BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice this? I've noticed it twice before, once back in February and once last month. When I put the new cap on back in December I used the new O ring that came with it. Any reason why this happens? High oil pressure? High oil temps?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
How long after your last oil change? Just wondering if some oil was sitting in the threads when you filled it, and just the small amount is what is dripping? That happened to me once with the stock cap. Wiped it off with a rag and never came back. Figure I was just a bit sloppy when filling the oil.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long after your last oil change? Just wondering if some oil was sitting in the threads when you filled it, and just the small amount is what is dripping? That happened to me once with the stock cap. Wiped it off with a rag and never came back. Figure I was just a bit sloppy when filling the oil.

Changed my oil 900mi/3months ago, and I also haven't had to add oil since.
I didn't think much of it either the first time it happened, but now this is the third time.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Maybe try putting the stock cap back in and see if it stops the problem? Think that would be the easiest way to rule out if it is a faulty cap.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Maybe try putting the stock cap back in and see if it stops the problem? Think that would be the easiest way to rule out if it is a faulty cap.

I'd also throw a new rubber gasket on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone else notice this issue? I just noticed on my 2018, oil seems to be leaking from the filler cap and a thin film dribbling down the back of the cover. Reminds me of scientific evidence of superfluid helium climbing up the walls of its container.

A day or two after my 2-yr service a few weeks ago (around 8k miles on the clock), I went for a 200 mile day trip and noticed the slight glass was low the following day (after letting the bike wait 5 minutes on level ground per owners manual), so I opened up the cap and was surprised by how tightly it was torqued, which I thought was a no-no, but when I screwed it back on, I tried to match the torque (by hand, not with my torque wrench), upon some googling for "oil cap camhead" I found someone saying that over-tightening the cap will cause seepage.

Didn't see any other threads on the subject here. Hope this helps (and hope it is all I need to do for my situation, currently sitting in my office and can't check yet).

Anyone know what size o-ring to buy if I go to a hardware store, or do I need to go to the dealer? I'm weary of the cost. BMW does not have a very good negotiators with their buying dept.

·
Registered
93 Posts
mine weeped when i first brought it home from the dealer. the trick i found was to tighten the cap when the engine was cold, since the threads wouldn't be as tight and it allows you to tighten it all the way. using the tool kit key (the screw driver handle and crescent wrench), if you're careful its hard to over tighten it. hasn't leaked/weeped since.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone else notice this issue? I just noticed on my 2018, oil seems to be leaking from the filler cap and a thin film dribbling down the back of the cover. Reminds me of scientific evidence of superfluid helium climbing up the walls of its container.

A day or two after my 2-yr service a few weeks ago (around 8k miles on the clock), I went for a 200 mile day trip and noticed the slight glass was low the following day (after letting the bike wait 5 minutes on level ground per owners manual), so I opened up the cap and was surprised by how tightly it was torqued, which I thought was a no-no, but when I screwed it back on, I tried to match the torque (by hand, not with my torque wrench), upon some googling for "oil cap camhead" I found someone saying that over-tightening the cap will cause seepage.

Didn't see any other threads on the subject here. Hope this helps (and hope it is all I need to do for my situation, currently sitting in my office and can't check yet).

Anyone know what size o-ring to buy if I go to a hardware store, or do I need to go to the dealer? I'm weary of the cost. BMW does not have a very good negotiators with their buying dept.
Mines been doing this recently, no matter how much I tighten it or loosen it. It's been happening since I last had to top up the oil so I must have damaged the o-ring (although it looks fine).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Seems to be pretty common on these boxers.
I notice it more on the RT especially when she gets really hot, but also on the 9T from time to time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just ordered the replacement cap so I'll keep an eye on it, did notice how tight the stock plastic cap was when I opened it the other day. I've had an aftermarket cap on my R1100S for years and no seepage there, it doesn't sit as tight as this one, actually the way it's constructed I can't overtighten it.

I do all my services myself and usually add a little less oil than the book says, keep it under the recommended, over filling isn't good for any engine.
Oil heads burn oil that's nothing new, so a top up now n then isn't uncommon.
Good to know, excessive oil is thrown in to the airbox and then sucked back in to the cylinders and burnt off. Although I've not looked for it on this bike there's usually a rubber drain cap on one of the corners of the airbox, I usually check it when cleaning the air filter every 10000km

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never tighten the cap past finger tight to where I can unscrew without the little plastic tool that comes with the bike. Don't even know what I did with it! If you find that you need to use the tool after engine heats up, your tightening it too much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If a fill cap has an O ring on it, clean the O ring and groove it sits in, smear the O ring with wheel bearing grease and refit. Always makes a difference on my ageing 1150.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts