BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a set of these from @PierCityCustom a couple of days ago, and they arrived this morning (usual exemplary service - thanks Rory!). First off, they're fantastic value compared to the competition and they look pretty - here's a stock shot but I'll post one of them fitted to my bike shortly (it's still too wet to go out as I only cleaned the bike yesterday)...

The reason for posting about them, though, relates to they manner in which they fit to the handlebars. I've tried both lane splitters and Puig mirrors to date, and both of them utilised an expandable collet to grip the inside of the bars. Possibly due to the design of the bars (specifically the inner thread) I've never been able to get a tight enough fit, but these Oberons use a different approach. Instead of an expandable collet there's a sleeve that's threaded on the outside at one end...

This just gets screwed tightly into the handlebar thread, and then the bar end bolt screws into the inner thread of the sleeve. The result is a fit that's so tight I don't know why every manufacturer doesn't offer the same fitting.

I can't recommend the Oberons highly enough. Oh, and I've always found @PierCityCustom to be highly knowledgable and customer-focussed - if you don't know them the website is here (and I have no affiliation whatsoever - I just appreciate top quality service). Well done, guys!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,254 Posts
Hey learningtofly,

+1

I agree wholeheartedly with you regarding the Oberon bar end mirrors, well made and look fantastic!

·
Registered
134 Posts
This just gets screwed tightly into the handlebar thread, and then the bar end bolt screws into the inner thread of the sleeve. The result is a fit that's so tight I don't know why every manufacturer doesn't offer the same fitting.
Rizoma part LP321 is exactly this. M12 threaded bolt that screws into the handlebar and has a M6 inner thread for standard bar ends. They're like $10 each but fit the R nine T perfectly.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rizoma part LP321 is exactly this. M12 threaded bolt that screws into the handlebar and has a M6 inner thread for standard bar ends. They're like $10 each but fit the R nine T perfectly.
They don’t look to be the same at all, Bob, although it’s a similar principle, I guess. There doesn’t seem to be an outer thread on the Rizoma? That aside, the Rizoma mirrors are substantially more expensive than Oberon.

Edit: My mistake, Bob, you’re quite right!

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are two different pictures of the Rizoma part floating around, one shows a friction fit, the other threads. I was careful when I got mine to get them from a site that had the picture with the threads. I don't know if there's a different part or just bad photos. As far as I could tell the part numbers were the same. Posting to let others know that this is a great solution.

Also, due to some confusion on shipping schedules I ended up with a 2nd set of these parts (the ones with the threads), and return was too much of a hassle. If anyone wants them I'm happy to send them for the cost of postage, or meet to hand them off if you're in the San Francisco Bay area of California!

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are two different pictures of the Rizoma part floating around, one shows a friction fit, the other threads. I was careful when I got mine to get them from a site that had the picture with the threads. I don't know if there's a different part or just bad photos. As far as I could tell the part numbers were the same. Posting to let others know that this is a great solution.

Also, due to some confusion on scheduled I ended up with a 2nd set of these parts (the ones with the threads), and return was too much of a hassle. If anyone wants them I'm happy to send them for the cost of postage, or meet to hand them off if you're in the San Francisco Bay area of California!
Yes, that’s precisely what confused me. Very nice of you to offer the spare set too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts