BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
This item doesn't look trustful! And while measuring at the head, it does not display the correct temp in the sump.
What means it shows a higher temp than there really is.
Maybe a pressure gauge could be more useful - but who cares 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Has anyone used this oil temperature gauge from Ebay?

It is $60, wondering if works and is safe.
Not from E-Bay but had an identical unit from Ali Express.

Think quite a few members have them, didn't work well for me the response time was exceedingly slow and I removed it.

I find my pressure gauge more useful in judging when the engine is starting to overheat, or just use the dash to check engine temp.

Did make adding oil easier.

Just personal experience.
I am using the same gauge as you have. Not sure about the one on E-Bay but the one weegie is using is the same as I have. Before putting it on the motorbike I did give it a test and it only off 1 * at H2O boiling point. I use it to do comparisons in temps and how I ride (like traffic) but do remember that it isn't really immersed in the oil so should not be considered an absolute just a comparison. Does make adding oil a wee bit easier and kind of looks cool.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
Thank you guys, I just bough this bike and try to make sure I don't over heat it!
There is at least one thread (and probably several) on the forum regarding safe vs. extreme operating temperatures. The only time you might need to be concerned is if you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic for a long time on a hot day. Even then, if you can pull off to the side of the road and turn off the bike for a few minutes the engine will cool down quickly.

Also, I would trust the bike's temperature gauge way more than that little device.

Here's an example of one of the 'overheating' threads:

Personally, I've been stuck in traffic like this a couple times, including just recently on a local expressway. That evening I think I saw a temp of up to 260 (F) and the bike was still running just fine. When it was around 250 I turned the engine off and on a couple times to let it cool a bit. I escaped the traffic soon after by riding the wrong way up an empty on-ramp. (A few cars/SUVs did it before me.) NOT recommended but understandable, otherwise I might still be sitting there! ;)

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,765 Posts
Thank you guys, I just bough this bike and try to make sure I don't over heat it!
These bikes are pretty hearty.
I wouldn't worry so much about overheating the bike. In my opinion, if you put a oil temperature gauge in the oil, fill cap you'll find yourself looking at it all the time and worrying about nothing. Seems to be just another distraction. If there was a true need for a oil temperature gauge the bike would have one.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have one of these from ebay, but mine's in Centigrade not Fahrenheit.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm not that bothered as the summer temps here in the UK get nowhere near as high as sunnier parts of the world, so I'm not worried about the motor overheating. I've had it 6 or 7 years with no issues whatsoever.

Does look trick though, and makes oil changes/top-ups easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't have the tachometer with the temperature, I only see bars on mine, I guess this can be chnaged?

There is at least one thread (and probably several) on the forum regarding safe vs. extreme operating temperatures. The only time you might need to be concerned is if you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic for a long time on a hot day. Even then, if you can pull off to the side of the road and turn off the bike for a few minutes the engine will cool down quickly.

Also, I would trust the bike's temperature gauge way more than that little device.

Here's an example of one of the 'overheating' threads:

Personally, I've been stuck in traffic like this a couple times, including just recently on a local expressway. That evening I think I saw a temp of up to 260 (F) and the bike was still running just fine. When it was around 250 I turned the engine off and on a couple times to let it cool a bit. I escaped the traffic soon after by riding the wrong way up an empty on-ramp. (A few cars/SUVs did it before me.) NOT recommended but understandable, otherwise I might still be sitting there! ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a digital temperature gauge. The sensor is located in a blind hole in the crankcase. The operating temperature is about 50 degrees Celsius above the ambient temperature when driving at normal speed.
When I drive at walking pace, my maximum recorded temperature is 110 degrees Celsius. (crankcase temp, not at the oil thermostat, whichever is higher)
Speedometer Plant White Light Odometer
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

21 - 32 of 32 Posts