BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m Sean from San Francisco. I don’t have a R9T yet, still shopping, but interested in a new Kalamata Scrambler. Only been riding for 3-4 years on a Vespa 946, which I love, but it has its limits/uses.

I’ve wanted a “motorcycle” since I was a teenager, but was never allowed as my mother hates them (I’m sure most do). Long story short, now that I’m “old” I finally got on 2 wheels, albeit not quite a motorcycle. I started w/ a scooter for the ease of use/agility. Plus the simple fact that I can fully open the throttle and not die every time I get on it. :) I dId take classes and got my M1 before i ever rode though :)

I’m now ready to move up to a “real” motorcycle and love the scrambler style, so I’ve been researching etc. and found this forum. I really like the BMW but felt I should compare, plus I still get a lot of grief from friends/family that rings in my ears all the time…

”what’s wrong with what you have”
”its too expensive” “overrated” etc.
”is it over 600cc? New riders can’t buy a 1200cc first bike”
“a scooter isn’t a motorcycle, you can’t lane split, will be hell in SF etc”

/over share off. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi man welcome, I love San Fran , am really trying to imagine riding round down town on a bike, I watched a guy on a fixie bicycle riding up and down those hills , wow, cheers Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi man welcome, I love San Fran , am really trying to imagine riding round down town on a bike, I watched a guy on a fixie bicycle riding up and down those hills , wow, cheers Tony
yeah the hills take a bit of planning, esp on a Vespa w/ no clutch. I often will wait at the bottom for a clear run up, or living here I just take alt routes. It’s all about the lane splitting though, prob 80% of my in city riding is between/around traffic. (Which I’ll probably have to lessen w/ a wide bike)

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Ohio! :)

You will hear a lot of people say a 1200 is too big/too much for a first bike. But this really isn't your first bike. I agree it's a big engine, but it doesn't have crazy hp and torque like some 1200s. (Not that it's a slouch either.) It's manageable, especially if you already have some motorized two-wheels experience.

Good luck with the rest of your research and shopping!!

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sean. The bike has a low centre of gravity so that helps with being easy to get on with. The bike is powerful but the power is delivered pretty smoothly so again as long as you treat the right hand with respect and ease yourself in taking sensible steps and let yourself become accustomed to your bike. You already have a fair amount of motorised two-wheeled experience so you should have your moto road-awareness up-to-speed. Over-confidence is your enemy so if you ease yourself in you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1985 R80 G/S PD, 1982 R65LS, 2021 Urban GS
7 Posts
Welcome. I'm just down the road from you on the coast. I've lived & ridden around SF for 30 years. Here is my perspective on this. When I first started riding daily in The City when at SFSU I rode a Honda CB 500 Four. Even then it was under powered although a gem of a bike. Flash forward to today. Every modern car in SF is a 400hp+ Range Rover, Tesla, F250, much bigger and faster than cars were 30 years ago. The R9T's power and ride mode features will help balance this out. In addition the bigger BMW will allow you to venture out of The City up north or down Pacific Coast Hwy more so than your Vespa. As others have mentioned it has power but is easy to control. You will have to get used to the width and weight delta but its a very balanced bike. The Kalmata Scramber would have been my next choice if I hadn't bought the Urban GS. Plus , with the lousy, foggy summer we've had you could pretty much put it in "Rain" mode and call it a day, that's what I've been doing! Chris

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
54 Posts
Welcome! I'm in SF too, and I can't imagine NOT having a motorcycle in this city! My commute across town takes half the time and I can always find close parking. Hit me up once you pull the trigger!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,705 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋
You have hills in San Francisco? :sneaky:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, and I appreciate all the feedback. I definitely agree that I don’t consider this my first bike, furthermore I‘m planning on taking it gradually, learning the bike completely, getting comfortable/confident with riding before I start getting wild :D
Research is underway lol, just since my first demo ride, I’ve already read the whole manual, tons of reviews, and about 1000000 YouTube videos, “Long way Round/Down”, and these forums!! I even went and sat on some Triumph and Ducati today (wasn’t able to ride). I have another RNineT test ride scheduled later this week and I feel much more confident about the bike than that first day. *(during my demo ride I was so overwhelmed by everything I wasn’t really able to appreciate or even enjoy the ride; I was just trying to keep up, not stall, not drop it, not embarrass myself in front of the Dealer guy etc.)

Honestly after I sat on the Triumphs and Ducati’s today I went back and sat on the RNineT again and was quite surprised that I still liked the way it felt the best. I had incorrectly assumed that the other bikes had more upright (like my Vespa) seating positions, but they were very similar to the BMW, or at least not as extremely different as my recollection led me to believe*.

I’ve also started visualizing the additional width difference while riding my Vespa, just to get a sense of what I might not be able to do on a wider bike. Aside from some traffic on narrower streets and the little illegal things one does when impatience wins out (bike lanes, ”S” u-turns, etc) I don’t think its going to be as drastic a difference as I’ve been imagining looking at the numbers. Maybe I’ll tape some small sticks on my mirrors to really get a feel. Haha.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle!!!. I agree more or less with all comments. I will give my advise probably you don´t like to hear. But I think it is important to have "all" information before make a decision. I am going to explain my point of view:

Ninet is not "dangerous/faster" Bike. It isn´t KTM Superduke 1290R. (Although with full electronic gadgets probably still Safety bike comparing to 90´s superbikes...). So you don´t have to worry about this.

BUT It is a bit heavy. Low center gravity but there are 220kg. Also you have to get used to Shaft drive. There is no anti slippery clutch etc etc.

My advice is to start with similar but easier bike: Moto Guzzi V7. Less weight. Less power. But still Bi-cylinder and shaft drive. After 1 year with Moto guzzi you will be more confident to Ninet.

·
Registered
R9teees
271 Posts
Welcome “Sean Francisco” My first motorcycle was a HD Roadking. A good friend was introduced to motorcycling on an R9T. She never rode a bike in her life. She has been riding 2.5 years and has 45k miles in the saddle now. You will be fine on the R9T. Take it slow and get with a good instructor. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,705 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went on my second test ride today, and it was much better. I lucked out and was able to take it out by myself for a short ride. Just as I was getting into it, I had to take it back though. Much more confident in shifting etc. and was able to appreciate the ride and handling. I’m still a bit timid off the line and stalled a couple times, but I think that is due to riding the Vespa, where I’m used to gunning it off the line to prevent clutch walrus, and now I’m just overcompensating in the other direction. Just part of the learning curve. I realized I’ll definitely invest in some bar risers though.

I’m about 95+% decided now, though at some point I’d like to ride a Triumph. I wanted to buy it today but they were asking too much out the door, and don’t seem willing to give much on my Vespa. I’ll probably just wait and build a 2022 exactly how I want. Kinda gutted, but I may have unrealistic expectations about trade in value/demo discount etc. Just trying to keep telling myself that they aren’t going anywhere etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am new to biking and the R ninet is the first bike for me (ignoring the learner bike from the safety course). I was a bit apprehensive whether it's too much, but found it very manageable very quickly. No regrets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts