BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R nineT "Classic" VA plate BXR 9T
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is not much about the R nineT (r9t) design I do not like; however, there are parts bin bits on the Classic that don't match the bike style. The "lollipop" mirrors were on the top of my list of things I wanted to replace.

My r9t has the original bars and they are Texas longhorn big.

I've used bar-end mirrors (Cateyes) on my Bandit for nearly a decade, but that bike has shortened bars. I thought the Texas (okay, bavarian) longhorn was too much bar for bar-end mirrors.

It has taken 31k US miles looking over the handlebars trying to decide how to solve the lollipop problem. It was time to jump or live with my burning dislike of BA mirrors in my face. Enter the Oberon Streetfighter Bar End Mirrors 60mm (60s).

Not going into how I settled on these but will say price, materials, design, and taking only one parking slot all entered into the equation.

The 60s are convex auto spec glass in a CNC machined aluminum billet. Some of the bits appear to be steel (the mirror mounting stem and bar-end 'weight') but whatever. I wanted to have the mirror stem pointing "up" from the handlebar to reduce the span as much as possible. This complicates installation since the torque you use to tighten one of the set-screws will rotate your bar-end weight, and mirrors, out of adjustment. The Oberon Streetfighter adjustment is set with screws, so there are some time-saving tips following my thoughts on using the mirrors.

Use: The 60s, with their bar-end weight, add about 100mm (4-inches) to the span of my handlebars. My head movement is greater when performing mirror checks because the r9t is a Texas longhorn. I finished a 700-mile ride and this head movement didn't cause any issues for me.

The sight picture holds almost the same field of view as the lollipops, which may be surprising. The picture is smaller but the info is about the same in that picture, which is pretty good. I did not see vibration anywhere from 10-80 mph.

(Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear)

The material for the mirror is optically top-notch and the CNC work is nicely done. The stem and weight are not that special; however, the weight allows one to mount the mirror-stem either up (like in my pictures), down (but your arms block in the view), or out. Obviously, the span of your bars will jump nearly an additional 280mm (or 11-inches) if you elect to mount them in the ends of the weight rather than up. Nearly a foot. (If you are looking for that in metric it is "a lot.")

Overall, Oberon Streetfighters are a good option for me. I like the view over my bars without the dang lollipops in my field of view. A little more head movement (we are doing head-checks anyway, right?) and the bull has (slightly) longer horns are the negatives. And I don't think they distract from my bike's character too much...

(This bike has more circles than a Suzuki rotary)

... at least, not as much as a pair of trapezoidal lollipops.

Installation notes and tips: This was the original bar-end 'streetfighter' from Oberon, so they've had almost a decade to evolve. I chose to go with 2 mirrors; the documentation and description both mentioned a collet for mounting to the bars. I wasted 30-seconds looking for a collet in the first blister pack before noting there wasn't one in either package. Pro tip: on the r9t, the mounting hardware includes a thread adapter instead of the collet used on other more generic bars.

Materials needed that are not in the pack: Blue or red Permatex (I went with blue), T55 and T30 Torx (male) wrench, 5mm and 6mm Allen head (hex) wrenches, 14mm open-end wrench, a soft lead pencil, (thank-you IKEA) $95USD (for a pair of mirrors), and about 15 minutes of easy installation. Oh, and another 45 minutes (up to one eternity) to adjust the Streetfighters to one's liking.

• When removing the BMW bar-ends (using the T55 Torx wrench) I noted BMW thought red Permatex was a good idea.
  • Do NOT remove the well-adjusted stock lollipops (using the 14mm wrench) until near the end of the process so you can use them as a reference "sight picture" when adjusting the 60s into their final position.
  • The Oberon thread adapter is installed first using the 6mm hex key and Permatex. Permatex is your friend. In my experience, one needn't worry about getting this too tight and stripping the aluminum thread: I put on serious torque and I will replace the bars if I ever need to remove this adapter. There was no stripping. I let the Permatex set up before finishing but it shouldn't matter.
  • You will not be able to get the bar-end weight tight enough (5mm hex key) to keep it from creeping when you tighten the set-bolt for the mirror stalk. (Using the 6mm hex key) The weight will creep. My suggestion is to plan ahead for this movement using the next step item...
  • 'Rough-in" the position for the 60s matching the sight picture of the lollipops as your reference and use a soft pencil to mark where everything should go.
    • I decided to keep the hole of the bar-end weight top-dead-center to limit the number of adjustment axes I need to worry about. The mirror set-screw adjustment was used for the up-and-down axis and the mirror stem for a final left-right adjustment.
    • Do not tighten more than you need, just enough to hold everything in place allowing you to mark locations with a pencil. This will be handy because the bar-end weight will creep.
Pencil marks (look closely)

• Pull everything apart except the thread adapter.
  • Re-install the bar-end weight with Permatex; account for the 'creep' when you tighten the mirror stem set-screw. As in; when you 'righty-tighty' the stem set-screw with huge torque, the weight will rotate one or two degrees in sympathy. Plan on that rotation to end with the stem-well being straight up. And remember, the left weight will rotate down, the right will rotate up relative to the saddle.
  • Pack your Allen wrenches and go for a hundred-mile ride after you have everything tightened; then, recheck the various set screws for tightness. Check again after your first major ride. Check again whenever you put air in your tyres. (Tires) I'd go so far as to say you should check before every ride-day that ends with a "y."
  • You can mount your lollipop stem pipe clamp "upside-down" (using the T30 Torx wrench) if you don't want to spend $180USD on a pair of r9t Racer pipe clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome! I just got a new pair of bar-end mirrors (from China - have to see how well they work) and have yet to install them. So this guide is very helpful.
Plus I like your tip to mount the lollipop stem pipe clamp "upside-down".

·
Registered
2018 R nineT "Classic" VA plate BXR 9T
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! I just got a new pair of bar-end mirrors (from China - have to see how well they work) and have yet to install them. So this guide is very helpful.
Plus I like your tip to mount the lollipop stem pipe clamp "upside-down".
blush

1 - 3 of 3 Posts