain and putting it up wet … no can do. That’s the fault of the rider not the wrap. You run the bike till their dry … the likely hood I go out knowing it might rain is zero. This is totally built for joy not utility of any kind .. otherwise I’d never get this radical and loose….

Reactions: Weegie

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
217 Posts
Fwiw.... I find it nice to see someone playing with their bike just like we did back in the 60/70/80's.... by playing I mean cutting, welding, experimenting in their garage.... not just bolting on their latest purchase (which also is part of it all off course). Long live the back yard mechanic.

Have fun!

PS... I've been making a front rack in my garage and just stopped because it's too hot!

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blitz my 2 cents only, you for sure won't want flapper covers at the end of the pipes because they'll just rattle like all get out. If also by chance your ears bleed too much or you may loose some performance you could always try something like these stuffed inside
J&P Cycles 12
Brilliant Buggins … you saved me much time Sir, thank you. Your right, if it’s just tooooo loud, and I hope it’s threshold sound barrier, I will add some muffler or baffle, your suggestion is good because it won’t break up the line or the look and that’s an important Bobber characteristic in my book. This is so much fun … I’ve broken the BMW stereotype and I’m off on an unlimited design hot-rod of a bike (always been my cup of tea) …. Non conforming ”old school” behavior is so naughty and fun, thanks for the thoughts. …….Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fwiw.... I find it nice to see someone playing with their bike just like we did back in the 60/70/80's.... by playing I mean cutting, welding, experimenting in their garage.... not just bolting on their latest purchase (which also is part of it all off course). Long live the back yard mechanic.

Have fun!

PS... I've been making a front rack in my garage and just stopped because it's too hot!
A man cut of the same cloth and thoughts … thanks for the encouragement and positive feed back … stay tuned, you will be pleased if I am given the time to complete this project. BeWell and StayUpOn2 … ……….Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
OK, latest, it’s late Saturday night and I’ve completely finished the wrapping of the pipes. After some investigation on YouTube I decided to paint them to get a flat non-gloss look that I’m going for, I initially used a satin black high heat spray that you see in the picture below but I think tomorrow I’m going for some flat black high heat for the final coat … I learned some tricks with the fiberglass and how much it will bend and stretch when coaxed properly and I wrapped the crossover tube as well … it looks good even close up. There are some good vids on YouTube of how to’s when wrapping pipes. Tomorrow I remount the headers and determine how I’m going to use the old cat bracket to suspend the tail properly and make it look good too. I may take a ride on Sunday to a gathering in Denton that has many shed builders like my self…. I’m looking for an English wheel, it’s time for a full wrap rear fender.
I’ll post more here later as the build continues …. I need some feed back from the forum from Bobber people on the wheels and tires I should use. I’m up for a tire change to some fat boys but I’d really like to keep my traditional wire wheels so that means tubed tires. What should I be looking for if I keep the stock Classic wire wheels …
If horses could fly and I could wish my way into a Bobber it would look like the one below as closely as I could make it … I even like the color combo. I wonder what those pipes sound like on that beauty. Now I know I’ll get no where near that particular lookbut I’ll take it as far as I can go …. For a modern bike … I won’t got to a springer front end but perhaps with a custom set of tripple tree replacements I could alter the pitch slightly. Who knows .. right now I need help picking tires that will give my bike that fat tire appearance. Got any hints I can investigate.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Here’s a pict of the finished wrap job, I mount them tomorrow. Very happy with the result.
Wood Engineering Machine Metal Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 182 Posts