BMW NineT Forum banner

241 - 260 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys - I'm about to install my ABMs and have one question (for now anyhow). If I am NOT adjusting the shocks do I still need to lift the front wheel with the jack ? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Do not lift the front wheel. You need to support the front of the bike with a jack or a stack of boards or something. Once you release the bolts on the triple tree, there is nothing supporting the front weight on the bike.

Take a close look and you will see what I mean. Lifting the front wheel will not help you in any way, you should support under the oil pan.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi i have ABM clip on touring now i set it to the highest but still not that comfortable, i'm 182cm can anyone share their setting. I think i need to adjust to pull back of the clip now is on standard.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have mine swept back to the max 80 degrees. However I also angled the fork clamps forward, as the default recommended position made the bars too wide and not swept back enough, so didnt look good.

At current settings, I have abt 10mm clearance from the tank at full lock

Attachments

Reactions: firstime911

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Guys - I'm about to install my ABMs and have one question (for now anyhow). If I am NOT adjusting the shocks do I still need to lift the front wheel with the jack ? Thanks for your help.
Hi mate, you only need to take off the top clamp to put the ABM's on no need to jack anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got it. Thanks man.

Do not lift the front wheel. You need to support the front of the bike with a jack or a stack of boards or something. Once you release the bolts on the triple tree, there is nothing supporting the front weight on the bike.

Take a close look and you will see what I mean. Lifting the front wheel will not help you in any way, you should support under the oil pan.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi mate, you only need to take off the top clamp to put the ABM's on no need to jack anything.
Yeas - was thinking the same but saw this posted on here somewhere.....

AC Schnitzer Clip-on bars BMW R nineT
2. Fitting
- Park vehicle securely and protect against falling
or rolling away.
- Protect fuel tank from damage.
- Use scissor jack to raise front wheel.
- On both sides of the vehicle:
Remove the handlebar end weights.
Remove rear-view mirror (remove lower fixing
screw).
Remove cables for grip heater/electrical units
from rubber straps and fixings.
Remove brake line from fixing/bracket. (Fig. 1)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You are correct, if you don't remove the lower clamp, there is no need to support the bike weight. That is only if you remove the upper and lower.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi, anyone has ABM C'on installed with ohlins front suspension? any problem on fitment or and scratch on front folk.. I'm having ABM C'on now and i'm ordering Ohlins front folk black.. just want to make sure is work fine with ABM.. thank you

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Hi, anyone has ABM C'on installed with ohlins front suspension? any problem on fitment or and scratch on front folk.. I'm having ABM C'on now and i'm ordering Ohlins front folk black.. just want to make sure is work fine with ABM.. thank you
Hi @firstime911 figment will be fine, make sure the clamps are wide open. You may have to put a small wedge of something like folded cardboard in the gap to open it a little and just take it slowly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm 6' 1 and I find them no more or less comfortable than the stock handlebars. New Rizoma mirrors came in today as well as bar ends. Got them installed. Hopefully these will give me a wider range of view than the Imolas.

Hi Maddmike, I was wondering if you could share what part numbers you used from rizoma for the reverse retro mirror set up you have on your ABM clip ons. I really like the look you have going with the short end caps, I really dont want to widen the bars by having long end caps with these mirrors.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Really nice clipons. Have sent pictures to my friend, he have been searching for something like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone considered installing the clip ons from a Triumph Thruxton R?
I have tried to find out who produces them but couldn't find them elsewhere
I found out that the forklegs of the Thruxton R have a diameter of 55MM as well.
I contacted a local Triumph dealer and he told me he could sell me a complete set of clip ons for the hefty sum of €405,-
But I think they look gorgeous and look quite comfortable. They don't let you lean as much forward as any other clip on.
I'm interested in your opinions

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
They look good. Check the diameter of the handlebars as you have to be sure the 9T grips and switchgear will fit.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone considered installing the clip ons from a Triumph Thruxton R?
I have tried to find out who produces them but couldn't find them elsewhere
I found out that the forklegs of the Thruxton R have a diameter of 55MM as well.
I contacted a local Triumph dealer and he told me he could sell me a complete set of clip ons for the hefty sum of €405,-
But I think they look gorgeous and look quite comfortable. They don't let you lean as much forward as any other clip on.
I'm interested in your opinions
9T fork is 46mm
On the new 2017 I think they are 43mm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I just measured the outer diameter of the gold colored upper tubes and they are 55MM
So i'm still conviced this might work.
(The chrome plated lower tubes are 46MM allright)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Well I just measured the outer diameter of the gold colored upper tubes and they are 55MM
So i'm still conviced this might work.
(The chrome plated lower tubes are 46MM allright)
Come back with pics if you end up doing it!

241 - 260 of 276 Posts