BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Administrator
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you have experienced a numb throttle hand when riding your R Nine. I get numbness start to kick in after 50 miles and need to stop for 5 mins to let the feeling return.

I know some of you have experienced similar and am interested in your stories and potential solutions. Different handlebars? Risers? Different grips? I was hoping to fit some black Pastrana FMX pro taper bars over the winter, would this be a good step given their dimensions?

I was thinking about getting a mechanical cruise control so I could take my hand off the bars and rest it when safe to do so. You can pick up cheap ones for about £15 which would do the trick, but if there's a better solution I'm keen to know. :)

· Administrator
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope I don't lean heavily on my wrists and strangely my clutch wrist is completely ok.

· Premium Member
2,312 Posts
That's a pretty common problem on most motorbikes Dave, and dependent on lots of factors. Most typical is posture - sometimes our natural posture, sometimes it's the way our body responds to the bikes ergonomics (not blaming anyone). I always tell people to start with fixing their posture on the bike first, then start buying stuff. Next time you ride, make sure your shoulders are dropped and relaxed, elbows too. Loosen your grip on the bars and try to take any bends out of your wrists. I find a lot of the time my hands are going numb because my arms are locked, wrists are bent, and my shoulders are shrugging. Naked bikes and wind blast will do that to ya.

If that does nothing for you, it might just be the engine vibes. A lot of Beemer riders have success with Grip Puppies.

If that does nothing. Try bar risers.

If that does nothing. Buy one of those TV advertised, vibrating work-out belts and see if you can get it to vibrate at the same frequency as the bike.

· Administrator
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a pretty common problem on most motorbikes Dave, and dependent on lots of factors. Most typical is posture - sometimes our natural posture, sometimes it's the way our body responds to the bikes ergonomics (not blaming anyone). I always tell people to start with fixing their posture on the bike first, then start buying stuff. Next time you ride, make sure your shoulders are dropped and relaxed, elbows too. Loosen your grip on the bars and try to take any bends out of your wrists. I find a lot of the time my hands are going numb because my arms are locked, wrists are bent, and my shoulders are shrugging. Naked bikes and wind blast will do that to ya.

If that does nothing for you, it might just be the engine vibes. A lot of Beemer riders have success with Grip Puppies.

If that does nothing. Try bar risers.

If that does nothing. Buy one of those TV advertised, vibrating work-out belts and see if you can get it to vibrate at the same frequency as the bike.
Thanks for your suggestions. :)

The thing is I also own a Mk1 Le Mans and it is equipped with clip-on bars and rearsets and I never get numb hands... I've ridden this bike for decades so I'm wondering if my posture sub-consciously tries to somehow emulate a Le Mans riding position on the Bee-Emm...

I used to own a R100RS and that never gave me issues either.....

Something to consider, perhaps...

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,648 Posts

· Premium Member
1,006 Posts
As I said in the "long distance" thread, I had numb hands occasionally when riding in the canyons or in heavy traffic when I first started riding the Ninet, then after installing 1.5" ROX risers it went away. Countless long days in the saddle with no issue with hands, wrists, etc. with risers and fairing. Then I took the risers off when I removed my fairing, the numbness came back fiercely, more so when I put the fairing back on but not the risers.

With the fairing, and my size, posture, whatever, I need risers to be comfy, without the fairing it's not as bad but with risers I never got numb hands, even after 15 hours in the saddle.

What does this all mean?

We're all different and it takes trial and error to find the combination of crap you can adjust or buy to find what works to make your ride more enjoyable. :)
Grips, handlebars, risers, screens, seats, footpegs - all have interrelated effect on individuals comfort. I found my happy place, what's yours?

· Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Reactions: 張育èª

· Premium Member
2,312 Posts

The thing is I also own a Mk1 Le Mans and it is equipped with clip-on bars and rearsets and I never get numb hands... I've ridden this bike for decades so I'm wondering if my posture sub-consciously tries to somehow emulate a Le Mans riding position on the Bee-Emm...

I think you're probably on to something there. The 9T is just sporty enough in stock form to kinda urge you into a psuedo-tuck position where your wrists bend and cut off circulation. Your Le Mans with rear-sets and clip-ons was suited for that position, and I'm assuming your RS was more sit-up-and-beg. The 9T is definitely on the sporty side of standard. Same as Lost, I've had no issues since adding risers. Prior to the risers, on long rides, my right hand would go numb occasionally and I'd have to force myself into better posture to alleviate. I had the same issue on my R1200R until I installed risers. I've never had the numb hand issue on any of my dual sports (with very upright ergos). YMMV

· Registered
913 Posts

Hi Dave, this happens to me too and it is Posture or our riding habits.
It happens to me on all bikes. I have a tendancing of putting too much pressure on my wrist. I am trying to learn the engineers idea of comfort and its true you will need some time to tweek yourself along with the bike till you get it to perfect riding position. But it is truly the rider riding style or putting too much pressure
on one part of your body etc. I am now at the point where when I do feel numb I lay off the hand or wrist without letting go of the handlebar. And this has worked for me. my numbness goes away in a few seconds and I also start training myself on the proper position for my size body etc.

· Registered
10 Posts
As others have said and quite possibly a combination of several factors.

A more sporty crouch sometimes forces you to use your stomach muscles and abs to support your upper body weight - maybe the 9Ts more upright position does not.

For me, numbness came from an over-tight grip and gloves that were sightly too tight:|

· Registered
58 Posts
The wunderluch risers helped me a little bit, but I'm still getting numbness. Next step is grip buddies..,to me I'm thinking it's just the grips seem too small. I've been riding a sportster for about 3 years so maybe my hand is more used to larger grips/bar size.

It doesn't matter what position I ride, sitting up or aggressive I still get the numb hands off and on.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Xbox and I had the same experience...

A change of gloves and really lighten up your grip.

I had a pic of a motogp rider at full tilt deep in a corner and his hands are loose.
And by loose I mean relaxed.

It makes a huge difference, at least it did for me. No more numbness. ( if it returns I realize in just need to relax the hands ).

It does force you to use your core muscles more, and that's a good thing.

· Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Neoprene Grip covers will help

· Registered
110 Posts
I've noticed if I "lock" my elbows for an extended period of time I get the numbness. I don't even realize that I'm doing it. Definitely makes for a nervous moment when you are cruising down the highway with a numb throttle hand! I'm going to have to look at some of these items mentioned in this thread for help.

Thanks gents!

· Premium Member
741 Posts
So far I tried four different handlebars (for different reasons; not the numb hands) and the neoprene grip thingies... I still get/got the numb and tingle-lie fingers.

I found the neoprene grip covers not ideal as they increase the diameter of the grip too much making it rather uncomfortable to ride... plus the numb hands remained.

If anyone wants a pair :) they are called 'PussyGrips Motorcycle Comfort Grip'... :-/ they were only 19bux oz.

· Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Can also ride with index and middle finger resting on the brake/clutch lever which forces a more relaxed grip. Light hands is the key.

· Registered
58 Posts
I usually ride with 2 fingers loosely on my brake lever, but sort of go back and forth to keep the hands moving around. Helps a little, but this is the first bike I have had to cause this. I noticed this same sort of numbness when I test drove the Hyperstrada. I am thinking maybe its from the really fast vibration in the bars?

I wonder if any sort of rubber )where you cannot see it) in the handlebar mounts would help?

So, I recently got the foam covers, and like Marc - Australia mentioned above, they actually are too big. I found they were huge, larger than 1" handlebars. So, I have a pair of the Grip Buddies coming, as those are a smaller, extra rubber cover and not so intense of a foam cover. I also thought the foam covers looked like dogs balls, and one of them tore while I was putting it on. Fail....

I don't think it has to do with seating position, at least not in my case. I ride with a nasty posture on my HD, never had this sort of throttle hand syndrome. I have got this before while riding really aggressive in the mountains, but only on my clutch hand when I was popping from 2nd and 3rd really often. It only happened once as well, and I think had more to do with because I had not rode for about a month before that trip.

Anyways, its the only thing I don't like about the bike as I never expected it. Hope I can find a solution soon!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts