BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Question for those who have fettered with their Nine T.

I get a decidedly numb bum after about an hour on the bike (actually, a bit less), and that really is my limit.

Anyone got any ideas on a much better seat which is not going to make the bike look stupid (mine is a standard R Nine T with the gold forks).

I take the wife on the back sometimes too, so need to stick to a rider/passenger seat.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Try gel padded shorts under your riding gear. The stock seat is soft, ie the sponge compresses too much hence you are getting a numb bum after 1 hour of riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I get a decidedly numb bum after about an hour on the bike (actually, a bit less), and that really is my limit.

Anyone got any ideas on a much better seat which is not going to make the bike look stupid (mine is a standard R Nine T with the gold forks).
Hi,
I had the same problem with my 2016 classic and so went for a Mustang vintage seat, others have had Sargeant seats and there are many threads on this topic.
Even with a better sear 2 hrs was the time it took to feel uncomfortable, so I looked at the real problem...the suspension or rather the lack of it, there have also been many threads on this topic and a lot of opinions. Some had our problem others were quite happy, I suppose it depends on your expectations, riding weight, solo or with pillion and riding style just to mention a few variables. I am 85Kg ready to ride and after I fitted Andriani fork inners and an Ohlins shock with a 150 spring and the internals altered to suit me, the seat now feels fine as it only has to pad my rear and not act as a shock absorber.
So be prepared to spend, as most of us have found these wonderful machines are like black holes to your wallet.
Happy farkling. :2cents:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think after 3-4 years of owning a 9T. all Have to say is

I got used to all the issues the bike has and somehow now I am comfortable

And yesterday it was 93 degrees F where I am and live and I took a 3.5 hour ride with a lunch stop sometime in the afternoon.
When I got home my Helmut cushion was drenching with sweat went to the wash without any thought and even though I was kinda stiff all around I still grabbed the dog and went for a walk

the bike can always be a bit more comfortable but to really have some fun.
well I just got used to its issues and now I spend more time riding over modding it :)

But for seat. comfort. I recommend a custom seat place near you and they should do you wonders with your rear end issue

·
Registered
349 Posts
My nether-region goes numb after about 45 minutes of riding with a passenger.
Upgrading shocks and internal forks has helped a lot but the seat is still pretty uncomfortable over long rides. I'd considered riding to Philadelphia in two weeks but that would be terrible on my back. I will probably try a Mustang or some other seat before finally giving up on the R9T being any good for longer rides.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A Sargent seat offers three advantages over the stock factory seat: it is wider, made of stiffer foam, and concave shaped (which takes pressure off the “nether-region”). The too soft material in the factory seat might feel good in the showroom, but it quickly compresses as you ride, basically leaving you riding on the hard seat pan.

I also found that LOWER handlebars and adjustable footpegs (which move the pegs back an inch and down an inch) aid riding comfort by rotating my body forward and taking some of the weight off my butt bones. The combination of a well-designed seat and a sport-touring riding position makes it easy to ride for hours without pain.

I found it necessary to replace the factory seats on my GS and my standard R9T almost immediately after buying both bikes; but I never felt any need to replace the stock seat on my Racer because the stretched forward riding position took most of the weight off my rear.

The only time my rear end hurts now is when someone mentions the term “bar risers.”

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I bought the Sargent seat and it helped, but not as much as I hoped. But when I combine it with padded bicycle shorts I can finally go longer before the pain and numbness set in. I've only owned one bike that didn't make my butt ache and that was a big heavy touring bike. It was comfortable but it wasn't fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
any better seats ?

Yes. I've accumulated a few. It sucks having a seat that limits your (comfortable) riding time so severely.

BMW Custom, Mustang Original Solo, Sargent.

BMW Custom is the best for playing in the twisties. It's low, hard, and really connects you with the bike. It's actually a little more comfortable than the stock seat, but only because stock is so bad. Not a long distance seat but has a use, serious twisties.

Mustang: Also better than stock because stock is so bad. Better but still a one hour (or less) seat. FWIW I have a Mustang Solo on my other bike (not a BMW) that actually is a good seat.

Sargent: The clear winner. Very different feel. Much better, haven't had my schedule and good weather align well enough to find its' limits but it is definitely better the stock, BMW Custom or Mustang seats. At least for my butt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the details and ideas. The weird thing is it is so comfy initially.

I've seen tons of comments on the suspension, but for me, I have not had any major issues in that area. I'm just under 14 stone in weight, 5' 11.

Didn't do a thorough enough dig around the forum for other posts, so will get on it !

Yes, I totally agree with you, gonna end up spending some on this baby ;-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think after 3-4 years of owning a 9T. all Have to say is

I got used to all the issues the bike has and somehow now I am comfortable

And yesterday it was 93 degrees F where I am and live and I took a 3.5 hour ride with a lunch stop sometime in the afternoon.
When I got home my Helmut cushion was drenching with sweat went to the wash without any thought and even though I was kinda stiff all around I still grabbed the dog and went for a walk

the bike can always be a bit more comfortable but to really have some fun.
well I just got used to its issues and now I spend more time riding over modding it :)

But for seat. comfort. I recommend a custom seat place near you and they should do you wonders with your rear end issue
Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, I am hunting around now, will see what I find. I do find if I stop every hour or so just for 5 mins then I am fine. But, whatever, I do love my bike ! :dirt-bike:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the Sargent seat and it helped, but not as much as I hoped. But when I combine it with padded bicycle shorts I can finally go longer before the pain and numbness set in. I've only owned one bike that didn't make my butt ache and that was a big heavy touring bike. It was comfortable but it wasn't fun to ride.
Bloomin' good point, I had a Honda Pan European for a short while which was sooo comfy, and wind blast at all, but no fun at all for me. Gonna work on some idea people have kindly posted here..

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I can tell you the RSD seat looks amazing but is a board. I have a BMW scrambler seat on order as I want the mustang look. If that still blows, i'll be grabbing a Sargent with some custom bomber leather.

In general, this isn't a bike build for long distance, no more so than a sport bike. That's why i have 3 others :) If I want comfort I hope on the R1200GS :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the details and ideas. The weird thing is it is so comfy initially.

I've seen tons of comments on the suspension, but for me, I have not had any major issues in that area. I'm just under 14 stone in weight, 5' 11.

Didn't do a thorough enough dig around the forum for other posts, so will get on it !

Yes, I totally agree with you, gonna end up spending some on this baby ;-)
That's reassuring I'm 5'10'' and just over 14 st, only ridden demo distances a couple of times. Same as you I didn't really have any issue with suspenson.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I'm suffering from Early Bum Fatigue as well.

The low Scrambler stock seat (bench) was sheer torture and for me rideable only with wooden beads (not praying, on the seat). The higher stock seat is better. Since a day or two I'm riding without the beads to see if that works. But still on the hunt...

If it helps, this is my current seat overview from my "Farkles" file:

• BMW "high" seat (oder "Sitzbank hoch”) $434 (Sierra BMW) or Euro 288 @ BMW NL München 10.17, viel besser!
Higher seated position, particularly for tall riders
High-quality seat surface, synthetic leather (same as standard)
Seat height: 33.5 in (standard: 32.3 in)
Seated-arc length: 74.4 cm (standard: 72 cm)
Weight: 1.8 kg (these comments from BMW)

• Seth Laam in Redding, CA, builds custom seats on stock seat pan. Vinyl $400+, Leather $500+

• Rich Phillips in St Charles, MO, makes bench seats. BMW R nine T Parts $439

• Renazco Racing, Dual sport Seats. Vinyl $350+ but no Scrambler camel colour. Also avail. in suede Renazco Dual Sport Seats

• RSD Enzo – only bad reviews

• Sargent.com, from $400 vinyl or $500 leather + rear seat. No bench as of 02.18 for Scrambler

• Divine Upholstery by Paul Davies (is in the UK?) - go to his Facebook Page

• Luimoto in Vancouver BC - seatcovers with gel, supposedly excellent. Call Alvin. https://www.luimoto.com/

• Un1t (aka Unit) Garage biposto leather seat: “Dreadful”

If someone has any info to add – excellent, thanks!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
• Sargent.com, from $400 vinyl or $500 leather + rear seat. No bench as of 02.18 for Scrambler
Sargent had a sale (discount) for some holiday earlier this year and I paid $261 USD rider only. It was a very worth while discount.

If you go on Sargents site and create an account you can sign up to be notified of sales etc.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I'm suffering from Early Bum Fatigue as well.

The low Scrambler stock seat (bench) was sheer torture and for me rideable only with wooden beads (not praying, on the seat). The higher stock seat is better. Since a day or two I'm riding without the beads to see if that works. But still on the hunt...

If it helps, this is my current seat overview from my "Farkles" file:

• BMW "high" seat (oder "Sitzbank hoch”) $434 (Sierra BMW) or Euro 288 @ BMW NL München 10.17, viel besser!
Higher seated position, particularly for tall riders
High-quality seat surface, synthetic leather (same as standard)
Seat height: 33.5 in (standard: 32.3 in)
Seated-arc length: 74.4 cm (standard: 72 cm)
Weight: 1.8 kg (these comments from BMW)

• Seth Laam in Redding, CA, builds custom seats on stock seat pan. Vinyl $400+, Leather $500+

• Rich Phillips in St Charles, MO, makes bench seats. BMW R nine T Parts $439

• Renazco Racing, Dual sport Seats. Vinyl $350+ but no Scrambler camel colour. Also avail. in suede Renazco Dual Sport Seats

• RSD Enzo – only bad reviews

• Divine Upholstery by Paul Davies (is in the UK?) - go to his Facebook Page

• Luimoto in Vancouver BC - seatcovers with gel, supposedly excellent. Call Alvin. https://www.luimoto.com/

• Un1t (aka Unit) Garage biposto leather seat: “Dreadful”

If someone has any info to add – excellent, thanks!
Great list! My struggle is finding a good mustang style. I've got the high BMW scrambler on the way to replace my RSD seat.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The story of my life...
I've changed or modified every seat of every bike I've had. Always some better but never perfect.
The near to perfect experience came from a stander GSA seat combined with bicycle shorts.

I've changed the scrambler seat for a Nine-T seat wit a gel insert. Not convinced of the gel insert, but the nine-T seat is already an improvement. But riding is still limited to two or three hours maximum.

Please let me know as soon as you've found a solution, before I decide to stop riding a bike.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts