BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OEM accessory Akrapovic Slip-On "Sport" Canister

I purchased the accessory Akrapovic "Sport" slip on from BMW. I liked how lightweight the all titanium and carbon fiber construction provides. I also liked that the logo is a matte grey graphic instead of a multicolored glossy badge as provided by purchasing the non-BMW branded Akrapovic Slip-On.

I wanted to say fit and finish is spectacular. Welds are beautiful. It's constructed so well that it's actually something to admire for a bit.

Curiously it smoked a lot for the first few minutes, didn't smell of gas or anything but rather a grey sooty smoldering slightly plastic fire. It was pretty dramatic and slightly alarming since I had done numberous modifications and the thought had crossed my mind as to the possibility that I seriously dicked something up.

However it cleared up and doesn't smell anymore, could this thing possiblely have some kind of catalytic converter arrangement?

I had one issue, and a big one at that... The sound. Quiet at idle, loud as heck with crack of the throttle. Strangely very percussive, high pitched too. Think of the sound and feel of a woodpecker, and mix that with a professional ping pong match. It was strange to me.

So I thought to remove the baffle, I cracked off the set screw which was tack welded to keep it from vibrating off. And began what turned out to be a vigorous, scary and complicated event. First a tug with the fingers, then a wiggle, then pliers, then channel locks, then PB Blaster, then hammer, then attempting to make a slide hammer / impact pulled out of 1/8" steel rod, then, then I got out a f$*?ing reciprocating saw!

Yes I wrapped my brand new $1200 Akrapovic exhaust system with welding gloves and duct tape to prevent cracking the carbon fiber end piece or sawing through the titanium tip with a flipping reciprocating saw!

Carefully I cut, twisted and snapped off pieces of the baffle. Slow and tedious, all while having good cause for concern. After a good 30-35 minutes of struggle and 6 relief cuts the PB Blaster finally had penetrated and it began to twist out.

Now with the baffled removed I am pleased to say that the sound of more of a rumble than a thumble type of sound and it sounds much more agressive on both acceleration and over-run/deceleration. Less "pop" and more "burble", but man this thing is loud at anything other then idle or ever so slightly decelerating as if you slowly were backing off the throttle.

All in all, I'm happy with it. To be honest, I just wish it was quieter with the baffle out or for that matter, more ruble and less popping with the baffle in place.

That's my review of an exhaust which I could hardly find any information on, I hope that this helps people to make more informed purchasing decisions on such a costly item.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like you know what you are doing ! Cool, post a vid of your new sound please.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tks for the writeup

Looks like I'll be sticking to the stock exhausts then, since the single Akra with baffles in doesnt seem to sound that great :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi sounds like a problem I had. When the Allen screw is removed but the baffle won't come out what's happened is that the metal gets ever so slightly tack welded together & no matter what you try it won't budge. Easy to get frustrated & wreck an expensive exhaust! I nearly did. Once I had Sussed it out a very slight but sharp tap with a sturdy punch broke the weld and hey presto - fell out. :D

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I installed my Akra slip on this morning. I opted for the multicolor sticker and saved a few bucks in the process. I do like the matte gray graphic on the BMW one too. I can always remove the sticker..

The fit and finish is excellent. I also like the way it shows the rear wheel! At any rate, it was easy to install. The weight difference between the stock canon and the slip on is about 4 lbs +/-. You can really tell when you hold them both in your hands.

The slip on offers a richer and slightly louder tone when compared to stock. I have not removed the baffle just yet. I had no idea it was such a pain. Thanks for the removal tips! Something to toy around with this weekend. Here are some photos!

Dutch

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo of the carnage, would it be out of line for me to contact Akrapovic asking for a free replacement for my effort?

I will do some audio recordings, I might even pick up a standalone recorder like a Tascam DR-05 and a good windscreen. (Anybody have one to loan?) Setting the gain manually and doing it the right distance from the pipe is the only way to get a realistic sound.

I have noticed that now with about 100 miles on it, that the tone has changed for the better. It's lost some of the initial edge, the sharpness has mellowed a fairly discernible amount. In fact it continues to grow on me, main reason being that it has a lot of character. And by that I mean it's like hearing an 12 instrument orchestra as you go through the different motions while riding, where as the stock pipe is like a 3 instrument band. The band is great, but it's limited in the scope of variety that it can produce in comparison to an orchestra.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and I changed the final drive fluid today as part of the 600 mile service, and to can just barely slip the rear wheel out with the Akrapovic still installed.

However if you are not careful you may put a chip in the black wheel, don't ask me how I know this.

On a side note, my oil was opaque dark grey with a small amount of milk (water condensation) but what was really note worthy was that the hollowed out drain plug was LOADED with finely ground metal the consistency of AntiSeize.

I was shocked as I had anticipated changing final drive oil at 600 mile service to be slightly unnecessary or over the top. And that is coming from a guy who likes to do the first oil change at 250 miles for the same reason.

This picture was of after I had cleaned out the plug, I initially thought it was flush until I went to wipe it off then I realized that it was hollowed out, and quite deep really!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got an Akra from BMW (with the black logo), fitted it on in 15 minutes (low position - takes me a little longer for high) and rode for a couple of blocks. Let it cool down for 15 minutes and just unscrewed the baffle and it just came of with just my hand - nothing else. Dont know if its an issue with the generic Akras but I did the same on a friends BMW bought pipe, and the result was the same.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
7 Posts
I know this thread is five years old, but I just wanted to ask a question of those of you who have installed the Akra single. Have any of you checked to see whether it affects the air/fuel ratio at all and did any of you use a PowerCommander or equivalent? I know most people say you only need a PC or tune if you change the headers, but I've heard that some slip ons do require a PC. I also understand the BMW branded one is factory approved, but was also curious whether its installation at a shop comes with an update of the ECU. Cheers!

·
Registered
124 Posts
not sure of a change in the air/fuel ratio but there is no ecu update from the dealer. honestly it only slightly changes the tone from stock, it's not much louder at all.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
7 Posts
not sure of a change in the air/fuel ratio but there is no ecu update from the dealer. honestly it only slightly changes the tone from stock, it's not much louder at all.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. This is my next upgrade after I install my Ohlins fork and shock which are on order as we speak🤞

·
Registered
559 Posts
The Akra Single is a BMW supplied OEM Part - it's the HP Exhaust you see in the accessory catalogue and comes without any ECU changes.
Some other bike makers give you a USB stick to update ECU if you change the exhaust to a performance one.

But if you change to catless headers - then you should consider the options you mention or Brentuning etc.

Edit to add: OK - I'm just repeating what's been said I think ...

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
7 Posts
The Akra Single is a BMW supplied OEM Part - it's the HP Exhaust you see in the accessory catalogue and comes without any ECU changes.
Some other bike makers give you a USB stick to update ECU if you change the exhaust to a performance one.

But if you change to catless headers - then you should consider the options you mention or Brentuning etc.

Edit to add: OK - I'm just repeating what's been said I think ...
Great to know. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. This is my next upgrade after I install my Ohlins fork and shock which are on order as we speak🤞
they used to sell the slip-on with an akra sticker (removable) instead of the etched logo for much cheaper than the BMW sourced part, which to my knowledge was exactly the same. this is what i went with on my bike. I think they only do it in black now:

just note you'll have to get the connector pipe separately.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
86 Posts
Hello I was wondering if any one has installed the Akrapovic titanium non cat. header on the nine-t ? I need to know if you still use flapper delete tube, and will dual can stock silencer still work ? Will stock O2 sensors install properly, Do I need to remap ? Hope some one can help I tried to contact Akrapovic and the person responding had no answers

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
7 Posts
they used to sell the slip-on with an akra sticker (removable) instead of the etched logo for much cheaper than the BMW sourced part, which to my knowledge was exactly the same. this is what i went with on my bike. I think they only do it in black now:

just note you'll have to get the connector pipe separately.
Thanks for the info Speedm. I actually like the way the black looks although, as an owner of a couple titanium bicycles, understand the allure of bare metal. Now here's another question I've been kicking around. The low mount Akrapovic (Non BMW branded) slip on seems to be compatible with the passenger footpegs. I've read on the product description of a couple of vendors of the BMW branded one that even the low mount requires removal of the passenger footpegs. Don't know if anyone can confirm one or the other. Here's a pic of the Akrapovic non-BMW branded slip on with the footpegs. Looks pretty sweet to me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the info Speedm. I actually like the way the black looks although, as an owner of a couple titanium bicycles, understand the allure of bare metal. Now here's another question I've been kicking around. The low mount Akrapovic (Non BMW branded) slip on seems to be compatible with the passenger footpegs. I've read on the product description of a couple of vendors of the BMW branded one that even the low mount requires removal of the passenger footpegs. Don't know if anyone can confirm one or the other. Here's a pic of the Akrapovic non-BMW branded slip on with the footpegs. Looks pretty sweet to me.
the low mount uses the stock position mounting point, which is attached to the left passenger footpeg, so yes it's compatible.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello I was wondering if any one has installed the Akrapovic titanium non cat. header on the nine-t ? I need to know if you still use flapper delete tube, and will dual can stock silencer still work ? Will stock O2 sensors install properly, Do I need to remap ? Hope some one can help I tried to contact Akrapovic and the person responding had no answers
i have the stainless version of the headers, i run it with the stock flapper. i'm assuming your flapper delete tube is basically the same fitting as the flapper tube, so yes it should work with the stock exhaust. i ran the headers with a booster plug (you can debate if they work or not) and it ran great. i now run a bren tune, though i would say the booster plug works fine. stock o2 sensors install properly in those headers.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
86 Posts
Thanks speedm, are those the stainless headers in your photo? I was wondering how the stainless blues? I did notice significate price difference versus titanium Do you have to polish often ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts