BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking to understand if the 22 in NIX 22 represents the tube diameter vs the 30 mm tube for the Wilbers option and if the larger diameter is any better in riding experience.

Also - not sure how two different tine sizes can fit the triple tree ( I should measure the bikes stock tube size 馃槕).

Lastly, for the Ohlins option, I have to reuse to stock tube vs install the whole shock as is for Wilbers. I鈥檓 wondering if I can do the Wilbers myself vs having to let an expert do the Ohlins install. I鈥檓 a 3 out of 10 on handiness.

Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the tube diameter is for the cartridge inside of the outer shock tube. Duh. In which case, even the Wilbers seems like something I want to be careful trying on my own.

Registered
As you likely know, the Wilbers cartridge kit comes with new fork tubes, this bumps the price up dramatically and is really only warranted if you are looking to raise the fork height. The Ohlins Nix is just the cartridge kit and pretty straight forward to fit, works excellently by all accounts. If you do pay someone else to fit the Ohlins it shouldn't be too costly.:cool:

Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
For what its worth I fitted the Ohlins NIX22 cartridges to my Triumph Bobber. Its really not a difficult job provided you can get the front end jacked up safely. The hardest part for me was getting the bolts out from the bottom of the forks. Unlike the BMW the Triumph ones dont have any locking mechanism and the Triumph factory seemed a bit over zealous in applying thread lock.
It needed a long 8mm allen bolt and I didn't have one to hand so I cut down an 8mm allen wrench and fitted that in an 8mm impact socket. Using a 1/2" impact gun I got one bolt out, but the other one wouldn't budge. The impact twisted the allen key up like a bit of fusilli spaghetti!

In the end I had to drill the bolt head out and annoyingly the bolt was a fine pitch (1mm?) thread which I also didn't have to hand. Aside from that grief it was pretty easy. The "pull up" tool wasn't needed and the spring could be compressed with a thin wrench to fit the caps. With that said the springs may well be different on the BMW and may require a spring compressor. I will find out soon as I have a pair of Nitron cartridges on order. I doubt it will be too challenging to fabricate something to suit though.

If you aren't confident then I would get a pro to fit them but of the two options for me the Ohlins would be the preferred one. It depends really on what the price difference is. For sure fitting a set of pre-built fork legs would be pretty easy compared to doing the cartridges on your own forks.

As far as improvement goes. Its dramatically better on the Triumph, but then these are very basic forks. I can only describe it as turning and otherwise fidgety front end into one running on a glass smooth road surface.

Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spring compression part during removal and installation is the tricky bit I can鈥檛 understand. If I have to buy a tool for a one time job, will just have someone else do it.

Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
I will let you know how I get one when my Nitron cartridges turn up. As I say I managed to fit Ohlins cartridges to my Triumph without spending 90 quid on a tool I am unlikely to ever use again. Looking through another thread someone knocked together a tool with a floor jack so its probably not too big of a challenge.

Registered
The spring compression part during removal and installation is the tricky bit I can鈥檛 understand. If I have to buy a tool for a one time job, will just have someone else do it.
The spring compressor tool I bought was a simple collar with a handle on each side, if you have a helper one man can do the compressing and the other the spanner work. I was alone and sat the fork leg on the ground with a suitable timber dowel through the axle hole and used a pair ratchet straps from that dowel up to the spring compressor hand tool handles. As far as a one time job, when you change fork oil you have to go through the same process again to do it properly. The tool is not expensive, it's a universal generic thing.:cool:

Registered
2021 Nine T Pure 719 Aluminum
So the Nix 22 kit does fit the 2021 Pure? I haven't heard of any changes to the front forks between the '20 and '21 models. Revzilla says the Nix 22 kit doesn't fit but I have a question out to Ohlins to find out if that's true. My biggest disappointment with the bike is the front fork (after all my other mods)...at least the stock rear has adjustability!

Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the Nix 22 kit does fit the 2021 Pure? I haven't heard of any changes to the front forks between the '20 and '21 models. Revzilla says the Nix 22 kit doesn't fit but I have a question out to Ohlins to find out if that's true. My biggest disappointment with the bike is the front fork (after all my other mods)...at least the stock rear has adjustability!
Not sure if the cartridge fits 鈥21. Their site and Revzilla鈥檚 site wasn鈥檛 updated even for 2020. But working with a suspension shop, they ordered the right part for me. Still waiting for the part to get here though.

Registered
R9teees
I have the Ohlins and my urban and have no complaints. I have a Wilbers rear on a scrambler With us supposed spring upgrade in the front. I bought the bike that way . The previous owner was not as heavy as I am so I plan to upgrade the rear spring and install a nitron cartridge kit in the front forks over the winter. The suspension shop that I use for Ohlins is very comprehensive during the set up process and they specifically ask What is your riding style. Theoretically they can set it up for a softer ride if that鈥檚 what you want. They鈥檝e been pretty good with turnaround times for Maintenence as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts