BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just thought I would share my rather sad story with a little bit of hope to get some leads to recover the bike...

I was at my friend's place in West Hampstead area in London for a BBQ. Street parked it right outside his house only to find out that it was gone a few hours later.

My guess is that these thieves came with a van or something and loaded the bike on to it. If they somehow started the bike and road away, I think I would have heard it as we were sitting outside in the garden.

I filed a police report immediately after I noticed that the bike was gone and was given a crime reference number. And 35 minutes after getting a reference number and the police officer on the phone saying that they will start investigating the issue, I got another email saying:
"We are sorry to hear that you have been the victim of crime. An investigator from the Metropolitan Police has looked carefully at your case and we are sorry to say that, with the evidence and leads available, it is unlikely that it will be possible to identify those responsible. We have therefore closed this case."

What devastates me more than the actual theft is the lack of support and enthusiasm from the police. I totally lost my faith in the system...

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my stolen baby and list of mods & distinctive features. If anyone does come across the bike or any of the parts for listing, please contact me.

Bike: R nine T Roadster 2015

Mods:
-RSD Valve cover
-Rizoma Elisse Mirror
-Fancy Bike Thing tail light
-BMW OEM Aluminum cowl/hump
-Custom Tank Badges

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

On the tank, there is a distinctive mark/deep scratch/ding
Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Photograph Motor vehicle

Thank you so much for your support!

Registered
I would be totally aggrieved if my bike was stolen and I do feel sorry for you. I don't want to upset you, however, in a jurisdiction the size of London, how many stolen vehicle reports would come in by the hour let alone a day? Factor in that police resources are stretched to the max at this time. Did you have a quality lock on your bike? Last comment from me is unless meaningful penalties are handed out to vehicle thieves this problem will only continue unfettered. 馃が

Premium Member
So sorry to hear your story @ecr9t .. My answer and what I do ALL the time .. lock BOTH wheels with disk locks AND I have a motion alarm 鈥 (Gorilla Brand) it is a two way pager/alarm that notifies me if there鈥檚 a violation by vibrating and beeping a key-fob in my pocket. Had you had one you鈥檇 have been alerted sitting in the back-yard at your barbecue as soon as they moved the bike at all 鈥nd if the wheels are locked that鈥檚 a bit difficult to do. 鈥.. it also has a loud alarm siren 鈥︹ it is literally the only way I鈥檒l park it anywhere in public. The reality is you won鈥檛 stop thief's 鈥ut if you can just slow them down long enough for you to get there in time to stop them 鈥︹︹︹ I鈥檓 in Texas and I live for that day ! 鈥︹︹︹︹ Blitz

Registered
2022 R Nine T
I feel for you, firstly having your bike stolen and then the ineptitude of the police. There are supposed to be over 10,000 officers from all over the UK to 'police' the funeral today.
I hope at least your insurance claim goes through ok.

Registered
21 R9T
I know the feeling, we need to take out bounty hunter insurance instead of normal insurance. Just with the drug heads and cooco club the poor cops are flat out before you add alcohol and the rest to the lunatic soup!
As I say- protestor's need to offer an alternative not just say stop, and they might be heard. This is our predicament, what we rely upon isn't there when needed- SO whats the alternative??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all your replies.

So, this happened one day I somewhat decided to let my guard down... I would have normally driven to my friend's place in my car but because of the travel disruptions/road blockages caused by the Queen's funeral, I decided to take my bike thinking that since it's a relatively decent residential area and that I will be parking right in front of his place during the daytime, so nothing would happen. There were no posts where I could chain the bike or anything, so only had the steering lock on.

Normally, I keep my bike in secure, locked garage or when I ride it out for joyrides, coffee etc, I never let it leave my sight, so haven't invested in a tracker.

Anyway, I know it is going to pretty unlikely that I will ever see my bike again but I just want to get the word out, especially to the biker community in London and wider U.K. - any ideas as to who I could contact? I have reached out to The Bike Shed to see if they could help with this but still waiting for a response...

At this point, I just want to catch the people behind this more than recovering my bike.

Registered
Very sorry for that matter!
Wonder how peaple can grab a motorbike while in the yard is a BBQ and the possibility that someone of the guests came across.
Did you know all folks ai this event?
The knowledge of the abcence of your officers due to the funeral was an invitation as well.

Registered
21 R9T
Thanks guys for all your replies.

So, this happened one day I somewhat decided to let my guard down... I would have normally driven to my friend's place in my car but because of the travel disruptions/road blockages caused by the Queen's funeral, I decided to take my bike thinking that since it's a relatively decent residential area and that I will be parking right in front of his place during the daytime, so nothing would happen. There were no posts where I could chain the bike or anything, so only had the steering lock on.

Normally, I keep my bike in secure, locked garage or when I ride it out for joyrides, coffee etc, I never let it leave my sight, so haven't invested in a tracker.

Anyway, I know it is going to pretty unlikely that I will ever see my bike again but I just want to get the word out, especially to the biker community in London and wider U.K. - any ideas as to who I could contact? I have reached out to The Bike Shed to see if they could help with this but still waiting for a response...

At this point, I just want to catch the people behind this more than recovering my bike.
I know in OZ you can't knock on a door without being filmed at least 3 times (porch pirates caused that), there are that many cameras everywhere. Is there a neighbour with a security camera that could help?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@UGS_Tom yes, there were 4 of us who are all friends.

@Fez my friend and I went around the neighbourhood/street to see if there are witnesses and CCTVs... London is usually full of CCTVs but that particular street had basically none :(

Left notes to those neighbours who didn't answer, so let's see....

Any ideas as to which biker social media channels I could contact to get the word out?

Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
Very sorry to hear about the stolen bike. I think the police on this side of the pond are equally apathetic when it comes to stolen vehicles.

Good luck with your search, but I sincerely hope you had full insurance coverage on the bike so you aren't left completely emptyhanded.

Registered
Best of luck ecr9t,
its a sad state of affairs especially no response from neighbours on top of the lack of police,
its bad when this is a regular occurrence in broad daylight,
i hope you get this resolved soon,

Administrator
I'm so sorry to hear about this! :( I wish you good luck in getting your bike back, or at least a quick and fair pay-out by the insurance company.

All the best, mate!

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that your nineT was stolen, I cross the fingers to get it back. What a strange reaction from the police.

Registered
Sorry to hear about your bike getting stolen. Since the local law enforcement agency doesn't want to do anything with your case. I would watch Facebook Market place, Craigs List and other UK websites that sell motorcycle parts to see if any of parts from your bike are put up for sale. You could be proactive and place ads with photos of your stolen bike. It'll make it a little harder for those ass--les to sell the bike.

Registered
First off, really sorry to hear the bad news, hope you鈥檙e ok..
Regarding the police response, I imagine it鈥檚 much the same as here in Australia.. the reason they close the case so fast is to allow you to claim a total loss from insurance.. if the case remains open insurance will not pay for a certain amount of time, here a friend had to wait 2 weeks and on the last day the police did find his car, with damage, in a car park. Instead of a total loss they covered the repair, but the car was obviously never the same.
I鈥檓 guessing with how much easier a bike is to hide they look at the recovery numbers and have tried to do you a favour to assist with an insurance claim.
Hope everything ends up ok mate.

Registered
Hi folks,

Just thought I would share my rather sad story with a little bit of hope to get some leads to recover the bike...

I was at my friend's place in West Hampstead area in London for a BBQ. Street parked it right outside his house only to find out that it was gone a few hours later.

My guess is that these thieves came with a van or something and loaded the bike on to it. If they somehow started the bike and road away, I think I would have heard it as we were sitting outside in the garden.

I filed a police report immediately after I noticed that the bike was gone and was given a crime reference number. And 35 minutes after getting a reference number and the police officer on the phone saying that they will start investigating the issue, I got another email saying:
"We are sorry to hear that you have been the victim of crime. An investigator from the Metropolitan Police has looked carefully at your case and we are sorry to say that, with the evidence and leads available, it is unlikely that it will be possible to identify those responsible. We have therefore closed this case."

What devastates me more than the actual theft is the lack of support and enthusiasm from the police. I totally lost my faith in the system...

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my stolen baby and list of mods & distinctive features. If anyone does come across the bike or any of the parts for listing, please contact me.

Bike: R nine T Roadster 2015

Mods:
-RSD Valve cover
-Rizoma Elisse Mirror
-Fancy Bike Thing tail light
-BMW OEM Aluminum cowl/hump
-Custom Tank Badges

View attachment 158155

View attachment 158154
View attachment 158153

On the tank, there is a distinctive mark/deep scratch/ding
View attachment 158152

Thank you so much for your support!
Hi
I'm a R9t owner. I also live in South London. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Sadly this is all to common in London especially. There are professional gangs, that target bikes. I would imagine that your bike would out of the country in a matter of days or hours even. Make sure you learn from this. I always chain my bike,preferably to a strong point. Even if I pop into a store for a few minutes. A bike left with just a steering lock is an easy target. Best luck for the future. Hope your insurance will pay out quickly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts