BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is such a small niche question, but thought I'd add it to the archives.. Just received my Option 719 storm engine cover. Looks and feels great, however it's missing the "OPTION 719" icon under the BMW logo. I'm not a stickler that I'd return it just for that... I'm more concerned that it's counterfeit? Ordered via Sierra BMW and just shot them an email. Seeing if this is an issue for anyone else... and hell, if it's authentic then I think it's cool to have a flawed part.

·
Banned
424 Posts
I realize this is such a small niche question, but thought I'd add it to the archives.. Just received my Option 719 storm engine cover. Looks and feels great, however it's missing the "OPTION 719" icon under the BMW logo. I'm not a stickler that I'd return it just for that... I'm more concerned that it's counterfeit? Ordered via Sierra BMW and just shot them an email. Seeing if this is an issue for anyone else... and hell, if it's authentic then I think it's cool to have a flawed part. View attachment 140314
I think its a fair point.
Exchange it.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
169 Posts
I realize this is such a small niche question, but thought I'd add it to the archives.. Just received my Option 719 storm engine cover. Looks and feels great, however it's missing the "OPTION 719" icon under the BMW logo. I'm not a stickler that I'd return it just for that... I'm more concerned that it's counterfeit? Ordered via Sierra BMW and just shot them an email. Seeing if this is an issue for anyone else... and hell, if it's authentic then I think it's cool to have a flawed part.
Might be something to do with camera angle / lighting however the roundel looks like it is missing a few engravings as well (i.e. BMW script and hatched patterns on the diagonals). This looks to be a defective product; were I in your shoes I'd look for a replacement.

EDIT: The following post from this forum shows one installed in the flesh; the text should definitely be there
The NineT Owners Bike's Photo Thread

Reactions: Zoomer7

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd be straight back to the shop and ask for a reduction/ refund on the cost as the item is faulty.

Heck, the price they charge it should be perfect!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be something to do with camera angle / lighting however the roundel looks like it is missing a few engravings as well (i.e. BMW script and hatched patterns on the diagonals). This looks to be a defective product; were I in your shoes I'd look for a replacement.

EDIT: The following post from this forum shows one installed in the flesh; the text should definitely be there
The NineT Owners Bike's Photo Thread
You're not wrong. The smooth outside ring of the BMW logo doesn't have the engraved look to it similar to the box photo. Honestly I'd think it's cool if it's an overlook from the manufacturer, I'm just trying to get in writing that it's a genuine part... considering it cost, ya know, $800.

Sierra did promptly inform me before getting the part that a new batch were being produced. Wondering if the 2nd run had less detail engraved in them.

Thanks for chiming in!

·
Banned
424 Posts
You're not wrong. The smooth outside ring of the BMW logo doesn't have the engraved look to it similar to the box photo. Honestly I'd think it's cool if it's an overlook from the manufacturer, I'm just trying to get in writing that it's a genuine part... considering it cost, ya know, $800.

Sierra did promptly inform me before getting the part that a new batch were being produced. Wondering if the 2nd run had less detail engraved in them.

Thanks for chiming in!

View attachment 140336
Following this with interest.
Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From Sierra:
"I can assure you this item is 100% genuine BMW Original. We would never dream of selling knock-off or counterfeit parts - in fact, we do everything possible to protect the BMW brand... That is absolutely from BMW, received from them for you specifically on the 3rd. As far as the logo, that is odd, I've written BMW on it and we'll see if we get anywhere. Thank you."

Will update with final word when received.

·
Banned
424 Posts
From Sierra:
"I can assure you this item is 100% genuine BMW Original. We would never dream of selling knock-off or counterfeit parts - in fact, we do everything possible to protect the BMW brand... That is absolutely from BMW, received from them for you specifically on the 3rd. As far as the logo, that is odd, I've written BMW on it and we'll see if we get anywhere. Thank you."

Will update with final word when received.
Yeah I think you may have rubbed them up the wrong way by saying you were worried it may be counterfeit.
That really wasn't a wise thing to do.
You need them on your side, and making suggestions like that doesn't win you allies.
You've effectively called into question their honesty and integrity and I don't blame them for giving you a sharp response.
Bad move

·
Registered
2014 BMW R Nine T classic
58 Posts
I agree that it looks better. The worst part about 719 is the text telling you it’s 719. I mean, the machining looks great, but arbitrary text that doesn’t have any real significance cheapens the products for me.

They should charge more for this version. J/K, they’re about 50% too high as it is or about 75% too high if you factor in the RSD- branded machined line that’s on sale.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree that it looks better. The worst part about 719 is the text telling you it’s 719. I mean, the machining looks great, but arbitrary text that doesn’t have any real significance cheapens the products for me.

They should charge more for this version. J/K, they’re about 50% too high as it is or about 75% too high if you factor in the RSD- branded machined line that’s on sale.
This shows how different we all are, I'm the complete opposite about the looks. I agree that the price is too high though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
"That is absolutely from BMW, received from them for you specifically. As far as the logo, that is odd, I've written BMW on it and we'll see if we get anywhere. Thank you."

I have word that it's legit. So that's good. Odd that it's missing the engraving. I'll sport it knowing it's a misprint. Looks great either way. I'll post pics when it's finally installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"That is absolutely from BMW, received from them for you specifically. As far as the logo, that is odd, I've written BMW on it and we'll see if we get anywhere. Thank you."

I have word that it's legit. So that's good. Odd that it's missing the engraving. I'll sport it knowing it's a misprint. Looks great wither way. I'll post pics when it's finally installed.
Looking forward to see the final result after installed. Btw, you have just ordered the engine cover only ? how about the valve cover, did you change those as well with the 719 option ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Btw, you have just ordered the engine cover only ? how about the valve cover, did you change those as well with the 719 option ?
Only the belt cover. I personally like the stock valve covers. Just piecing it together a la carte. Going minimal without taking out a blowtorch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts