BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
221 - 240 of 279 Posts

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 · (Edited)
Ye i think so.. it seems real smooth / deep in color compared to powdercoating.
PowderCoating and CeraKote is great …. Except both require….. the part must be separated from other parts to be painted, ..(so the motorbike is down the entire time).. most parts should undergo bead blasting to clean and better prepare the surface of the piece for paint, then the part must undergo baking in an oven for about 45 minutes at over 450°, and it must be electrically conductive to accept the electrostatic coating in the first place ..(the coating is held to the surface with static until baking bonds it permanently).. and any surfaces not requiring paint must be masked and protected. Once done … it’s GREAT ! It takes a great deal of time and effort but you won’t get a color treatment on metal that’s much tougher. It just takes the work and the money, and it’s not cheap either ………….. Blitz

Reactions: Chris.

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
I didn’t make it to the lake today, my sweet 81 year-old partner of almost 20 years is mending from elective hernia surgery and I needed to play nurse maid as she does for me more often than I’d care to admit. I’ll get better picts soon .,. Promise. I REALLY like the new look. Really ! …………..Blitz

· Premium Member
1,183 Posts
PowderCoating and CeraKote is great …. Except both require….. the part must be separated from other parts to be painted, ..(so the motorbike is down the entire time).. most parts should undergo bead blasting to clean and better prepare the surface of the piece for paint, then the part must undergo baking in an oven for about 45 minutes at over 450°, and it must be electrically conductive to accept the electrostatic coating in the first place ..(the coating is held to the surface with static until baking bonds it permanently).. and any surfaces not requiring paint must be masked and protected. Once done … it’s GREAT ! It takes a great deal of time and effort but you won’t get a color treatment on metal that’s much tougher. It just takes the work and the money, and it’s not cheap either ………….. Blitz
You could find a powdercoating company.. then ask them when they do the next batch of black parts. Small effort for them to chuck in your valve covers.

Here in the Netherlands i found a powdercoater in my own village. He delivers excelent quality and is very cheap. For example he asked 30 euro's for my snorkel.. 40 for the skidplate etc.

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
@Chris …It more about the time lost for me than for the permanence gained on the bike Mate … it’s not the money. We’re it not that I’m 73 and slowly loosing the battle for life ..(you’ll understand that attitude soon enough).. I’d go through the time, trouble and dedication to seek the perfection we all want. I have, …many times on many machines, …I’m just tired and frankly I’d rather be UpOn2 ..than working on2. My time to be in the shop… have paint on my hands, grease under my fingernails and bike parts scattered all over the shop has come and gone …… the pleasure in that has left me …I just want to feel the wind in my hair at 100 and hear that motor purr looking for just a bit more speed, thanks for your thoughts and your right ! Time is this strange silent creature that slowly sneaks up behind you and before you know it shuts down the show … ALWAYS before your done, it’s time to go ! Ride while the road greets you ….
GoFast/HaveFun …. Once a King Always a King ! Once a Knight is enough (at my age) BeWellMate ………………………… Blitz

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Water Vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Plant

OK … Mates … the largest portion of the new paint job is complete … I am more than happy with the results than I thought I’d ever be ….but it’s a brave-new world because it would be such a chore if you didn’t like it …and of course the resale would be horrible if that’s your eventual intent. However …. If you hate washing, buffing, polishing and shining your bike like I do it’s an amazing alternative …… no longer do I worry about scratches so it seems a perfect paint job for the adventure riders that are all about off-road treks usually through lots of scratchy sh*t. I dare you to try and key-it. Seems like everytime I had to park in public some a**hole would feel the need to mark my bike or try and steal a badge … NoMore!
There are a few minor issues to finish up … I don’t have a latch mechanism for the trunk yet designed, I have a tiny 12vdc solenoid I’d like to use and make it a hidden switch or remote …. I’ll post some picts of the tail light assembly lit that I finally settled in on, finished it but not refined it so some cosmetic work yet to do. The last major job will be to correctly (100%) re-wrap the front forks in flat black vinyl … only gold left showing is the tiny ring above the upper yoke, I may figure a way to cover it too. There is also a tiny back support cushion that attaches to the trunk to help my lower back that is missing from these photos I have to install too. After that I’m thinking I want a rear fender, not a full wrap but not some token strip either … and that just maybe the last major part of …. or as close as I’m going to get to ….. A Bobber … and I love it ! So I’ll post a few more YouTube video links here to show off the lights and pick up on the exhaust sounds too, but now I think I just want to ride for a while. I have to do a minor tune, plugs, valves etc …. By then I’ll be ready for a AustinAdventure again this year … any of you TexasBoyz that want to organize a run to the Capitol in a month or so from the Dallas area drop me a PM and we’ll put together an post a plan to caravan down … stay at least one night maybe two and head back …. Lemeknow ! ………………………….. Blitz

ofcourse … after putting it all together I have to trouble shoot a bad LED ….. yuck !
Eyewear Font Cool Artist Thigh
Musician Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Electronic instrument

Engineering Machine Artist Wrist Wood

Small round red LEDs (3 on each side) are turn indicators … horizontal red strips are BrakeLights ..,
Two BlueOnes ? Undecided …
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,324 Posts
Now - that’s a real BUILD. Well done! Looking forward to our ride together!

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Thanks @Dauphinais …Ray, I’m getting closer and closer. The bike-trailer is not far off at this point either. Rear fender is a must have if I’m going on any trips, …and I am, so that’s probably next … some minor details to finish until some other off center idea pops into my head and I go off on another tangent … what fun ! I’m outfitting the inside of the trunk right now …like it’s a RollsRoyce. All padded black leather ….. I’ll do a detail on it when the time comes to share.
What have you been doing to your ride my friend … ?

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Wow, awesome build! That bike looks like it belongs in some post apocalyptic wasteland in the year 2344.. Love it!
That’s an awesome complement in my head Chris, ThankYou. BeWell, RideHard, GoFast, HaveFun, StayUpOn2, TimeIsShort ! ……………………… Blitz

Reactions: Chris.

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
@BlitzSchnell, you got yourself a Mad Max bike there ... and kudos for modding outside the box. You built a unique machine. Love it!
Thanks man, I loved that movie. I haven’t finished the sketches yet but the single wheeled trailer I’m dreaming up will complete the “bug-out” look I’m going for and let me carry 3 times the weight I could otherwise… thanks for your time and valued opinions …. StayUpOn2 ……………………Blitz

· Premium Member
2022 BMW R nineT option 719
15 Posts
It’s no prob … Noel … it’s just we (DALLAS) are expecting 3-4” of F’n SNOW here in the next day or two …
WTF is that about ? This is TEXAS not Alaska damn it. I may as well go to sleep for three days. The closest I want to ice is in my glass with a bit of bourbon … not on the ground …. Horrible Just Horrible
Spent over 20 years in Minnesota and Winter almost always broke my heart until spring reared its head again. Moved to Florida in 2020, for that one reason - to be able to ride every single day - rain or shine; these roads are mine. The sound of that exhaust though, and the amazing work you did to get there - inspiring, truly.

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Spent over 20 years in Minnesota and Winter almost always broke my heart until spring reared its head again. Moved to Florida in 2020, for that one reason - to be able to ride every single day - rain or shine; these roads are mine. The sound of that exhaust though, and the amazing work you did to get there - inspiring, truly.
Kind Sir, thank you for you thoughts. I’m smiling Big and now my helmet won’t fit … it’s OK the swelling will go down in a minute or so ….. again thanks my friend. ……………………………….. Blitz

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
OK ,.. for those actually interested to keep track here are the latest up dated ………
I’ve ditched the rear luggage box I designed and fab’ed-up a new one I like better, still not finished but close then I have to deck spray it for the texture to match the tank. … shown are the latest mock ups … also the new trailer .. it’s Square/Plum/90°/PerfectBox… my wood mock up is becomes steel …. I’m about half way there ….all the set-up and welding is being done for me ..(because I can’t).. by a man who thirty years ago was my apprentice and now is a licensed certified master-welder, ..he’s also primarily responsible for both The Dallas Fine Arts Foundry and “DNA” Dallas Neighborhood Arts …
I’m so proud of him, he is so much better than I ever was at anything he try’s …. Thanks JD !
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wood Tool Table Gas Flooring
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Shopping cart Cart
Wood Gas Tool Engineering Toolroom

I expect to be doing road trial sometime mid January with the trailer … this is just the first step … many more steps to take .,. I’ll keep y’all posted too…. Blitz
P.S. note 2nd pict … I began to vinyl wrap the front shocks but it was just to cold to do it that night ……. I’ll get picts later ….

221 - 240 of 279 Posts