BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought recently a Oil Temperature Gauge and fitted it on to the right side engine casing replacing the stock cover provided by BMW.

I bought this from A J Cycles in New York and received them in just 5 days to the U.K. Very easy to do business with where you are in the world.

Its a simple screw in to the engine cyclinder and it does its job well.
("it does what it says on the tin" !! ) - allows you to see at a glance what the engine is up to.

I choose the Centigrade option but it is also available in Fahrenheit .

Here is a picture of the gauge in place. For info I did choose the Silver option but you can also purchase it in Black.

Is it essential - of course not.
However for me its more than just a pretty add on to the bike as it gives me information that is useful.

On an interesting note I recently attended the Custom Bike show in London last week - "Bike Shed" and it was interesting to see on several BMW Boxer custom bikes a Oil Temperature Gauge on the bikes.

Here are a couple of shots showing the gauge in place on these bikes

Hope you like the pictures
Alan

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Just be careful as these can easily be tampered with or stolen

·
Registered
596 Posts
Doing the gentlemans ride yesterday, my oil gauge was peg to 110c - 120c for a good 30-60mins. It was slow riding in 2nd and 3rd gear riding, with no more that 50km/h top speed. Glad the Amsoil held up as the bike didn't skip a beat. No stumbling or pinging from the engine. As soon as there is airflow like riding on the harbour bridge the temperature drop back to about 80c.

How accurate is the screw in oil gauge? I don't know but its better than not having one at all I suppose.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Doing the gentlemans ride yesterday, my oil gauge was peg to 110c - 120c for a good 30-60mins. It was slow riding in 2nd and 3rd gear riding, with no more that 50km/h top speed. Glad the Amsoil held up as the bike didn't skip a beat. No stumbling or pinging from the engine. As soon as there is airflow like riding on the harbour bridge the temperature drop back to about 80c.

How accurate is the screw in oil gauge? I don't know but its better than not having one at all I suppose.
There is no oil in the valve cover though, just a splashing over the valves. IMO it is really measuring air temp inside the engine, not oil. Agree that it provides an indication of temps, but I'd be nervous leaving my bike parked on the street with this gauge which is basically a magnet for saying "Please tamper with me"

For me an oil temp gauge is more useful to knowing when the engine is hot enough to thrash. The R1200 engines are not prone to overheat. I have ridden GS's in extreme 45 deg heat in Strzelecki desert with hard engine work in sand and never showed any signs of overheating.

·
Registered
596 Posts
There is no oil in the valve cover though, just a splashing over the valves. IMO it is really measuring air temp inside the engine, not oil. Agree that it provides an indication of temps, but I'd be nervous leaving my bike parked on the street with this gauge which is basically a magnet for saying "Please tamper with me"

For me an oil temp gauge is more useful to knowing when the engine is hot enough to thrash. The R1200 engines are not prone to overheat. I have ridden GS's in extreme 45 deg heat in Strzelecki desert with hard engine work in sand and never showed any signs of overheating.
That's good to know. I suppose if there is oil flowing in the motor, the engine can handle quite a beating.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Accuracy has always been a concern.
And it should be. The oil temps 99% use for reference are the temp of the oil in the sump or oil tank with dry sump systems. Naturally BMW puts their temp sensor in an oddball place so you see "shockingly" high temps displayed by the R9Ts that show oil temp. There's a thread about this. Not sure how the filler cap gauge readings will compare. You're not really reading oil temps or metal (head) temps.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I was under the impression that the BMW gauge showed engine temp and not oil.
How do you define that on an air cooled engine? We usually measure oil temps, in the sump or oil tank. We measure coolant temps on liquid cooled engines. On air cooled two strokes we ran thermocouples that replaced the spark plug gasket to monitor cylinder head temps. I'm not really sure what BMW is measuring. Anybody know?

·
Registered
419 Posts

80c? On my dial, while riding at 100km/h in 0-5c temperature, it was indicating 94-96c...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I already have one of these fitted...........and the sensor for the gauge is placed such that it gets constantly coated in a stream of oil being thrown directly off the camchain, so it is in effect reading the oil temp.

How accurate it actually is though, I can't say. Here in the UK (where obviously weather temps are much lower than say the U.S or Australia) the highest I've seen it read is about 95C....and that was in the height of our 'summer' (I use that word loosely!!) during a spirited thrash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil Temperature Gauge from Ebay

Has anyone used this oil temperature gauge from Ebay?

It is $60, wondering if works and is safe.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not from E-Bay but had an identical unit from Ali Express.

Think quite a few members have them, didn't work well for me the response time was exceedingly slow and I removed it.

I find my pressure gauge more useful in judging when the engine is starting to overheat, or just use the dash to check engine temp.

Did make adding oil easier.

Just personal experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts