BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s the new fitness regime for battling pandemic pounds. Ride bike at least a mile from home. Push back. Bonus points for laughing each and every time someone says, “Have you tried riding it?” 😂

Good times.

I’m currently in the drink-a-cocktail portion of diagnosing the problem. My assumption is that the battery has failed. Bike has enough juice to turn the engine over but not much more. It’s on the charger.

Of course I’ve got a battery in the shopping cart of a certain online monstrosity.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My assumption is that the battery has failed. Bike has enough juice to turn the engine over but not much more. It’s on the charger.
With the on board 720 Watt output I can't imagine the bike not being able to run once it is started. Unless the battery is grounding out from a shorted cell or something, but I would expect a warning light and the battery icon to trigger if the battery voltage was too low.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With the on board 720 Watt output I can't imagine the bike not being able to run once it is started. Unless the battery is grounding out from a shorted cell or something, but I would expect a warning light and the battery icon to trigger if the battery voltage was too low.
I would too. But I liked my fantasy of just needing a happier battery.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
For the first time in my 22+ years and north of 150k miles (or is it 200k? I’ve lost track) on various BMWs, I will make use of a warranty. I’ll use roadside assistance and deliver it the shop early next week.

This is the first time I’ve been stranded by any of them due to mechanical failure. Even when I killed a deer at speed on the second day that I owned the bike, I rode my r1150gs another 300+ miles home.

Mostly I’m just laughing at how much the push home hurt yesterday. And now today. And soon tomorrow. I am soft. So soft. Countless millions do as much or more just to get their daily water. Poor Scott and his toy transportation. 😂

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
256 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. At least this is an easier bike to push than say, a Road King or Goldwing. ;)

I hope the dealer shop gets it sorted fast. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
For the first time in my 22+ years and north of 150k miles (or is it 200k? I’ve lost track) on various BMWs, I will make use of a warranty. I’ll use roadside assistance and deliver it the shop early next week.

This is the first time I’ve been stranded by any of them due to mechanical failure. Even when I killed a deer at speed on the second day that I owned the bike, I rode my r1150gs another 300+ miles home.

Mostly I’m just laughing at how much the push home hurt yesterday. And now today. And soon tomorrow. I am soft. So soft. Countless millions do as much or more just to get their daily water. Poor Scott and his toy transportation. 😂
Hi gristle,
Always wondered about those people who walk miles just for water every day.....why don’t they just up sticks and move nearer to the water supply?
Ken.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. At least this is an easier bike to push than say, a Road King or Goldwing. ;)

I hope the dealer shop gets it sorted fast. Good luck!
You strike me as a ‘glass half full’ kinda guy there TimC ;)

Sorry to hear about your misadventure Gristle, hope it gets sorted soon and painlessly.

Reactions: TimC

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi gristle,
Always wondered about those people who walk miles just for water every day.....why don’t they just up sticks and move nearer to the water supply?
Ken.
We need water. But we also need other resources, including land. We can, to an extent, share a water source but we can only share so much space. Further, the water sources often change over time. Wells run dry or a closer water source is seasonal. Or what was a quality source can become polluted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where I live - it never seems to stop raining and I sometimes envy those who live in warmer, drier environs. My fellow residents are never short of water and suffer all sorts of health issues related to living with dampness, the cold and poverty. I get really frustrated riding a bike in the rain and often dream of living in country where the sun shines regularly and the tarmac is warm and smooth. On the other hand, the rain helps the fields stay green and the dairy cattle have a high milk yield .......

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
70 Posts
They say no question is stupid. So here goes - why would the bike limp because of the dead battery? Worst case the battery won’t charge but you could still do a push start? Am I still living in the 90s?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a stupid question. You (we?) are somewhat living in the 90’s. These bikes aren’t as sensitive as some more modern machines, but with more and more tech, the bikes are less tolerant of low voltage situations. And while these bikes have a big 720w alternator, they’re not generating much power at low RPMs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had to update my thinking regarding the electrical systems on 'modern' bikes. I had a problem getting a KTM to start - battery was strong enough to turn the engine over but it just refused to fire up. Apparently the ECU was sensing that the battery may have enough grunt to turn the engine over but it wasn't sensing enough to switch on the other systems and therefore just shut them down and the bike was never going to fire up. So there was silly me thinking that as long as a battery had enough power to turn an engine over it would fire up. Put a new battery in the bike and it fired up straight away - wow! - just like voodoo magic. Looks like the days of 'bump' starting a bike or using a kick-start are totally redundant. Also in the battle to save the planet, save weight, save money etc most motorcycle batteries are specified to just meet the manufacturer's basic requirements when new - which means that as the battery ages it can struggle to meet the bike's electrical needs - one of the reasons that I have the R9T battery hooked up to an Optimate whenever the bike is in the shed.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
256 Posts
I have had to update my thinking regarding the electrical systems on 'modern' bikes. I had a problem getting a KTM to start - battery was strong enough to turn the engine over but it just refused to fire up. Apparently the ECU was sensing that the battery may have enough grunt to turn the engine over but it wasn't sensing enough to switch on the other systems and therefore just shut them down and the bike was never going to fire up. So there was silly me thinking that as long as a battery had enough power to turn an engine over it would fire up. Put a new battery in the bike and it fired up straight away - wow! - just like voodoo magic. Looks like the days of 'bump' starting a bike or using a kick-start are totally redundant. Also in the battle to save the planet, save weight, save money etc most motorcycle batteries are specified to just meet the manufacturer's basic requirements when new - which means that as the battery ages it can struggle to meet the bike's electrical needs - one of the reasons that I have the R9T battery hooked up to an Optimate whenever the bike is in the shed.
I've never been into vintage bikes, but I'd guess one reason so many people are is the simplicity of the machines. No overly complicated electronics, and nearly everything is mechanical. I can't blame folks for liking such designs. We like to think of our R9Ts as being pretty simple, but in my opinion they're really only simple compared to other modern bikes. We have fuel injection, ABS, ASC, heated grips, digital displays, and more. Compared to an old Norton, Triumph, or Bultaco, the R9T is quite modern and complex.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well... I can’t quite blame BMW.

I finally had some time to look at the bike to see if there was anything obvious before I had it picked up.

One of the fuel line disconnects under the tank had ... disconnected. I hope/assume that I’d partially dislodged it when I ran the wiring for the driving lights I installed a few weeks ago. Moving the tank around does put some tension on that connection. At least it popped out rather than breaking and spilling gas everywhere.

Knowing how bad these plastic bits can be, I’m going to order some the metal upgrades.

The bike started right up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts