BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone. Just spent some time on the bike and wanted to change the oil on my 2016. Only had the bike 18 months and it’s out of warranty so was doing it myself.
It would seem that the last bugger who did the job over tightened the drain plug which was seized. Got it moving but the thread seems buggered and it now just spins (both anti-clockwise and clockwise). It’s not leaking but I cannot get it out.

Any thoughts please? I either need to get the plug out by some means or replace the whole sump case.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you can manage to ultimately get it out and you do determine that the sump threads (and not just the plug threads) are indeed stripped it's pretty common to repair such things with Heli-coil, Timesert or other similar threaded inserts.

There should be many YouTube videos on the topic and methods. Oil plugs, spark plugs, other sundry threaded areas in soft aluminum. It will require some care in drilling and retapping to work clear if you don't remove the sump cover but the repair should be good as new, maybe better. Some insert systems may not even require drilling but it's always the metal bits you'll create that you want to account for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you mate I am aware that a Time Sert might work but how on earth do I get the old bolt out? Any ideas I cannot find a you tube video that shows how to get a flush hex bolt out.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,404 Posts
Maybe try external circlip pliers to push against the sides of the hex 'hole' to help you pull down as you turn.
Or if you could drill a small hole at 45deg angle and insert a pin/nail, that would also give you something to pull down on as you turn. :unsure:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any chance you have documentation on who did last oil change, like dealer.
If you do I would bring it to there attention, Try to make them do right by you.

If you got it out, perhaps try to clean up the threads with a tap.

Not your fault , it that's why I own multiple torque wrenches.

Awhile agowhen I had a Hionda Accord, I took it to garage for oil change. ( I despised the messy horizontally installed oil filter on it.) got it back , oil leaking. Found out they stripped the drain plug, wouldn't tighten up. Tracked down the owner of the garage, told him about it. He reimbursed my for the new oil pan.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Afternoon everyone. Just spent some time on the bike and wanted to change the oil on my 2016. Only had the bike 18 months and it’s out of warranty so was doing it myself.
It would seem that the last bugger who did the job over tightened the drain plug which was seized. Got it moving but the thread seems buggered and it now just spins (both anti-clockwise and clockwise). It’s not leaking but I cannot get it out.

Any thoughts please? I either need to get the plug out by some means or replace the whole sump case.
It’s been a while since your original post so I’m checking to see how you did. How’d you solve your
Dilemma ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
update - sump plug finally out this morning after two hours graft!. oil dropped, sump threads cleaned, re-cut and threaded, helicoil inserted, new drain plug and crush washer, new filter and oil so job should be squared.

The bolt was so tight that the engineer that released it for me said he had seen nothing like it on a bike before. Everyone make sure that you follow correct torque settings !

I was so pleased that the problem was resolved that I gave him £150 for a £90 job - and he travelled to me. Fantastic service from an old guy who knew exactly what he was doing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
update - sump plug finally out this morning after two hours graft!. dropped, sump threads cleaned, re-cut and threaded, helicoil inserted, new drain plug and crush washer, new filter and oil so job should be squared.

The bolt was so tight that the engineer that released it for me said he had seen nothing like it on a bike before. Everyone make sure that you follow correct torque settings !

I was so pleased that the problem was resolved that I gave him £150 for a £90 job - and he travelled to me. Fantastic service from an old guy who knew exactly what he was doing.
Nice gesture Joe, a job well done deserves a good pat on the back. Glad that’s now out of the way. I’d guess you’ve got some riding to do. Thanks for the tip. I’ve been putting off the purchase of a good spanner with a click, no more. I’m off to the tool house. Blitz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts