BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just cannot seem to get the buzz I had from my previous (Triumph Bonneville) bike.
Perhaps because you are expecting it to be something it is not (a Triumph). If you can figure out a way to let go of that preconceived expectation, you will be able to experience the bike with l ess bias/baggage. It sounds like you are clinging to something for now, and that will cloud your experience.

Kind of like having two kids and expecting kid 2 to live up to the expectations of kid 1. Or Kid 1 not living up to expectations in general, thereby not seeing their unique and special qualities in the first place.

You said it yourself
it is in amazing condition, it handles beautifully, it sounds great and it looks fantastic
It does indeed have all of these qualities when looked at objectively.

It is a fantastic machine that a lot of people poured their blood, sweat and tears into producing as best they could, but it is not a Triumph. So it is not really fair to hold it to that standard. It has it's own spirit (as much as an inanimate machine can have "spirit").

But if you're looking for a little scrappy British bike, the R9T is not going to provide. It's a Big Bavarian Bull of a bike.

Good thing is, with spring/summer coming it should be easy to sell.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I (very foolishly) bought a HD Sportster on a whim and spent an absolute fortune on it trying to make it something it was never going to be..... sold it for the UrbanGS....

Don't get sucked into spending more on it that you will never get back! if you're already in the mindset of selling it because it's not for you, then cut your losses and move onto something else.

Life is too short to ride ugly women and bikes that don't do it for you!

·
Registered
R NineT Pure - 2017
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Jim,
Do you want to trade your cast wheels for my 2019, 2000 miles spokes?
Ken.
Hi Ken,
Actually I had a chap email me yesterday asking the same thing so I’m working that out with him already. let me see how that goes and I’ll PM you.

Cheers

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi guys,
Am I doing something wrong?
Am I missing something?
... No matter how many times I ride my (owned for 6 weeks) R9T Pure I just can’t seem to love it... it is in amazing condition, it handles beautifully, it sounds great and it looks fantastic but I just cannot seem to get the buzz I had from my previous (Triumph Bonneville) bike.
I’m now finding myself in the unenviable position of considering what to do. Shall I just move it on and get something different? Should I look at modifying it to make it more ‘me’?
Apologies for the rather ‘spoiled brat’ post but it’s feeling less like first date and more like arranged marriage at present.

Any help / advice greatly received.
Coming off a Bonnie (what year) is going to cause withdrawals no doubt. I felt a bit the same coming off a 650 BSA hornet but the buyer went to extremes to pry my hands of the bars. The 9T is a very different beast. I’m massively in love with the torque and the 650’s can’t touch it. It’s my first BMW although I’ve ridden different models over the years this one grabbed my heart the first time I REALLY got on it and didn’t let up til I thought I was going to actually fly, and she had even more to offer me. That’s when I knew I’d landed on the right machine. Getting off a real mans machine, almost any good but old English bike and sitting on a Swiss time piece is a serious culture shock. Relax, give her a chance to get under you skin. That boxer is boss and besides it looks so F’n cool too. The gear box is bullet proof and shaft drive is ten times better than damn chains. StayUpOn2 and I promise you’ll know she’s the one. I’ve never had a bike (14 in all over 50 years) that I didn’t have to work on it constantly till now. Give her 6 months, you can always get a divorce. She’ll win you over. Cheers Blitz

·
Banned
660 Posts
What’s even more surprising is I’ve met a proper bike rider who bought, likes, and rides a Harley Sportster.

All kinds of people out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

each to their own, i'm not knocking the bike, I bought it because it looked pretty good (a 48) but it's definitely not my kind of bike and i spent too much trying to make it more "me"

·
Registered
818 Posts
each to their own, i'm not knocking the bike, I bought it because it looked pretty good (a 48) but it's definitely not my kind of bike and i spent too much trying to make it more "me"
Ahhh Croppie, I’m sad for you man. It’s like trying on a shirt that just doesn’t fit. Take it off and put it back on the hanger. I’m sure there’s a mate out there that will take your girl and love her with all his heart and wallet too. Go squat on one of those Japanese rice burners, I’m sure you’ll find one that fits and looks like it’s doing 100 miles an hour parked. A big beautiful torquey Beemer isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. For me it’s a wonderful three course steak dinner and desert too. I smile from the time I see her in the morning until I wipe her down at night after riding to beat the wind all day long. I’m sad for you, it’s a great tonic for this old mans heart. Good luck finding something to put under you that brings you to life. Cheers Mate. Keep on dusting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,
Am I missing something?
... No matter how many times I ride my (owned for 6 weeks) R9T Pure I just can’t seem to love it... it is in amazing condition, it handles beautifully, it sounds great and it looks fantastic but I just cannot seem to get the buzz I had from my previous (Triumph Bonneville) bike.
I’m now finding myself in the unenviable position of considering what to do. Shall I just move it on and get something different? Should I look at modifying it to make it more ‘me’?
Apologies for the rather ‘spoiled brat’ post but it’s feeling less like first date and more like arranged marriage at present.

I've owned my RNineT Pure since July 2018 & it really grows on you if you give it time. Yeah, there's something about Brit bikes -- my first motorcycle was a 1955 Matchless G9B & I currently own a 1957 Matchless G11. But the RNineT has gobs of power when you need it & is a pretty agile bike. The seat was like an ironing board but an aftermarket inflatable cushion solved that problem.

·
Banned
660 Posts
Ahhh Croppie, I’m sad for you man. It’s like trying on a shirt that just doesn’t fit. Take it off and put it back on the hanger. I’m sure there’s a mate out there that will take your girl and love her with all his heart and wallet too. Go squat on one of those Japanese rice burners, I’m sure you’ll find one that fits and looks like it’s doing 100 miles an hour parked. A big beautiful torquey Beemer isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. For me it’s a wonderful three course steak dinner and desert too. I smile from the time I see her in the morning until I wipe her down at night after riding to beat the wind all day long. I’m sad for you, it’s a great tonic for this old mans heart. Good luck finding something to put under you that brings you to life. Cheers Mate. Keep on dusting

What are you on about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can relate. I came off a Thruxton R onto my R9T and loved it for about 6 months. But started to feel like it just wasn’t performing anymore ( made worse by my commute bike a K1200S). So, no smile no deal - I traded for an S1000 R. Complete different in every way but I’m smiling again and that’s what it’s about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interestingly, after being smitten with the R9T, I decided to widen my investigation and ended up trying out a Thruxton R. It is a very, very nice bike, but I did not like the effort needed to get the initial turn-in. I also think it is still too heavy for what it is, and $1000+ that bullet fairing is simply ridiculous. The Thruxton RS should be better—as in lighter and nimbler. My local dealer finally got one in, so I hope to see one sooner than later.

My first boxer was an airhead. I liked it for a variety of reasons but did not fully appreciate it until after a day-long ride behind some friends on their K bikes. I was living in eastern Tennessee and we rode up through a wide range of back roads eventually going through what is now called the Tail of the Dragon, US 129. At one point, my friends twisted the throttles and disappeared. It was a mostly straight section, so I wound up my throttle to the stop and backed off slightly. It stayed like that for approximately ten minutes; the electronic tachometer overheated and began to bounce around. I caught up with them and we filled up the tanks. I was still getting 40-50mpg. The ride through 129 was an exercise in throttle control—pre-Paralever days, natch. It was not as nimble as, say, my Moto Morini, but it still held its own quite well. I could almost keep up with my friends at some points.

I would expect the R9T to perform much better were I to follow the same route today.

The point is that BMW's boxer motor can seem odd or even a bit bland until it is used like it was designed to be used, which is to say, wrung out. I cannot imagine a new Triumph working much better overall than an R9T, but the Triumph does look more like what most expect a bike to look like. The R9T is slightly more customizable than the new Triumphs and, with time, will probably gain more affection from owners.

My 2¢ for what it might be worth.
HTH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feel your pain. Had mine 2 months now and I also have a 2014 cafe’d T100 Bonneville. for me the aesthetic has taken time and still in progress.. I have the Classic. I just wasn’t loving it to look at but loved the handling. I changed the mirrors to bar ends and put the brown high seat on it and suddenly my attraction to it grew. It really seemed to transform it just changing those two things and suddenly I liked looking at it. I have a tailtidy to fit which will change that rediculous back end and will probably fit chunkier tyres as well.
It will never sound like the Bonneville and I have accepted that . I did try the SpeedTwin but found the aesthetic of the angled tank just wrong for me, also it was a bit twitchy in the twisties.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I didn't even consider the R9T until the salesman offered me a test ride, I came in looking at something else. One short ride and I was hooked.
If you're not feeling it then yeah, get rid of it and get something else.

·
Registered
818 Posts
What are you on about?
Just sad for you that’s all, just sad. I’ll stay out of it. Forgive me Cropduster. I’m just an old man slowly dying and happy for each day I wake up. Motos are just a tiny peace of my pleasure in the time I have left. You sound sad and disappointed in your decisions about your 9T and for some stupid reason I thought I could help. I’m out.
Won’t touch that again ! ✌?
It’s probable the chemo cooking my brain instead of the tumor.
From now on when it comes to you I’ll keep it to myself .....
Apologies Cropduster.

·
Banned
660 Posts
Just sad for you that’s all, just sad. I’ll stay out of it. Forgive me Cropduster. I’m just an old man slowly dying and happy for each day I wake up. Motos are just a tiny peace of my pleasure in the time I have left. You sound sad and disappointed in your decisions about your 9T and for some stupid reason I thought I could help. I’m out.
Won’t touch that again ! ✌?
It’s probable the chemo cooking my brain instead of the tumor.
From now on when it comes to you I’ll keep it to myself .....
Apologies Cropduster.
No mate, don't be sad for me! I love my RnineT, if you read the posts above it you'll see i was talking about a Sportster i bought and wasn't happy with..... I traded it for my UrbanGS and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Best wishes mate, hope you recover quickly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
Am I missing something?

Have you tried riding it hard?
This bike has tons of torque and is quite agile. My first ride was in Chianti Italy on SR 222. Twisty, hilly and amazingly fun. Find a great road and twist that throttle hard!!!!

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T
2 Posts
As much as it pains me to say it, but if you are not feeling any love for the bike and it isn't making you smile from ear to ear (and you can't figure out why) then it is time to sell the bike and get something that you will like. Sounds as if you've given it a fair shot, but sometimes the magic just won't happen.

I had the same feeling with a BMW K75S - the press loved and called it the best of the K series bikes around at the time. I bought it after a quick test ride, trying to convince myself that I'd love it after being slightly underwhelmed. I have to say it never happened and 3 months later it was sold... Can't say I've had any regrets over it either...
Hey Baldy Dave,
I experienced the same thing with a K75C I bought new in 1987. After coming off a few airheads, I thought it was the answer. Not only did it have a slew of problems and warranty repairs, it didn't light my fire like it was supposed to. I kept mine longer than you did, but ended up trading it for a 1978 Guzzi LeMans MK1. That bike did it for me!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts