BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Well it’s been a while since my original post and I’ve stuck with the R9T - the tyre pressure ‘epiphany’ was absolutely one factor but I’ve also got my position dialled and I bought some CNC levers and they’ve really made a difference in feel, along with the look.
Yesterday I went out on a 120 mile ride down to West Bay (Dorset) and it was fantastic, I actually went 2up and took a friend of mine - my goodness does that bike pull! I knew it had power but it just towed us around and up and down with no noticeable sap in power... utterly impressed.
I also adjusted the sag on the shock and that has made the rear end feel better when I’m one up also.

When we got to West Bay I parked up next to a beautiful Triumph, the guy had his family there and it was obvious it was a new purchase for him - the bike looked great but actually I liked having something different, especially when I started the R9T up with my Pro Race slip on - it sounds great!

So guys, many, many thanks for all the suggestions, opinions and guidance - I’m pleased I ‘reached out’ and I’m happy that I’ve gone through the motions with the bike. Chuffed.

Cheers!
Good stuff! If you think tyre pressure changed the bike, wait until you swap the suspension for something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had mine out twice since I got it, last Sunday and today (Sunday) both relatively short runs both cold runs and have to admit I didn't particularly enjoy either. I'm putting it down to, ride one with an open face helmet, leather jacket and jeans just not being suitable for the temps and ride two, leather jacket and jeans just not being suitable for the temps.

Here's hoping it warms up soon though I fear just getting a chance to ride is going to be a bigger problem as the days go on.

Rich, possibly the worst audio I have ever heard on video.
Hi, yes I use a sony action cam and use the plastic housing to protect from stone damage etc. It muffles audio and despite using off cuts of non slip mat to cushion the camera from rattling within the housing to minimal benefit. When people have asked what does the pipe sound like with the db killer removed, this camera set up does not provide a fair representation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OP - this is a good lesson of listening to your gut. I bought my 2015 9T classic and ‘chased the dragon’ with mods over a 3.5 year period trying to make it into something it wasn’t. Finally bit the bullet and traded it in for a ducati this past spring, which is what I came off of before I went to the 9T and what I lusted after while owning the 9T. I wasted a lot of time and money riding a bike that I enjoyed but always felt disconnected from on an emotional level. Fortunately, I got a good deal on the duc and was able to sell off a lot of the mods to make the monetary difference feel more palatable. Funny thing is, I am riding my hyper way more, my riding has improved considerably, and I simply get a childish grin every time I step over the bike. My only regret was not recognizing this earlier and saving myself money and, perhaps more importantly, time that I could have been riding a bike I did feel truly connected to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curious what didn’t you like about it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi David,
Interesting indeed!
I had a 2014 T100 until I sold it to get the R9T - the reason I sold it and chose the R9T was for a few reasons:
1. I wanted a bigger displacement bike.
2. I wanted something more modern from a technical standpoint.
3. The T120 is a bit toppy price wise and I love the look of the R9T.
4. I wanted to step out of the cliche club ?

I love the handling on the BMW, it’s very precise and feels much more like a modern day street bike.
The power is immense, no qualms there, and it feels like a real brute!
I had the TOR exhausts on my Triumph and they popped and banged and sounded amazing - the R9T has quite a different sound, I prefer the T100 tbh.
The fit on the R9T is very different to the T100’s sat upright stance and, though I knew what I was buying into, I have struggled to find a sweet spot. I’ve fitted Wunderlich 20mm risers, rolled the bars back and levelled up the levers but I’m still not 100% on it.
Lastly, and perhaps most pertinently, the look of the R9T is great but I can’t work out whether I actually want something much more retro. My bike has the cast mag wheels and I wonder if the spoked set might make me feel better.

Jim
I can highly recommend the Helibar R9T handlebar risers; these have significantly improved my enjoyment of the Urban GS; they give a rise of around 25mm, and (more importantly for me) also take the bars back 33mm, which gives a much more natural "feel" to the bike.
They also look reasonable; not too obtrusive.
I'm gonna put a post in the "handlebar riser" thread, with some photos etc, if that's of interest, cheers, Fletch

·
Registered
465 Posts
I second the Helibars - combined on my R9T Roadster with KD foot-peg lowering they opened up the bike for me and made it much more comfortable than the previous tucked-up jockey ergos.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I second the Helibars - combined on my R9T Roadster with KD foot-peg lowering they opened up the bike for me and made it much more comfortable than the previous tucked-up jockey ergos.
Lawrence,
Was the peg lowering kit just “Plug & Play” or did you need to change anything? It’s something I’m considering.
Tia, Ken.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lawrence,
Was the peg lowering kit just “Plug & Play” or did you need to change anything? It’s something I’m considering.
Tia, Ken.
Couldn't be easier, Ken. Simply remove the OE pegs and fit the new KD pegs and springs - which, BTW, are beautifully made. For me, I also rotated the gear-shift lever on the lhs by one spline to allow easier foot positioning when changing gear, as obviously the relationship between new peg level and original lever level changes - a two-minute job.

I think there may be short video on this Forum that shows how - if so, it will be a very short one!

·
Registered
R NineT Pure - 2017
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I can highly recommend the Helibar R9T handlebar risers; these have significantly improved my enjoyment of the Urban GS; they give a rise of around 25mm, and (more importantly for me) also take the bars back 33mm, which gives a much more natural "feel" to the bike.
They also look reasonable; not too obtrusive.
I'm gonna put a post in the "handlebar riser" thread, with some photos etc, if that's of interest, cheers, Fletch
Thanks Mikey,
I should have updated the thread but a guy from work helped me set up the lever position correctly and that seems to have sorted my position woes. I’m still running the Wunderlich 20mm risers and all seems well.
I actually bought some Rox risers too but never fitted them, I’ll be selling them on now I’m all sorted.
Just ordered a Daedalus tail tidy so looks like she’s staying 😊

61 - 68 of 68 Posts