BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum after reading some posts to get some pre-purchase information. I am seriously considering to buy an Urban GS. I did read a lot of reviews but couldn't find the specific information I am looking for.

I previously owned two air cooled and a water cooled R1200GS and the bikes fit me well after installing handle bar risers. I am 6' 2" with a 33" inseam and would like to hear from some taller riders how the Urban GS works for them and if they had to lower the front pegs to be comfortable. I know I could get another R1200GS but I want to downsize a little and I do not drive off-road.

I found a leftover, new 40TH anniversary Urban GS, fully loaded for 13.5K OTD.

Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
555 Posts
Hi & welcome.
Have an advice from a grown up 😁... 6'9" (192 cm)
Get bar risers and lower the pegs (giving advantage in the foot ankle as well - adjust the gear shift to suits you).
Works very fine for me.
... ah, both are 2cm and no problem with stressing the lines and cables

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi & welcome.
Get bar risers and lower the pegs (giving advantage in the foot ankle as well - adjust the gear shift to suits you).
Works very fine for me.
Thank you for your reply, especially since you are 2" taller than me.

I was born in Germany and grew up in the Mannheim area. Emigrated to America in 1985.

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,659 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋

· Administrator
13,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mate! I'm only 5ft 11 so my impressions of riding my Classic (Roadster) probably won't be of much use to you. My advice is to try and get a UGS out on a test ride and see if it's fit is in the ballpark and it you think some minor tinkering (bar risers etc) will get you something you'd be happy with. Good luck! :)

· Premium Member
350 Posts
Welcome from Maryland. I spent some time in Missouri, first in Rolla at the University of Missouri-Rolla, and then a "lovely" nine weeks at Fort Leonardwood (in my time also known as Fort Lost in the Woods or Little Korea). I think the school is now known as Missouri Institute of Science and Technology (MIST), before my time it was know as the Missouri School of Mines. To Bavarians, Mist has other conotations! I stopped by a couple of years ago and saw that my old dorm, The Rollo Mo Inn, was for sale. My wife asked me if I wanted to buy it, I didn't.

· Registered
2019 Scrambler Option 719, 2013 K1600GTL,
494 Posts
I'm average height. But, one thing I've really picked up reading so many posts about modifying their bikes, is that it's generally a good idea to get your bike and ride it for a while. It seems many of us don't need to do much at all. Several go for aesthetic mods, but not a whole lot have to make fitment changes.

· Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
1,168 Posts
Hi & welcome.
Works very fine for me.
They must use different inches in Germany... 6'9" = 206cm...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts