BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll happy to be here love my new R9T, but I can't get something out of my head. It is hard for me to describe because I'm not super savvy when it comes to suspension dynamics on motorcycles, but turning my R75/5 "feels" much better.

My R9T turns very quick don't get me wrong, but it's too quick, I'd like some more resistance. Easiest way to remedy this? Where I could go screaming into a corner on my R75 I feel very tentative on my R9T. My steering felt super stable, I could set it and forget it and my wheels felt like they gripped the rode better despite the smaller rubber. Maybe I just need more time with the R9T to get used to do the different configuration, but I was hoping there was something I could do to stiffen up the steering.

Also the rear suspension can't even take small bumps, if I don't raise my butt off the seat it starts to get painful. Where my R75 is very comfortable, but still hunkered down perfectly in the turns.

Any tips appreciated!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Suggestions:
Turning resistance - replace the steering damper with an after-market adjustable unit.
OR
Play with the steering geometry by raising/lowering the forks (caveat: not something I would do)
Rear shock - replace with an after-market unit (there is a to of info on the forum for this)

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll look into a steering dampener and rear shock. Been watching some videos and it seems the shock is pretty recommended.

I thought I'd attach a side by side comparison of me cornering on both bikes in the same turn. Just to see if anyone noticed anything. I can already tell that the weight is a lot lower on the older bike, so that might account for some of the difference in feeling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
604 Posts
Welcome - Please take a moment and introduce yourself to the forum. I've also sent you an IM with more explanation and directions.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yes the dampener could be adjusted ...... or you could just lean into the turn a bit more twist the grip ....and go faster ! Just kidding MM (NOT) my answer to everything is do it faster. What’s your tire pressure ? There’s many thoughts on this adjustment. I’ve run it high and low and what works for me (with high speed road tires) is 36 front 46 rear. There’s a lot of debate, and tuning your suspension is critical. Some run it stock and some spend a bunch of money on springs and such. Try all the ideas. Do you trail brake the front wheel? That makes a huge difference. Enter the corner at a negotiable speed, trail brake, look for the apex and accelerate out..... be aggressive and you bike will respond. She’s an R9T and comparing her to anything else is futile. Unique is a good word. HaveFun-GoFast ! .......
Oh yeah ..... Welcome to the Forum. Kick your feet up, make your self at home. Lots of answers here, lots of opinion, lots a friends too. You’ll fit in just fine.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Thanks I'll look into a steering dampener and rear shock. Been watching some videos and it seems the shock is pretty recommended.

I thought I'd attach a side by side comparison of me cornering on both bikes in the same turn. Just to see if anyone noticed anything. I can already tell that the weight is a lot lower on the older bike, so that might account for some of the difference in feeling.
I bought the Ohlins adjustable steering damper and thought it made a huge difference in the steering and stability. I also have the Ohlins suspension and would recommend you replace the shock as soon as you can. The Ohlins is very performance oriented, I don't find it smooth over small bumps but the faster and harder I go the better it works. There are others that are better for touring, smoother on regular road irregularities that our stock shock fails to absorb. Read some of the suspension threads, look at Wilbers especially. A friend bought the Wilbers and it seems to do everything great.

Looking at the included photos, you look like you're leaning into the corner more on the R9T, so the bike will be more upright if you're going the same speed. On your R75 you appear to be upright or even slightly leaning to the outside of the corner, like a flat track racer. That will make you lean the bike into the turn much more. It's hard to tell with just those 2 shots, but I'm looking at your elbows and your spine and neck angles. See how much straighter your left arm is on the R9T? How bent your elbow is on the R75???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey ya'll happy to be here love my new R9T, but I can't get something out of my head. It is hard for me to describe because I'm not super savvy when it comes to suspension dynamics on motorcycles, but turning my R75/5 "feels" much better.

My R9T turns very quick don't get me wrong, but it's too quick, I'd like some more resistance. Easiest way to remedy this? Where I could go screaming into a corner on my R75 I feel very tentative on my R9T. My steering felt super stable, I could set it and forget it and my wheels felt like they gripped the rode better despite the smaller rubber. Maybe I just need more time with the R9T to get used to do the different configuration, but I was hoping there was something I could do to stiffen up the steering.

Also the rear suspension can't even take small bumps, if I don't raise my butt off the seat it starts to get painful. Where my R75 is very comfortable, but still hunkered down perfectly in the turns.

Any tips appreciated!
I say give it more time. I went from 20+ years on an r90 to the r nine t and yes the R9t is more responsive... not just steering but brakes and engine as well. After a few months I got back on the r90 and it seemed clunky. I‘ve since upgraded the rear shock on the r nine t and I would say it is now even more confidence inspiring in the corners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
you could also go with narrower bars to decrease the leverage of the wide stock bars. @BaldyDave has mentioned installing Rizoma bars like the MA009 removed some of the twitchiness of the steering.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AGREED, my R75/6 is more of a joy to ride that my R9T. Better suspension and handles rough highways much, much better. It's simply fun to ride. HOWEVER, by comparison, my old airhead has almost no power. So I find myself riding the R9T most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,638 Posts
I think all comments about shaping your 9T to your needs before mine have merit.

Yes a better steering damper will help a bit, as will narrower bars (which for me also stopped my numb wrist as my wrists and hands were for me at a better and more natural angle).

However I do think that you should ride your bike a bit more before leaping to all sorts of mods. It might just be too much of a culture shock jumping from an old and stable bike that you have gotten used to for many years to a more sharp handling beast. After a few weeks then think about where you are and how much you still need to go to make your bike yours.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
313 Posts
However I do think that you should ride your bike a bit more before leaping to all sorts of mods. It might just be too much of a culture shock jumping from an old and stable bike that you have gotten used to for many years to a more sharp handling beast. After a few weeks then think about where you are and how much you still need to go to make your bike yours.
100% agree with this advice. I don't think it is any necessary fault of the bike at the moment just new owner jitters.

Looking at your photo (though its hard because of the watermark) your body position and line look more hesitant to me on your R9T. Your elbows and knees both look wider and not relaxed. It looks like the same bit of road and you seem to be mucht tighter to the inside shoulder, which tells me you probably turned in either earlier or harder. So to me it just looks like you are more hesitant and less confident on this bike at the moment. Give it some time to grow on you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have a 1973 R75/6. one of the early models and I picked it up over a a year ago
Yes I love it and I learned more from fixing that than my 9T

its true it brings smiles to your face when you ride the R/75 but its not the same technology
Its a 40 year old all around less of a bike. I do not ride it as much as the 9T and that tells me that its just a nice ride

Maybe the riders from those bikes should try a 9T scrambler because again the front wheel size does make a difference on how you turn ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys for all the replies. I think indeed I do need to give it a few more weeks before making any decisions. Riding her back from her first service she felt much better, unfortunately I didn't get to speak with the service manager to see if he adjusted the settings at all, but she did feel better on the ride home (I'm lucky that the Malibu canyons are between me and my dealer.)

For the photo reference, yall made some great observations and it made me realize that the reason I'm probably more comfortable is because the older bike is similar to my dirt riding position (which I've been doing for 20 years.) I've been adjusting my riding style and trying a bit of sportier position on the new bike.

Agreed @Estancio it's hard to go back given the power difference 😂 looks like my poor R75 will be sitting until I can afford some upgrades to make her a bit more spirited.

I'll give it to the end of February before I make any changes.
List of mods:
Ohlins Steering Dampener
Ohlins Fork Cartridges
Ohlins BM652 Rear Shock

Handlebars are something I hadn't put too much thought into, but I'll definitely look into it. A guy I know runs clip ons which I'd be curious to try. I think my R75s bar are lower than my 9t as well.

All said thank you again fellas appreciate the wealth of knowledge here and I'll definitely make a proper post introducing myself in the next few days. Hope to see yall out on the road!

·
Registered
599 Posts
You can do better than Ohlins if you want to put in the effort, especially at the rear, that's because the Ohlins is sold as an off the shelf unit, MUCH better than the stock rear shock, granted, but the likes of K-Tech, Wilbers and Nitron will build you a bespoke shock to suit YOU for less money. food for thought.....

I definitely would not rely on the steering damper to make the bike more likeable, an adjustable damper has many benefits and i predict that if you install one and crank up the resistance to make the bike more familiar or comfortable you will likely be dialing it off as you grow more confident/comfortable with it, which is no bad thing i guess, and i have a Hyperpro which is almost all the way backed off.

The R9T is a world away from the 75/5, the closest to that that i have tried is an R80 with horrible Bing carburettors and it was umm, charming! yeah that's the word i'm looking for.... you have likely had it a while and it's like an old pair of slippers, just give it time to acclimate to your new ride. Just a guess but the sit on top feel rather than sitting in it and the lively throttle might be making you a little nervous by comparison but a few weeks in and you will probably forget about the 75/5 under the sheet in the corner.....

Generally speaking the less power a bike makes the better it handles, well, not really, but the less stressed the bike is and the easier it is to control so having more power you may be putting inputs into the bike like your old one and it responds differently, don't know, but these are a very neutral handling bike and usually the complaints or comments centre around the crap rear shock or the ergos.

welcome aboard and good luck, we all love modifying them and encouraging others to spend their wad as well but like others have said, hold off a bit, get used to each other and see where it leads, bit like a new girlfriend....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 1983 R100S that I really enjoyed in the twisties, it could also be the narrower tires (mine are 100/90/19 front, 110/90/18 rear) that make the bike more nimble and easier to tip in compared to the R9T rubber. Give it some time, experiment with body position, and just try to enjoy the bike without too much expectation. Hopefully you'll find it becoming more natural to you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is great, I very much feel like a part of my family, my soul ship fellow seaman are all around me when I hang on this forum. I also plan to buy an older BMW R100 RS one day soon. It's been a long time dream to rebuild one older machine like that, do everything with my own 2 hands... Make it a naked, brat style tracker for weekend cooler cruises and custom build scene. I love the way those old timers behave and ride stable and good. Old airhed's are very different from the 9T and special. So when I was riding one last summer I was resetting my rider behaviour and expectations, not expecting it would ride like the 9T. So even though this R80 was born in 1983 it was Upgraded a fair bit and made lighter. Still it was not as fast nor as precise or as nimble as my 9T. That's why I loved it, every ride has got their own character, essential to how one should ride it. A good rider can adjust and feel the machine right away. At least that's how my experience played out. Maybe this is only in my mind, can't be sure. But I seriously doubt it.

Cheers Riders :unsure: 🥶:D;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree, the suspension on the /5 is an easier ride than the crap that came with your R9T, the bike won't feel or ride well until you change it at both ends. The /5 is what you are comfortable with like a favourite old pair of shoes. My older brother is a classic/vintage bloke, rides old bikes daily, he had a ride on my 1150adv some years back and said it didn't feel "right" for him. I wouldn't be spending any money on another steering damper, but repeating, suspension at each end then your bike will become a tool you look forward to using. Don't ever sell the /5!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't make a true claim for the comfort and steadiness of the ride on old original air head's. The R80 I roud was a highly modified bike, allot lighter then original. Had very highly spect components, shocks and an upgraded fork. But even in stock form my 9T Roadster was a more nimble and easier bike to ride. Not to mention smoother on the shifts and much faster. Stock suspension isn't perfect but it's far from bad or none responsive. It may be a bit harsh, I still never have a problem with it when I wanna ride faster. I agree it's very smart to upgrade to even greater after market components and have the 9T ride like a dream. It's definitely one of the first mods I plan to get done this Spring. Once it's done my Roadster will have no other short comings of any kind, the rest of the mods will be more for my pleasure than a serious need to correct any other problem. So sorry soulmate's to say it bothers me to read when people write stock suspension is crap or offensive or other bad things. It's not perfect but it's not crap or cheap it's still better than average and many other bikes in this price range.

Cheers Riders ;) :unsure: 🥶 🥶

·
Registered
102 Posts
I own both a 78 r100s and my NineT. They are very different despite being both boxers by BMW. It did take a while for me to feel confident. Bike is wider and the tires really didn’t inspire confidence for me (lower pressures helped). I will say the rear spring is a POS and the sooner you change it out the better... world of difference! The larger quicker revving engine also takes some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
A different set Of tires would make a difference also.
i won’t ad anything as there is a lot of good advice here and would just be redundant.
really I just wanted to say I dig your older bike it’s looking good.
i changed the suspension to Öhlins had the springs changed to my weight and setup by my suspension guy. I get the bike back next week so I can’t wait to ride it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts