BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
R NineT roadster 2019
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all from Athens Greece,

So I am think of buying a 2nd bike so my Nine doesnt have to go through daily traffic in Athens!

My daily commute is about 40miles.

Has anyone bought a 2nd bike for his daily? did you actually ride it or it was a waste of money and just kept riding th Rnine?

·
Registered
80 Posts

So I am think of buying a 2nd bike so my Nine doesnt have to go through daily traffic in Athens!

Has anyone bought a 2nd bike for his daily? did you actually ride it or it was a waste of money and just kept riding th Rnine?
All you need is your R9T. Don't wrap it in cotton wool and don't worry about the odd scratch simply ride it. That is what it is for mate. No need for a second bike.

·
Premium Member
2017 Classic
225 Posts
I use my R9T everyday in rain or snow for work.
It looks a right state at the moment but i'd rather that than have it sat in a garage for years looking like a new bike but never ridden.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I use my R9T everyday in rain or snow for work.
It looks a right state at the moment but i'd rather that than have it sat in a garage for years looking like a new bike but never ridden.
I’m with you Meat. My girlfriend (17 years now) and I live together, she has a car, I don’t even own one anymore. I have however begun to limit my rainy day riding and borrow her car. Roads here are to slick for my aging reflexes. I’m not quite as quick as is often needed on slick pavement but I’ll ride in cold 30° weather or 110° heat no problem. When you love it ...... you just Love it. Some people were born Spartan’s. Welcome to the club.
....Blitz

·
Registered
'20 r-nine-t/5
69 Posts
I feel that the R9T makes for a great commuter bike. No need for another bike just for the commute, unless you were looking to add to your stable for variety.

·
Registered
2017 R NineT Scrambler
18 Posts
I agree with everyone else - the NineT makes a great everyday bike and makes the commute much more fun! You can always add a couple of bits of protection to keep any crud off the important bits (as Uncle Meat says the bike look a state in no time during winter). I've got engine & radiator guards & a rear hugger on my Scrambler to make the British weather a bit less brutal but not sure you'll have the same problems in Greece!

Only downside to the NineT in town is getting used to how wide it is... don't expect to be squeezing through some of the gaps other bikes wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
566 Posts
I agree with the members above, the R9T makes for a great daily rider or commuter bike. The only reason I'd say to avoid commuting on the bike is if you work in a city where motorcycle theft is a big problem, and you cannot properly secure your bike. Otherwise I say go for it. Most days I'd much rather be on my motorcycle than in my car, and I even have a great, fun car!

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT (Classic)
186 Posts
Hello my fellow Athenian friend.

Another bike ? What for really ? The NineT is so easy to ride, handle etc you already know that...

We have most of the year a fantastic weather.

Enjoy your bike, ride it everyday !

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
272 Posts
I’m with you Meat. My girlfriend (17 years now) and I live together, she has a car, I don’t even own one anymore. I have however begun to limit my rainy day riding and borrow her car. Roads here are to slick for my aging reflexes. I’m not quite as quick as is often needed on slick pavement but I’ll ride in cold 30° weather or 110° heat no problem. When you love it ...... you just Love it. Some people were born Spartan’s. Welcome to the club.
....Blitz
Wait, @BlitzSchnell , you girlfriend is only 17? Is that even legal???😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Wait, @BlitzSchnell , you girlfriend is only 17? Is that even legal???😂😂😂
Don’t I wish she were just 17 and was 20 once again ....
“Once a King, always a King, once a knight is enough”
Norbert my friend, I miss you ! Damn winter anyway ... the sooner it leaves the sooner I’ll be headed back Deep in the Heart of Texas. Can’t wait to share time again. My new clock arrived and that will kick off my new project, turning Blitz from a fat Touring Bike into a sleek sexy very basic Bobber. I work a little slower these days so it will take me most of winter. When she starts to look good I’ll post Picts. Keep safe my friend and StayUpOn2 mate. ....Blitz

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last December, my wife bought a BMW C400X and altough I love my Nine T Pure, the benefits of having a (small) cargo area, the hability of filtering on heavy traffic with a thinner vehicle, having the aid of the BMW app on the TFT screen for Maps and Waze to tell you the best route, are helping on me having thoughts on buying a second bike just for commuting.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Last December, my wife bought a BMW C400X and altough I love my Nine T Pure, the benefits of having a (small) cargo area, the hability of filtering on heavy traffic with a thinner vehicle, having the aid of the BMW app on the TFT screen for Maps and Waze to tell you the best route, are helping on me having thoughts on buying a second bike just for commuting.
Ride what ever makes you happy Luiggi, otherwise it becomes a chore and not a joy. The object is to ENjoy the trip. To look forward to the ride, the wind, the freedom. Ride something than doesn’t make you nervous ...but makes you smile.
Just ride and StayUpOn2 .....Blitz
.... and be careful Luiggi, filtering or lane splitting is so dangerous mate ..
take it slow ✌😎🏍

Reactions: Luiggi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ride what ever makes you happy Luiggi, otherwise it becomes a chore and not a joy. The object is to ENjoy the trip. To look forward to the ride, the wind, the freedom. Ride something than doesn’t make you nervous ...but makes you smile.
Just ride and StayUpOn2 .....Blitz
.... and be careful Luiggi, filtering or lane splitting is so dangerous mate ..
take it slow ✌😎🏍
Totally agree with you, Blitz. It´s the exact feeling I get when I see my Pure and when I throw a leg up on her. Just saying that I consider a smaller bike to be more urban competitive than a Nine T.

And thanks for the filtering advice. Altough on Mexico City it´s not law forbidden, it´s mandatory to be alert.

·
Registered
2015 BMW R NineT Classic
25 Posts

I also have a Triumph Thruxton. But I don't have it to use it just as a daily commuter instead. I just got the 9T, but I plan on using them both equally. I have had 2 bikes going on almost 4 years now, before it was the Ninja 1000 and the Triumph Thruxton, now I sold the Ninja and picked up the R9T instead. I have always rode those two bikes equally because I like both of them so much. I plan to do the same with these. But if you are trying to keep the miles off the 9T and protect it from getting damaged in heavy and potentially destructive daily crowded commute traffic back and forth to work, I totally get it. My normal daily commute back and forth to work is pretty safe, quiet, and non-eventful, so I don't normally have any issues with it. Plus, we are working from home right now because of COVID, so unfortunately I haven't gotten any riding time in back and forth to work in over a year.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I also have a Triumph Thruxton. But I don't have it to use it just as a daily commuter instead. I just got the 9T, but I plan on using them both equally. I have had 2 bikes going on almost 4 years now, before it was the Ninja 1000 and the Triumph Thruxton, now I sold the Ninja and picked up the R9T instead. I have always rode those two bikes equally because I like both of them so much. I plan to do the same with these. But if you are trying to keep the miles off the 9T and protect it from getting damaged in heavy and potentially destructive daily crowded commute traffic back and forth to work, I totally get it. My normal daily commute back and forth to work is pretty safe, quiet, and non-eventful, so I don't normally have any issues with it. Plus, we are working from home right now because of COVID, so unfortunately I haven't gotten any riding time in back and forth to work in over a year.
MMarinelli my friend I’d go stir-crazy with out a daily ride even if it’s just to Cruz for an hour. Here I wait till at least 9:30 pm, usually more like 10 - 10:30 and I mount up for some wind in my hair. Makes me smile, relax and sleep deep. By that time of night the traffic has diminished and I can run my route with out any issues.. Takes me about an hour but it’s the best hour I have all day. Sometimes the weather is an issue especially rain, the cold doesn’t bother me for a short hop. You might try it. It’s good “ME” time. Let’s me think clearly with out interruptions. Only thing better would be to spread my arms and fly into the black night sky .... if only. Stay healthy Mate, good thing you have a job you can do from home. StayUpOn2 MMarinelli

·
Registered
2015 BMW R NineT Classic
25 Posts
MMarinelli my friend I’d go stir-crazy with out a daily ride even if it’s just to Cruz for an hour. Here I wait till at least 9:30 pm, usually more like 10 - 10:30 and I mount up for some wind in my hair. Makes me smile, relax and sleep deep. By that time of night the traffic has diminished and I can run my route with out any issues.. Takes me about an hour but it’s the best hour I have all day. Sometimes the weather is an issue especially rain, the cold doesn’t bother me for a short hop. You might try it. It’s good “ME” time. Let’s me think clearly with out interruptions. Only thing better would be to spread my arms and fly into the black night sky .... if only. Stay healthy Mate, good thing you have a job you can do from home. StayUpOn2 MMarinelli
I hear ya brother. It's my stress relief and one of my loves in life too. I miss it tremendously when I am not able to get out there and do it more often. I totally understand. You don't have to explain it to me. Usually the perfect medicine for my grumpyness or bad attitude. Ha Ha

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my Pure and would like to ride it everyday but in reality its not as comfortable for a daily use which is why I got myself a G310. Very easy and light to drive and wthout worrying on the overheating. BUt at the end its your call and definitely additional expense for maintaining 2 bikes. Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
R NineT roadster 2019
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your feedback and different views!
The reasoning behind thinking of a 2nd bike is not so much the miles piling up, I am 45 so even if i ride 10k per year when I am 60 ( and still standing) the bike will have 150k, nothing for a boxer engine.
My daily commute to work is on the highway (roughly 40miles round trip). Having a massmoto comeback exhaust and no wind protection takes its toll ( almost deaf...).
I also think that having my ninet for the weekend fun rides or late at night through athens for a joyride will never get old if I don't use the bike for my daily commute.
Thinking of a F850GS.... or maybe a 1250 but dont know if its worth the money difference.. Maybe not for this forum but which of the two would you choose?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts