BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
I understand the deliniation there....however at the same time, I have been on dirt roads on the R1200 GS with the cruise set at 90mph tearing through the New Mexico high desert valleys and scorched mesas for 50 miles.

We can easily agree the R1200 GS is also made for secondary roads, or even no road at all.

To be clear, I am very happy with the bike. I love the fit and finish and the spirited ride harkens me back to what motoring is all about. I ride more canyons, Twisties, undulated elevation changes and mountain 2 lane roads here than just about anywhere in the US. From the Santa Fe National forests to the cliffs of the pueblo indian reservations, to cactus, rattlesnake, and roadhouse littered desert floor.

I am interested in hearing what fellow riders think of the gearing of the machine (specifically 6th gear), not so much about what preconceptions riders have about my riding.
Just to be clear, no preconceptions here on how you ride. In my opinion it's never a bike for the freeway/motorway /autoroute (insert name for your country).

In its original guise, which is the one I ride, it had no cruise and no screen. Spending prolonged amount of time above 80mph is uncomfortable. Take the slow road however, it's a weapon 馃敨. It's pretty clear to me that was the design intent, in addition to riding it to the coffee shop and sipping a coffee whilst looking at it.

The 6th is geared just fine for me for what I use it for.

Registered
2021 R9T Classic
Just to be clear, no preconceptions here on how you ride. In my opinion it's never a bike for the freeway/motorway /autoroute (insert name for your country).

In its original guise, which is the one I ride, it had no cruise and no screen. Spending prolonged amount of time above 80mph is uncomfortable. Take the slow road however, it's a weapon 馃敨. It's pretty clear to me that was the design intent, in addition to riding it to the coffee shop and sipping a coffee whilst looking at it.

The 6th is geared just fine for me for what I use it for.
Tons of bikes without screens/cruise have been used for the express purpose of traveling long distances. Heck, half of Harley's lineup before like 2010 would fit that bill. Nearly any factory bike other than maybe a very sport focused type can be used for most anything other than serious off-roading. I'm not sure about the "design intent" comment as it seems to suggest any attractive/handsome bike is for posers who take it to starbucks? Ironically enough, that's the exact stereotype for GS owners...

In any case, do you, and glad you like 6th gear being 250 RPM from 5th. Different strokes and all that.

Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
I always look for a 7th gear when I get up to 6th the first time on a ride but otherwise I've only hit the rev limiter once - in second gear iirc. Love the torque down low.
This is one reason I added the OEM tachometer to my Pure - for the gear indicator. No more accidentally trying to upshift when I'm already in 6th! :)

Premium Member
I do the same on almost every ride. I attribute it to my ADD.
Shifting into 6th at around 100 鈥.. I鈥檝e already lost count of what gear I鈥檓 in 鈥.. at some point .. because at that speed I鈥檓 afraid to even blink let alone look down at the clocks .. I always lift my toe once more in case I miss counted. Old school force of habit 鈥 I was raised on bikes that didn鈥檛 have gear indicators 鈥. Hell most of them didn鈥檛 have working speedometers either. Gas gage ? What鈥檚 that. 鈥︹︹︹︹. Blitz

Registered
Tons of bikes without screens/cruise have been used for the express purpose of traveling long distances. Heck, half of Harley's lineup before like 2010 would fit that bill. Nearly any factory bike other than maybe a very sport focused type can be used for most anything other than serious off-roading. I'm not sure about the "design intent" comment as it seems to suggest any attractive/handsome bike is for posers who take it to starbucks? Ironically enough, that's the exact stereotype for GS owners...

In any case, do you, and glad you like 6th gear being 250 RPM from 5th. Different strokes and all that.
I'll let your snark slide. Everyone can see it.

脌 lot of the Harley bikes you mention also have a much more relaxed riding position which means the wind doesn't treat you like a windsock. Those bikes probably have a long top gear because they were designed specifically for that purpose.

And you mean to say you've never sat outside a coffee shop and admired the lines of your sexy bike? Not even once? I think it's OK to do that, I do it often and find it a pleasant thing to do. :)

Premium Member
I'll let your snark slide. Everyone can see it.

脌 lot of the Harley bikes you mention also have a much more relaxed riding position which means the wind doesn't treat you like a windsock. Those bikes probably have a long top gear because they were designed specifically for that purpose.

And you mean to say you've never sat outside a coffee shop and admired the lines of your sexy bike? Not even once? I think it's OK to do that, I do it often and find it a pleasant thing to do. :)
Dave I feel you brother. Many bikes, many riders, many styles鈥 I admire them all for different reasons but I seem to pick, covet, ride and love the ones that are most like me. I salute and respect the ones who have earned their reputation over the years from 100cc MotoCross to 200+ TT. The rice burners and Italian jobs, the English proper bikes and German work horses. Each group tries to cater to a category of riders and clubs form around like minds. The line, the look, the lilt, the stance all have an attraction to me 鈥 but I favor the machine that somehow feels familiar in some way, one that behaves as I would expect and rarely offers up something unexpected or unwanted. I look at custom bikes like the Arch series, Confederate, Ecosse, Augusta and many others and smile, how I wish that much joy and pride could be seen in all production bikes.鈥 I guess I鈥檓 just so disappointed in how America鈥檚 bike has been trashed in the name of production and profit 鈥. They鈥檝e become so common, it鈥檚 like a VW bug a few years ago, like a mustang before that .., everywhere you鈥檇 look you鈥檇 see one. I like your comment about being 鈥渦nique鈥 鈥 well put. There鈥檚 no bike like a Boxer 鈥 I鈥檓 sad it took me so long to finally get one 鈥 but frankly until the 9T series and the 1200 Classic .. BMW didn鈥檛 interest me at all .. it seemed to be an 鈥渙ld persons鈥 machine .. not sporty and more utilitarian than sexy. Well here I am 鈥 an old person and look what I鈥檓 sitting on .. now either my perspective shifted with age or BMW got sexy and fast enough to interest old farts like me 鈥 now it鈥檚 a full on love affaire with BMW. There鈥檚 no place for HDs in my stable鈥 I guess that and 鈥 after Hanoi Jane showed her true color I lost all respect and admiration for Peter and the Fonda phenomena 鈥 and HDs sank with them. Wave don鈥檛 wave, nobody really cares anyway 鈥 if it doesn鈥檛 feel good don鈥檛 do it ! I wave at everyone because I鈥檓 so happy to be UpOn2 and what a fine machine I鈥檝e been given the privilege to own and care for. It鈥檚 a good time to be alive ..and not just living 鈥 I am deeply grateful and celebrate every time I wave 馃. No worries, be happy ! 鈥︹︹.. Blitz (Do snowmobiler鈥檚 wave ?)

Reactions: Retjustdad53

Registered
@BlitzSchnell ha. Snowmobilers wave as far as I can tell. Its pretty friendly round here and there is an informal code on the mountain that every mountain professional waves and is courteous to other mountain professionals.

I take this onto bikes, I'll wave at anyone on two wheels, my favourites are the kids ragging their 50cc 2 stokes because you just know they're going to grow up to be full on bikers when theyre older.

My comments above weren't directed towards Harley, more that I just don't think the r ninet isn't designed to do that long haul, straight lines thing. That's why 6th doesn't make sense in that context. Others' opinion may vary but this is mine. (it also helps that we dont have much in the way of roads that go in straight lines where I live :)

Ps. You're as old as you feel. Don't be calling yourself old.

Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
Shifting into 6th at around 100 鈥.. I鈥檝e already lost count of what gear I鈥檓 in 鈥.. at some point .. because at that speed I鈥檓 afraid to even blink let alone look down at the clocks .. I always lift my toe once more in case I miss counted. Old school force of habit 鈥 I was raised on bikes that didn鈥檛 have gear indicators 鈥. Hell most of them didn鈥檛 have working speedometers either. Gas gage ? What鈥檚 that. 鈥︹︹︹︹. Blitz

This. My routine is to keep shifting until I search for final gear and discover it is already engaged. Then I go about my merry way. Previous bike was a 5-speed I4 and normal interstate RPM was 6k+ so whatever. Thought I do think the gearing would be more satisfying if the 9T had a really stupid top end like my old I4.

One thing I do miss about the 80's bike quirks was the knowledge that the speedo is fully pegged but it still pulls like there's another gear to go. Despite the 9T having almost twice the torque and +40hp on that (previous) bike, I think they would be really close in a 70-100 pull on the interstate with the Yamaha potentially having a slight edge.

Premium Member
This. My routine is to keep shifting until I search for final gear and discover it is already engaged. Then I go about my merry way. Previous bike was a 5-speed I4 and normal interstate RPM was 6k+ so whatever. Thought I do think the gearing would be more satisfying if the 9T had a really stupid top end like my old I4.

One thing I do miss about the 80's bike quirks was the knowledge that the speedo is fully pegged but it still pulls like there's another gear to go. Despite the 9T having almost twice the torque and +40hp on that (previous) bike, I think they would be really close in a 70-100 pull on the interstate with the Yamaha potentially having a slight edge.
I鈥檓 not sure about other bikes when racing from a rolling start. Most of those encounters with bikes for me are from a dead stop and it鈥檚 that amazing grab I can get when I hit second gear that usually tell whose winning. My rolling starts are usually with automobiles and under almost all encounters so far I run away with it right up to 135 then I鈥檝e already gained so much ground most auto-runners back off knowing if I continue as fast and hard鈥 even if they can hit 150 it鈥檚 going to take them 10 miles to catch me鈥.. 60 to 135/40 is when Blitz seems to really open up. Many years ago I had a Yamaha 125 water cooled dirt bike that was F鈥檔 amazing 鈥. I haven鈥檛 had a Yama-hammer since鈥︹. Something about two-cycle engines seems to lend it self to chain-saws but not so much to BIG displacement fast motorcycles 鈥. Ding ding ding pow etc etc鈥︹︹ Blitz

21 - 31 of 31 Posts