BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven’t experience the other R9T seats first hand but I’ve read they’re not the most comfortable.

I’ve got 1600 miles on my /5 and I can tell you the seat is the most comfortable stock seat I’ve ever ridden. The single longest day was 260 miles through beautiful twisted roads in northeastern Pennsylvania.
Perhaps other/5 owners with more experience can chime in. I understand BMW is going to offer the seat as an accessory?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,975 Posts
I understand BMW is going to offer the seat as an accessory?
I've been scouring the spare parts lists for something to come up, but still waiting . . .

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
My dealer has a /5 on the floor and when I sat on it I immediately felt how much better the seat is. Much softer and plusher. Sometimes a seat can be too soft and start to get uncomfortable after a couple hours, so it's good to hear you say they found the right balance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer has a /5 on the floor and when I sat on it I immediately felt how much better the seat is. Much softer and plusher. Sometimes a seat can be too soft and start to get uncomfortable after a couple hours, so it's good to hear you say they found the right balance.
When I first sat on mine, I was concerned about that softness, thinking it wouldn’t provide enough support. It does for me, however. I weigh 200lbs and as I mentioned I’ve put a fair amount of miles. Multiple 100+ mile rides.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My seat on my roadster '14 is just great, I have no complaints about the comfort. I DON'T like the black material they used to uholster it. I believe it deserves a much cooler and more unique look. So since I am changing it anyway I might make sure I make it just a bit more comfortable. But I don't wanna make it any thicker, because it looks just right in the way of thickness. I have a design in mind that will look even better but no thicker or longer. I'll post it when I get it done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this seat is going to be on my shoping list soon for my UGS. Hope it looks good
Mine has those chrome details to blend with the throwback styling. If BMW is smart, they’ll offer the seat in a style that more closely matches the other versions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Upholstery takes time to relax and break-in. I always think its kind of BS when a moto journalist complains about a seat being uncomfortable on a machine with 5 miles so far. Imagine a review for Doc Martens when new, vs having 100 hours in them. Huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,975 Posts
I've been scouring the spare parts lists for something to come up, but still waiting . . .
And Xmas is coming early. . . . ?
Ordered a /5 seat today as it has appeared on the Pure parts lists.
Seat Bench, Black - 52 53 9 444 604
Retaining Bridge - 52 53 8 546 486
You only need the retaining bridge if you are going from the dual single seats to a full bench.

I can't wait, yippee. ?

Reactions: Cropduster

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was at the Moto Show in NYC over the weekend and sat on the new /5. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was compared to the stock seat on my Pure. Any one know where I can get this or if it will be made available as a separate item?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,975 Posts
Any one know where I can get this or if it will be made available as a separate item?
I have merged your post into this existing thread that already discusses the new seat.
Please have a read back through the above earlier posts to get the answers.
I have just received my seat, very nice! :love:

Reactions: erikpatton

·
Registered
211 Posts
It'll most likely be available at BMW dealers as a spare part, I imagine it'll be at least $600 (limited edition value), I think regular saddles are $450? A local re-upholster should be about $350-450 depending on materials and details, and I bet they'd be able to embroider a BMW logo rather than just do a cheap screen print.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
From BMW Dublin (Ireland)
Seat Bench, Black - 52 53 9 444 604 €470
Retaining Bridge - 52 53 8 546 486 €43

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,975 Posts
Haven't ridden on it yet but really like the look, certainly the retro look I am after. (y)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts