BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a new bike, and the Pure is one of my go to's, I've been kind of moving towards that as I love the Gold/Aurum color.

Thing is, there's a guy near me that has a Racer, thats cheaper by about $2k than another near guy that has a Pure for sale, and beside looks, is there a functional difference? If it's just looks, should I go for the Racer and buy new parts to turn it into a Pure? Can someone tell me what if any are the difference(s) (if there is one) between the Racer and the Pure?

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
400 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

Mechanically, the Pure and Racer are basically the same. Same engine, forks and (I think) rear shock are the same. The biggest difference is the ergonomics. Tubular handlebar and standard footpegs on the Pure, and clip-on bars and rearsets on the Racer.

The Racer has the cafe racer style fairing and windshield of course, which may be an issue if you swap out the clip-on. I think some conversion kits will still fit the fairing, but if not you can just remove it.

The Racer came with the two clocks (instruments) - speedometer and tachometer - while the Pure only comes with the speedometer. Also, some Racers don't have passenger footpegs, though I don't know if they were omitted as standard or if some owners just remove them. And I think the Racer came with the rear seat hump.

I'm unsure about whether the Racer's tank is aluminum or steel, but the Pure comes with a steel tank as standard.

Be aware BMW stopped making the Racer a couple years ago. They're a bit more rare than the other models, and eventually they'll start to become rare.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I think the Racer has upside down forks and the Pure’s are “Old” style.
I think upside downs are said to be more rigid, but I don’t know.
Happy with my Pure as is.
Cheers,Ken.
PS. You need to be a bit more supple of body to go any long distance on a Racer.
Wouldn’t do for my old bones.
PPS. Just a thought, when buying new (Which I never do) is the Pure the cheapest one to buy, without any Factory options added?

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
The racer has conventional forks, not USD ones (unless the owner modded it). My opinion is there are no differences between the Pure and Racer apart from the fairing, handlebars, footpegs, no pillion carrying capacity as standard (Racer) though it can be done. The Racer also has twin clocks and a tail hump, the Pure only has a single clock as standard (you can add a rev counter) but does have a rear subframe and pillion carrying capacity as standard.

If it were me I'd buy the racer and convert it. I'd hold on to the Racer bits as I do think the Racer will be a future classic.

Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Wow!
Of all the models in the R9T range I thought the racer would have the upside downs.
I stand corrected.
Ken.

·
Registered
2019 RnineT
38 Posts
Aesthetically I think the Racer is the best looking of the bunch. But you won’t get the color you want. You’ll get white. You may want to add up the cost of all the bits you’ll need to buy to convert the Racer.

I’d love one as garage art and for the occasional 20 mile jaunt. But if you plan to put on miles, the cost of modifying may send you back to the Pure. Of course, you could also hunt down a used Classic and save yourself the grief.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts