BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheeky 48 hour trip to the northern part of Switzerland to tick off 8 cols on my list. Managed to do them all in one day using old school navigational aids for a total trip of 750kms, I now have a bad back but have seen some beautiful scenery and lots of pretty germanic girls.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,065 Posts
Sounds like a terrific couple days. Great photos - thanks for sharing them! I'm highly envious of folks who get to ride mountains like that.

Also, I didn't see any photos of the 'pretty Germanic girls.' I had to scroll back up to double check. :LOL:

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
359 Posts
Nice navigator there on the tank! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
454 Posts
Man, great navi; if I’d show that to my kids, they’d go “I can’t read that!” Can’t swipe, either...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,566 Posts
Also, I didn't see any photos of the 'pretty Germanic girls.' I had to scroll back up to double check. :LOL:
I think that was clickbait! :oops:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhh!!! You were very close to "9" of Andermatt. If you don't know zone. Go there next time. 6 legends pass together. Oberalp, Furka, Grimmsel, Susten, San Gotthard and Nufenenpass...

To cross San Gotthard you have to take old track . "Via Tremola"...
I know it well, I actually have to go there next for the central zone cols.

As for germanic girls, I find them more outdoorsy and sporty than their Swiss French equivalents who are more féminine and generally more slender. Planning on hitting the Italian part of Switzerland soon to make a thorough comparison. It's important to research these things.

Lastly, I prefer to navigate like this. Find my own way with a mental map and some reminders. I have mates who have their phone on their bars and follow their calimoto app relentlessly. As if we all don't spend enough time looking at screens.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,065 Posts
Lastly, I prefer to navigate like this. Find my own way with a mental map and some reminders. I have mates who have their phone on their bars and follow their calimoto app relentlessly. As if we all don't spend enough time looking at screens.
I'm the same. I prefer paper maps during my long days and trips on the bike. The navigation apps on my phone work well if I need to pinpoint a location like a hotel or restaurant, but otherwise I'm old school with the maps. I enjoy spending time mapping out routes, writing down the directions, and sticking that paper in the map window on my tankbag.

Also, in many of the rural locations where I ride there is no cellular service, so the navigation apps on my phone are pretty much worthless out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts