·
Registered
R NineT Pure - 2017
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Am I doing something wrong?
Am I missing something?
... No matter how many times I ride my (owned for 6 weeks) R9T Pure I just can’t seem to love it... it is in amazing condition, it handles beautifully, it sounds great and it looks fantastic but I just cannot seem to get the buzz I had from my previous (Triumph Bonneville) bike.
I’m now finding myself in the unenviable position of considering what to do. Shall I just move it on and get something different? Should I look at modifying it to make it more ‘me’?
Apologies for the rather ‘spoiled brat’ post but it’s feeling less like first date and more like arranged marriage at present.

Any help / advice greatly received.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hi Kastlecycles,
I too went from a Triumph (Street Twin) the a 2019 Pure.
I like my Pure, but, the Triumph was much sweeter and refined, whereas the Pure feels a bit rough and agricultural to me, like a motorbike I grew up with many many years ago!
The Beemer is a solidly engineered bit of kit and I particularly like not being in the ‘Chain gang’ anymore. Never did like cleaning/adjusting chains.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
45 Posts
I have a 2018 T120 and the Pure
They are different enough I can justify keeping both.
The T120 is more comfortable, and for longer city rides, with the heat in Texas, I grab the water cooled T120
Love the T120. Great Bike.

But there is something about the Pure that I jump on for those quick half hour evening rides.
The Pure just grabs me, the Vibe.
Your Bike should grab you.
I'd get something that makes you want to jump on it everyone time you pass it on the garage.

That said ... have you tested the Speed Twin ?
I had a Thruxton 1200 also, and the Speed Twin seems like the perfect mix.
Has a Sport mode that kicks

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have a 2018 T120 and the Pure
They are different enough I can justify keeping both.
The T120 is more comfortable, and for longer city rides, with the heat in Texas, I grab the water cooled T120
Love the T120. Great Bike.

But there is something about the Pure that I jump on for those quick half hour evening rides.
The Pure just grabs me, the Vibe.
Your Bike should grab you.
I'd get something that makes you want to jump on it everyone time you pass it on the garage.

That said ... have you tested the Speed Twin ?
I had a Thruxton 1200 also, and the Speed Twin seems like the perfect mix.
Has a Sport mode that kicks
Speed Twin would be my choice if I were to go back to Triumph.
Street Twin just didn’t have enough torque for me.
Ken.

·
Registered
R NineT Pure - 2017
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies thus far - I’m kind of in the sell it on camp already.
I’ve looked at the Speed Twin and I think that is looking very much like it’ll be the best answer, pending test ride of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
An interesting post, especially for me. I'm currently on a 2016 Bonneville T100 Black, looking to get a 2017 RNine T, but also looked at the Speed Twin recently as an alternative. I felt the Speed Twin was too samey to the T100 even though the engine is very different. I've yet to ride the BMW but know I want one to replace my T100. Interesting to hear that you're not getting on with your Pure?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Thanks for all the replies thus far - I’m kind of in the sell it on camp already.
I’ve looked at the Speed Twin and I think that is looking very much like it’ll be the best answer, pending test ride of course.
Well, from what you say I think it's probably the best way forward. I'm an ex-Triumph owner (Street Twin and Street Triple) and if I'm honest I'd probably be riding a Speed Twin now if it had been released a little earlier. Wonderful bike; that said, the 9T does always bring a smile to my face, so I'm not in your position.

Book your test ride and I'm sure you'll love it. I took one out for a couple of fours a few months ago and was very impressed.

·
Registered
R NineT Pure - 2017
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An interesting post, especially for me. I'm currently on a 2016 Bonneville T100 Black, looking to get a 2017 RNine T, but also looked at the Speed Twin recently as an alternative. I felt the Speed Twin was too samey to the T100 even though the engine is very different. I've yet to ride the BMW but know I want one to replace my T100. Interesting to hear that you're not getting on with your Pure?
Hi David,
Interesting indeed!
I had a 2014 T100 until I sold it to get the R9T - the reason I sold it and chose the R9T was for a few reasons:
1. I wanted a bigger displacement bike.
2. I wanted something more modern from a technical standpoint.
3. The T120 is a bit toppy price wise and I love the look of the R9T.
4. I wanted to step out of the cliche club ?

I love the handling on the BMW, it’s very precise and feels much more like a modern day street bike.
The power is immense, no qualms there, and it feels like a real brute!
I had the TOR exhausts on my Triumph and they popped and banged and sounded amazing - the R9T has quite a different sound, I prefer the T100 tbh.
The fit on the R9T is very different to the T100’s sat upright stance and, though I knew what I was buying into, I have struggled to find a sweet spot. I’ve fitted Wunderlich 20mm risers, rolled the bars back and levelled up the levers but I’m still not 100% on it.
Lastly, and perhaps most pertinently, the look of the R9T is great but I can’t work out whether I actually want something much more retro. My bike has the cast mag wheels and I wonder if the spoked set might make me feel better.

Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
I very much doubt the love for it will come with the way you are about it now. I recall buying a brand new GS 3 or 4 years back and even asked my mate the day I was picking it up "am I doing the right thing" it didn't stay long.

I'm fortunate that my scrambler is a second bike for me so can choose dependent of mood but for you, first thing I'd do is go test ride a couple, as for the triumphs, the numbers all confuse me, so do the names, speed twin/street twin though I'm lead to believe one is very average and one is superb, the larger of the two I think.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,954 Posts
As much as it pains me to say it, but if you are not feeling any love for the bike and it isn't making you smile from ear to ear (and you can't figure out why) then it is time to sell the bike and get something that you will like. Sounds as if you've given it a fair shot, but sometimes the magic just won't happen.

I had the same feeling with a BMW K75S - the press loved and called it the best of the K series bikes around at the time. I bought it after a quick test ride, trying to convince myself that I'd love it after being slightly underwhelmed. I have to say it never happened and 3 months later it was sold... Can't say I've had any regrets over it either...

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
45 Posts
Please make sure to put it in Sport mode, was Killer on the Thruxton.
Oddly the Bonneville doesn't come with it ???

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hi David,
Interesting indeed!
I had a 2014 T100 until I sold it to get the R9T - the reason I sold it and chose the R9T was for a few reasons:

I love the handling on the BMW, it’s very precise and feels much more like a modern day street bike.
I had the TOR exhausts on my Triumph and they popped and banged and sounded amazing - the R9T has quite a different sound, I prefer the T100 tbh.
The fit on the R9T is very different to the T100’s sat upright stance and, though I knew what I was buying into, I have struggled to find a sweet spot. I’ve fitted Wunderlich 20mm risers, rolled the bars back and levelled up the levers but I’m still not 100% on it.
Lastly, and perhaps most pertinently, the look of the R9T is great but I can’t work out whether I actually want something much more retro. My bike has the cast mag wheels and I wonder if the spoked set might make me feel better.

Jim
Hi Jim,
Do you want to trade your cast wheels for my 2019, 2000 miles spokes?
Ken.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a R9T Classic and bought a used 2016 Thruxton R since I've always been curious if the grass is greener. After spending more time with both, and modding both, I feel like I prefer the R9T over the Triumph. I agree with you on looks, the classic design on the Triumph really appeals to me, over the modern design of the R9T. Also, the deep sound of the twin is very seductive. What gets me is the feel. The R9T is more analog and raw, and the Thruxton feels a little more disconnected in regards to the throttle, fueling, and engine response (due to the ride by wire throttle). In the end, we all get pulled in by the accolades and accounts from others of how a bike should feel, and the how it evokes emotions, but the reality is that it can be quite different for each of us personally. If it's not working for you, then don't feel bad about moving on.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Hi David,
Interesting indeed!
Il

Jim
Perhaps consider going the other direction. Lower and narrower. By going up and back you just make it harder to shoulder check or turn your neck, especially with the wide bars they ship it with. For me, and some others, lower narrower bars did the trick, more comfortable and a better riding position too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Perhaps consider going the other direction. Lower and narrower. By going up and back you just make it harder to shoulder check or turn your neck, especially with the wide bars they ship it with. For me, and some others, lower narrower bars did the trick, more comfortable and a better riding position too.

That's a really good point, and one that I hadn't thought of (I struggle a bit with neck mobility, but was actually thinking of getting some risers)!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi David,
Interesting indeed!

Jim
Jim,

A 2014 Triumph T100 (air cooled?) would feel very different from the R9T. I'm personally not a fan of the Pure and would always go for the Classic R9T. The step from my '16 T100 (water cooled) won't be so much of a jump that you had but bikes should always make you feel excited when first buying, owning and maintaining. If you don't feel the love, spending more money won't really change that gut feeling. I'd suggest jumping on another Triumph like the Speed Twin, then go back to you Pure, or even a classic R9T and ride them all back to back if you can.

·
Registered
420 Posts
OP - this is a good lesson of listening to your gut. I bought my 2015 9T classic and ‘chased the dragon’ with mods over a 3.5 year period trying to make it into something it wasn’t. Finally bit the bullet and traded it in for a ducati this past spring, which is what I came off of before I went to the 9T and what I lusted after while owning the 9T. I wasted a lot of time and money riding a bike that I enjoyed but always felt disconnected from on an emotional level. Fortunately, I got a good deal on the duc and was able to sell off a lot of the mods to make the monetary difference feel more palatable. Funny thing is, I am riding my hyper way more, my riding has improved considerably, and I simply get a childish grin every time I step over the bike. My only regret was not recognizing this earlier and saving myself money and, perhaps more importantly, time that I could have been riding a bike I did feel truly connected to.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts