BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Well I saw a mirror set-up slung under the bars rather than the traditional over the bars and decided to flip my bar-end mirrors around and tuck them under my arms as well reduce the width of my bike by a full foot. Here’s the results … I haven’t road tested it yet but I like it ………………….Blitz
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Engineering Gas

Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

So now they point in and not out and there below the bars instead of over …. I think it works ….Blitz

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I saw a mirror set-up slung under the bars rather than the traditional over the bars and decided to flip my bar-end mirrors around and tuck them under my arms as well reduce the width of my bike by a full foot. Here’s the results … I haven’t road tested it yet but I like it ………………….Blitz
View attachment 156345
View attachment 156344
So now they point in and not out and there below the bars instead of over …. I think it works ….Blitz
Looks great but hard as hell to see anything

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it's great that they fold in, saves a lot of space. I also like the look of them being roughly the same size as or a bit smaller than the clock/instrument/gauge glass. As long as you can see! I have some new mirrors now to install and will achieve the look soon, except I plan to start with them pointing up at first and test it out before I commit to the look. Yours look great.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Looks great but hard as hell to see anything
You know I thought the same thing, like my arm would get in the way or something and I still haven’t done a traffic run yet …but from just sitting on the bike I think it going to work well. I use my mirrors to initially check before I change lanes but I always follow it up with a glance over my shoulder… so the need to identify or spot something specific in the mirror just isn’t there … either the lane is occupied or not and even a tiny mirror can tell you that. I think for my needs this new position will work great and I like the look sooooo much better than on top of the handlebars and sticking out like the ears on a dog. I’ll get back to you on how much you can or can’t see …. I could be wrong but I even think I’m going to like it better … I can check both mirrors with no head movement at all, just my eyes…. Before they were to far apart ……………..Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I think it's great that they fold in, saves a lot of space. I also like the look of them being roughly the same size as or a bit smaller than the clock/instrument/gauge glass. As long as you can see! I have some new mirrors now to install and will achieve the look soon, except I plan to start with them pointing up at first and test it out before I commit to the look. Yours look great.
I guess it depends on a number of things … you live in a State that permits lane splitting so the narrower your handle bars (including mirrors) the better … rear view mirrors on a motorcycle look ridiculous anyway… why can’t you just turn and look over your shoulder … but laws insist you have to have something… even if you don’t use it. My bar end mirrors ..(the ones I flipped over).. look like some dogs ears and the only thing I disliked even more were the original mirrors … this new position is good … I’ll know more after a ride in afternoon traffic ………..Blitz

·
Registered
'18 R nineT Scrambler, '63 Vespa 160gs
85 Posts
i have been following the other thread, where the mirrors were also down and in, - it really look different, in a good badass way. love it. i also agree, even though a constantly check my mirrors while riding, before commiting a lane change, i peek over to make sure.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
i have been following the other thread, where the mirrors were also down and in, - it really look different, in a good badass way. love it. i also agree, even though a constantly check my mirrors while riding, before commiting a lane change, i peek over to make sure.
@Anthonie .. one day it will save your life … use your mirrors but don’t ever trust what you see until you turn your head and confirm … it’s difficult in a car but easy on a bike … 👍🏻 I like the look too Anthonie ……. Anything that’s not normal …. I aim to misbehave or it ain’t no fun .,! ✌😎

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here’s a short video with sound ….. no justice here, it sounds so much better than this, recording can ever capture …. You can hear the sound but not the depth of the sound ………Blitz
But if you turn up the volume on your iPad, and hold it while you play the video, you get to feel the vibration while you hear the rumble.

Such an impressive project. 💪

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
But if you turn up the volume on your iPad, and hold it while you play the video, you get to feel the vibration while you hear the rumble.

Such an impressive project. 💪
Hey @Granitedigger… I went through 2years and considerable money bolting on every muffler, silencer, DB killer, glass pack and goofy device known to man … I finally pulled it all off and went with straight tube. That’s it, straight tube. It really didn’t work out as I had visualized. Using the original tubes from the heads and cutting them where I did pre-set the height from the ground that the straight tube would go. I actually wanted them to go just a bit past the back of tire, so they’d be about two feet longer than they ended up but the single swing arm in full extension would bump the one pipe. No can do, so I cut them short … but it was even better than I had hoped for. It finally sounded like a proper motorcycle not a Vespa scooter. It’s been that way now for some time and I have no intention of changing it. I love it. I’m lucky because I live in Texas and there are no decibel regulations in this State. I made no adjustments to anything (except the pipes) no re-tune or mapping adjustment. It runs great .. I push it through 130 regularly, briefly.. but regularly. No issues. You can make it reasonably mild by going easy on the throttle or really obnoxious by getting down on it ! I no longer have to rely on my horn so much in traffic. ….and I like my bikes loud anyway so it works for me. Each to his own. ………..Blitz

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Blitz, you are a beacon and an inspiration. 👏 👏 👏
I’d been wondering when you might begin your bobber transformation, and hoping that health issues weren’t interfering.
I guess I wasn’t paying sufficient attention, because now I discover this thread and find you’re well on your way -- fantastic!
So great to hear, figuratively and literally (the pipes).
Anyway, just wanted to say: I’m glad to find you’re taking on this project you’ve been dreaming of. Wishing you well on this next leg of your journey.
Best,
Cereal

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Blitz, you are a beacon and an inspiration. 👏 👏 👏
I’d been wondering when you might begin your bobber transformation, and hoping that health issues weren’t interfering.
I guess I wasn’t paying sufficient attention, because now I discover this thread and find you’re well on your way -- fantastic!
So great to hear, figuratively and literally (the pipes).
Anyway, just wanted to say: I’m glad to find you’re taking on this project you’ve been dreaming of. Wishing you well on this next leg of your journey.
Best,
Cereal
Your kind and encouraging words are taken to heart my friend and appreciated at a deep and meaningful level. I’ll keep keeping on as long as I can stand-up. I’m a bit frustrated these days, I keep getting interrupted with ever increasing medical issues right in the middle of my project .. I have to accept delays and be patient… literally ! Thanks for your feed back and be sure to check back in from time to time to see how the build is shaping up .. so far I’m really happy .. I’m about to do the major painting but I have to decommission Blitz for about a week and I will miss my daily rides very very much so I’m reluctant to begin … it WILL happen soon though .. stay tuned and StayUpOn2 Sir …………………Blitz

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Your kind and encouraging words are taken to heart my friend and appreciated at a deep and meaningful level. I’ll keep keeping on as long as I can stand-up. I’m a bit frustrated these days, I keep getting interrupted with ever increasing medical issues right in the middle of my project .. I have to accept delays and be patient… literally ! Thanks for your feed back and be sure to check back in from time to time to see how the build is shaping up .. so far I’m really happy .. I’m about to do the major painting but I have to decommission Blitz for about a week and I will miss my daily rides very very much so I’m reluctant to begin … it WILL happen soon though .. stay tuned and StayUpOn2 Sir …………………Blitz
You bet, Blitz. I'll be sure to keep checking in. (y)

Good luck with the painting. It'll be fun for us all to see -- WHENEVER you're able to make it happen. In other words, I know how long these things can take (takes me forever, it seems), and so we'll have to be patient right along with you!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Dont ur fingers / hands get trapped under the mirror? Or palms get ontop of the mirror when u try to accelerate?

Otherwise; very nice looking!
I don’t know @Chris. Perhaps your right … I’ll pay close attention when I go out to test it. I’m kind of under the weather at the moment and can’t mount-up and test. I’ll let you know as soon as I do 👍🏻…………Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Dont ur fingers / hands get trapped under the mirror? Or palms get ontop of the mirror when u try to accelerate?

Otherwise; very nice looking!
Well the only down side, if there is one … if I don’t locate my grip on the throttle a bit higher than I normally would my wrist will come in contact with the mirror under wide open throttle, full twist type… but not enough to limit my twist if I needed it. If I was set to race I’d have gotten up on the throttle grip anyway so I don’t see it as deal breaking … the mirrors will stay where they are for a bit now and see if I can get used to them … it sounds silly but now I wonder why I didn’t do it this way in the first place … originally my thoughts were to get the mirrors as far apart as possible, out on the ends of my handlebars ..perhaps more depth perception. I realized that I don’t use my bike mirrors in the same way I use mirrors in a “cager” style vehicle. On the bike I use them just to determine if anything is there, anything at all … then to confirm or challenge what I think I’m seeing I turn and look over my shoulder. EVERY TIME … I don’t fully trust what I see in a bike mirror so I look. When I’m in a car I tend to trust what I see in the mirror because it’s difficult to turn around … and I have three mirrors to confirm what I’m seeing in a car. On a bike every move of the bars changes what your looking at and it always takes me a second to figure out what EXACTLY am I looking at. especially at night when it’s just headlights … sooooo the new position mirrors collect no less data as far as I can tell so far … they clear my knees by over two inches and one inch to the tank lock to lock … no issues there … if issues develop I’ll get back to you … I need to put in some ride time first but damnit I like it …………………Blitz

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up. I believe everyone uses vehicle mirrors exactly like you described. The most interesting thing about the bike, and I noticed it too, is that you can move the handlebars to get a different view. The convex surface is going to do the work, I hope! Shiny side up!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up. I believe everyone uses vehicle mirrors exactly like you described. The most interesting thing about the bike, and I noticed it too, is that you can move the handlebars to get a different view. The convex surface is going to do the work, I hope! Shiny side up!
Unless there is Nothing in front of you for a long way … kind of split your attention between what’s in front of you with what’s behind you … glance at your mirrors but focus on what’s in front of you … it will almost always turn out that what’s in front of you will be more important than what’s behind you, almost. 👍🏻
StayUpOn2 @radchick1 ……. Blitz
P.S. please please be careful (and slow) when you split lanes .. it will no doubt be the most dangerous riding you will do UpOn2 out in Cali. Every car door you pass could be deadly …. Be VERY cautious and don’t get overconfident … at the very least thats a recipe for trouble and pain you don’t need. Stay smart, stay alive …… and have FUN2 !

141 - 160 of 195 Posts