·
Registered
R nineT /5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

New NineT /5 owner here.

I live just outside Philadelphia.

Have been riding a while. As my username suggests, it's primarily been Triumphs.

This is my first BMW, and it's a beaut. I've test-ridden a number of them, and in fact a 2011 or 2012 RT first introduced me to this completely charming air-oil cooled 1170cc lump'o'fun. Wind it up when you want, or let it gently cover the miles to take you home. Or on an adventure. But never really liked all that fairing / plastic / weight and size. Thrilled to have the same engine in a lighter, nimbler, naked package.

Full time job, 2 boys 10 and 8, and the age of Covid aren't leaving me as much time to ride as I'd like, but still managing to get out on the weekends at least.

Previous bikes: Triumph Street Cup, Street Triple RS, Speed Triple R, Bonneville, Tiger 800, Sprint RS 955i. Also a Moto Guzzi Norge GT. And tried an HD Street Glide for a year somewhere in there. Oh, and a Kawasaki Versys 1000, blech.

Ok, I have a bad habit of keeping bikes for a couple years then selling or trading them, but hey that keeps life interesting.

I'm really hoping / planning on keeping this one as a long-termer.

Something about it - it's a roadster. It's fun, it's fast, but not every-ride-is-over-the-speed-limit fast. It's both relaxing and exhilarating. Fun around town, fun on the back roads, and can do the high-speed freeway blasts when you need it to. And has that air-cooled opposed big-twin reassuring bwap that you know will just keep purring along. And even the stock exhausts on these sound pretty dang cool.

And the way it rolls into turns... love the handling.

So far, I'm loving it. Long may it continue. And... let the farkling begin!

·
Administrator
11,643 Posts
Great intro mate! Welcome to the forum. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
160 Posts
welcome to the forum, I have always had a soft spot for Triumph motorcycles. I flat track raced many years and I used a track-master frame with Bonneville engine back in the day. was a sweet ride.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
256 Posts
Congrats on your new /5 and welcome to the forum!

I just got my Pure a few weeks ago, but can definitely relate to your comments about it being a roadster. This is almost an ideal bike for me, or at least it will be once I've modded the bike over the next several months. ;)

Congrats again and safe riding!

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Congrats & Welcome here.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,030 Posts
Hi again and welcome to the forum. 👋

·
Registered
R nineT /5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
welcome to the forum, I have always had a soft spot for Triumph motorcycles. I flat track raced many years and I used a track-master frame with Bonneville engine back in the day. was a sweet ride.
Thank you. very cool - I've never raced, but it seems like every Triumph has racing in its blood (oil?), even the cruisers.

·
Registered
R nineT /5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on your new /5 and welcome to the forum!

I just got my Pure a few weeks ago, but can definitely relate to your comments about it being a roadster. This is almost an ideal bike for me, or at least it will be once I've modded the bike over the next several months. ;)

Congrats again and safe riding!
Thank you very much! Definitely want to see those mods when you're ready to share.

·
Registered
R nineT /5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
'20 r-nine-t/5
65 Posts
Congrats to you and welcome here. I have a /5 as well and loving it. I had a few Triumphs too - '12 Bonneville SE and a '14 Street Triple R. Currently have a '20 Speed Twin that keeps my /5 company.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts