BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
R nineT /5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Congrats to you and welcome here. I have a /5 as well and loving it. I had a few Triumphs too - '12 Bonneville SE and a '14 Street Triple R. Currently have a '20 Speed Twin that keeps my /5 company.
Thank you, and I have to say you picked the best nine T color / model. IMHO of course. ;-)

Interesting choice to have a Speed Twin and a nineT - really curious to hear how much overlap / similarities you find between them, or none at all? I’ve not ridden the Speed Twin, but have ridden the Thruxton and the Bobber, have some familiarity with the Triumph 1200 motor. I’d have to say it’s just completely different in character. What do you find owning them both?

·
Registered
'20 r-nine-t/5
65 Posts
I am glad to have them both, as they each have their character and feel when riding. Over the two, I prefer the Speed Twin for spirited riding. It feels more flickable between the two, dropping into turns with minimal thought or effort. It's very easy to lift the front end when traction control and abs are off with the power coming on quickly - reminding me of my Triumph Street Triple R in handling, but keeping the retro Bonneville SE looks.

The /5 is certainly no slouch, but does require more of my attention to do what I want. I recently added a tach to it, so that will take some guessing out for me on where the engine is at and what gear I am in. I don't mind not having a gear indicator, as long as, I have an rpm tach - the BMW tach thankfully gives both.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts