Then it went to this

I always lusted for the Unit Garage Paris Dakar kit, so here it is today:

To finish up this dream bike, i just received the last parts:
  • complete Zard exhaust ceramic coated.
  • Ohlins FS211 cartridge kit
  • Wilbers 642 shock
  • Wilbers steering damper
Will update with pictures soon.

I’m really grateful for this forum, and it’s invaluable source of information. It definitely made my life (a lot) easier.

·
Administrator
11,926 Posts
Great looking bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
179 Posts
Do you mind taking a side photo from about 6 feet away? this interested me in the tank. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
179 Posts
I looked the part up 6 months ago when you first posted. My other question was how does the paint hold up? Other than that as a concern it seems like an upgrade I’m interested in. The added fuel storage is the biggest selling point. And relooking at your photos I can eliminate my snorkel cover (I removed my air box) seems to be uniform for the tank on both sides. I like the look.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only have the tank for about 6 months, the paint looks good. It’s not a metal tank btw..
Are you planning to get only the tank? In my opinion, the Ninet looks unbalanced if you don’t add the other parts of the kit as well.

ps.: if you are planning to buy the tank only for the extra fuel storage, take into consideration the reserve will come up as if you have the regular tank, but you can ride +100km on reserve.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
179 Posts
That’s why I asked about the paint because i saw it wasn’t metal. That’s the drawback to me. Yes I was only planning on the tank. It’s an expensive tank to buy unpainted to end up unhappy though. 🤷🏼‍♂️ good to get your take on the visual.

And good to know about the reserve issue. I’m getting 202km - 234km for a bone dry tank with road riding. On a longer off road ride I’d rather have the tank storage than a rotapak or something comparable. Some events I need around 160km of capacity or more. I don’t want that tight window.

i noticed I need to keep the pump and filler cap anything else to transfer over?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s why I asked about the paint because i saw it wasn’t metal. That’s the drawback to me. Yes I was only planning on the tank. It’s an expensive tank to buy unpainted to end up unhappy though. 🤷🏼‍♂️ good to get your take on the visual.

And good to know about the reserve issue. I’m getting 202km - 234km for a bone dry tank with road riding. On a longer off road ride I’d rather have the tank storage than a rotapak or something comparable. Some events I need around 160km of capacity or more. I don’t want that tight window.

i noticed I need to keep the pump and filler cap anything else to transfer over?
That’s all. If you plan to keep the original seat, you would also need an extra bracket.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If I am back road riding, and not blasting down the Interstate, I routinely go 260km before the light comes on. Riding gravel and keeping it below 55 all day I have exceeded 300km on multiple occasions.

I'd love more range but the Unit Garage at 1,900 Euros for 5.5 litres is a hard swallow when I can get 5 litres of approved fuel storage for $35US buying a pair of Givi 2.5 litre bottles.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
179 Posts
@SDC Are you referring to this as the needed bracket?

@GapRunr yeah I have read other people have gotten much better economy on here over the years of me having my bike. I’ve been bummed, but from what I have read different engines will provide different kilometers per liter than others even when used exactly the same way. Similar to dyno figures showing fluctuation for power figures across “the same engine” (different engine but same make, model, etc)

furthermore, I absolutely agree it’s the unintelligent way to solve the problem based on cost. It’s the more money than brains approach. But to me there are a few advantages (which still doesn’t make a lot of sense money wise). The gas is already in the tank I don’t have to pull over to fill it. It saves real estate on the bike too. It affects the overall cosmetics of the bike to have a plate with a largish red rota pack bolted on. I don’t want to lose pillion capability either. However, the added weight and fuel slosh will change the handling characteristics in technical sections when compared to dividing up the fuel in the aforementioned two containers. I’ve seen the rear fuel tanks on some bikes and when I get further along in the rear suspension development I may try to fabricate something like that as well. I’d like to have it and not need it versus need it and not have it.
I’m currently on a hiatus from the building of the bike with a diversion of fixing a 4Runner and light customization and modification.

I don’t want to hijack or derail this thread anymore though. thanks for the insight @SDC! I like the build and look of the bike!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts