BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
I can't make a true claim for the comfort and steadiness of the ride on old original air head's. The R80 I roud was a highly modified bike, allot lighter then original. Had very highly spect components, shocks and an upgraded fork. But even in stock form my 9T Roadster was a more nimble and easier bike to ride. Not to mention smoother on the shifts and much faster. Stock suspension isn't perfect but it's far from bad or none responsive. It may be a bit harsh, I still never have a problem with it when I wanna ride faster. I agree it's very smart to upgrade to even greater after market components and have the 9T ride like a dream. It's definitely one of the first mods I plan to get done this Spring. Once it's done my Roadster will have no other short comings of any kind, the rest of the mods will be more for my pleasure than a serious need to correct any other problem. So sorry soulmate's to say it bothers me to read when people write stock suspension is crap or offensive or other bad things. It's not perfect but it's not crap or cheap it's still better than average and many other bikes in this price range.

Cheers Riders ;) :unsure: 馃ザ 馃ザ
No, it really is crap for this price point. We all love these bikes, but don鈥檛 try to defend the indefensible.

Super Moderator
No, it really is crap for this price point. We all love these bikes, but don鈥檛 try to defend the indefensible.
I hate it when you sit on the fence Tony, why not just tell it like it really is... ;) 馃ぃ

I think the stock suspension is borderline acceptable. Certainly a lot of members on here seem to get on quite OK with what BMW supplied. However once you either try a bike with upgrades or fit upgraded suspension yourself, then there is nooooo going back to the stock stuff... You then realise the type of bike it should have been from the start.

But I guess I'm at risk of taking this thread further off-topic so I'll just say that really the OP has to decide for himself about how his bike rides compared to his old boxer. Best way is for him to ride the 9T for a while and then see where he wants to take things. It might just be about getting used to a modern boxer...

Registered
As far as handling, my '73 Norton Commando was a more comfortable daily rider bike for me here in Mexico than my '14 R9T as far as dealing with the wide range of roads - cobblestones, rutted dirt/gravel, winding secondary roads, and interstate-type roads. That was pretty disappointing so I installed the Ohlins cartridges/rear shock which improved things considerably. The other thing I did that made a major improvement was to REMOVE the steering damper. I did that three years ago and have never replaced it. I've thought about buying the Ohlins adjustable damper but since I generally prefer the feel/handling of the bike with no damper, I haven't seen any point to spending the money.

OTOH, I will admit that the steering damper is nice on lengthy highway stretches because it reduces rider fatigue. But on the fun roads, it does the opposite for me, making the bike too stiff and heavy-feeling. If the Ohlins damper can be adjusted to 'completely off' I might consider it. Hey, at least it looks cool! :)

Registered
I have a 1973 R75/6. one of the early models and I picked it up over a a year ago
Yes I love it and I learned more from fixing that than my 9T

its true it brings smiles to your face when you ride the R/75 but its not the same technology
Its a 40 year old all around less of a bike. I do not ride it as much as the 9T and that tells me that its just a nice ride

Maybe the riders from those bikes should try a 9T scrambler because again the front wheel size does make a difference on how you turn ?
Yes my Scrambler reminds me of the bikes I rode back in the 1970s, but with better power and less vibration.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts