BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to travel for work and they approved me driving my own vehicle instead of flying and renting a car for 3 months. This allowed me to plan out 5 days of camping along the Pacific Coast Highway from Poulsbo, WA where I live to Ventura, CA. The first day was a chance to book it down the coast and get as far as I could to allow for more time to enjoy southern Oregon and California.

Leaving the house, I was over packed, I brought too much on the trip from the start.

I arrived at the Columbia River looking out across to Oregon after just 3.5 hours on the road just in time for a quick lunch stop. Then I booked it down the 101 stopping by the Tillamook Cheese Factory to pick up some cheese curds, and stopped to have some coffee with a friend.

I had to stop and catch a shot of the incredible sunset on the beach!

After an afternoon of visiting, I cruised on down to Cape Perpetua, OR where I camped for the night and only having one good tree at the site, I had to improvise to get my hammock to work. The bike worked great in 1st gear, propped up against the cement curb to allow my Hennessy Hammock to hang properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Day 2

I got up early, and hit the road hungry hoping to find a cafe somewhere along the road as the freeze dried breakfasts I brought were not edible. I found some nice views before I got to the next town. The coast along here is just incredible, rocks, blow holes, and wild water works.

I stopped just before dropping down into the sand dunes in Florence, OR where I found a cafe to grab breakfast. The view from this spot just made my morning perfect.

The Prehistoric Gardens are located in Southern Oregon and I couldn't resist stopping in to hang out with this cool T-Rex.

Then I entered California and quickly cruised into the Redwood National/State Park where I had the chance to stop and catch a photo of how huge those trees are even along the road. This was just before I stopped and camped at the Elk Prairie Campground.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
WOW I am soooo jealous! The PCH is still on my bucket list. Almost got to do it 2 years ago but I ended up snapping my left knee patellar tendon so that put pay to that. Hopefully I'll do it in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the opportunity to travel for work and they approved me driving my own vehicle instead of flying and renting a car for 3 months. This allowed me to plan out 5 days of camping along the Pacific Coast Highway from Poulsbo, WA where I live to Ventura, CA. The first day was a chance to book it down the coast and get as far as I could to allow for more time to enjoy southern Oregon and California.

Leaving the house, I was over packed, I brought too much on the trip from the start.

I arrived at the Columbia River looking out across to Oregon after just 3.5 hours on the road just in time for a quick lunch stop. Then I booked it down the 101 stopping by the Tillamook Cheese Factory to pick up some cheese curds, and stopped to have some coffee with a friend.

I had to stop and catch a shot of the incredible sunset on the beach!

After an afternoon of visiting, I cruised on down to Cape Perpetua, OR where I camped for the night and only having one good tree at the site, I had to improvise to get my hammock to work. The bike worked great in 1st gear, propped up against the cement curb to allow my Hennessy Hammock to hang properly.
Love it. Jealous. Last time I was over there did the PCH in a mustang like a fully paid up tourist Douche - next time, definitely 2 wheels. Nice work on the hammock solution :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Apparently the limit is 60 minutes to edit a post and I was in the middle of editing Day 3 when time ran out. BaldyDave, is there any way to add this post below to the Day 3 Above? If not, here is Day 3.

Day 3

I woke up early, a couple hours before dawn per my usual sleep schedule and hit the road south to Arcata, CA where I found coffee and breakfast. Then I found the turn off for HWY 1 where there was a spot to ride thru a tree and take photos so I had to stop.

The next 28 miles or so were just tight corner after tight corner. So many tight corners that I quickly wore off the last of my chicken strips on the new Metzeler Karoo Streets I installed before I left town.

Along the coast was an area I had no idea existed, out there was the Point Arena Lighthouse. The views were hazy, the day was cloudy but rain free.

After finding out how bad the traffic is near San Francisco, I didn't stop to take any photos of the Golden Gate Bridge as there was a motorcycle accident right on the bridge so I continued on thinking about how dangerous it is being in big city traffic. I pushed on South where I found out that after 480 miles in the saddle over 14 hours on the road for the day, I desperately needed to get of the bike. I've learned the hard way that 400 miles is the max I'll ever ride on my R9T in a single day.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if this post can be inserted into the one above called Day 4 or not due to the 60 minute time limit for editing posts.

Day 4

I slept in after such a long day 3. Finally got on the road at about 11:00AM and headed south toward Big Sur. Now, this is where I found a large number of tourists, lines after lines of cars and RV's using every pullout along the coastline.

Once I got past all of the fancy campgrounds and resorts, I made it into an area of National Forest where I had been told there was a dirt forest service road with free camping. I found the little road, narrow, winding up the cliffs into the clouds. It was sunny and warm at the bottom, but cloudy/foggy and cool up on the cliffs. I scrambled through the rough road, where the signs said 4WD only and some sections appeared like Jeep Off-road Trails. I found a spot to camp just off the road and set up my hammock for an evening meal. I didn't have a fire permit here so I had to rely on my sleeping bag for warmth while cooking dinner in my Jetboil Flash. The fog rolled in thick, so much that I could hardly see 20 ft away.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day 5

I woke up bright and early at 4:00AM, crawled out of my hammock a bit chilled, packed up camp and prepared to hit the road. There was so much moisture in the air that I couldn't get my bike to start up. Had plenty of power, it would fire up, but wouldn't idle at all. After a few tries, holding the throttle open, she finally ran. So I hit the road and scrambled down the mountain trying my best to stay away from the cliffs, not a place to go for those with a fear of heights.

Once I got down to the coastline, I headed south until I found a gas station, I was running on fumes but had to wait 30 minutes for a gas station to open. Then I booked it south and found a coffee shop to warm up at and got some breakfast. 2 hours later I arrived in Ventura, CA where I'll be for the next 3 months.

I'll post more in this thread of my travels around southern California including places like Big Bear, Joshue Tree National Park, Death Valley, and Yosemite National Park. I will be spending 4 days traveling home at the end of July going through Yosemite, South Lake Tahoe, Lassen Volcanic National Park, and Crater Lake.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
PCH is one of the best rides in the US. I did it a couple years ago on modified 1978 Sears Free Spirit pictured below. It was a race called the Pinball Run, we did it in 7 days from Seattle to San Diego. Would love to do it again on something better suited for the roads, speeds, and distances involved.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,106 Posts
:coolpics: Thanks for sharing!

That looks like a well organised luggage setup, anything you would change?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:coolpics: Thanks for sharing!

That looks like a well organised luggage setup, anything you would change?

Two things I can think of that I would change, I would have added panniers, maybe with the same cases as the one on the rear rack to keep the weight lower, and I would have spent the money I put into the exhaust on a Wilbers 30mm raised rear shock with a stiffer spring rate to handle all the extra weight.

In all honesty here, I would really have gone back in time and bought that R1200GS Rallye that I almost chose when I bought this bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
In all honesty here, I would really have gone back in time and bought that R1200GS Rallye that I almost chose when I bought this bike.
Caught myself drooling over one of these at BMW SF last weekend. Good looking bike and definitely more suited to this ride. But it sounds like you had a blast on the Scrambler. Bummed we didn't get to meet up but glad you posted all these summaries & pics. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great post... Fun to follow and great pics! Making me excited to head to Montana this summer... on the first non sport touring bike I've had in over a decade. Thanks for taking the time. I hope I'll be able to post daily.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I was in California last week..
I did the roadtrip with my wife
Pacific Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
About 12 hours driving in a rented Mustang GT Cabriolet.
All this trip i was thinking about 3 things:

- I love my wife
- HWY 1 has one of the most impressive scenery I saw in my life
- I wish I did the trip with my R9T

That trip was awesome.
Im pretty sure you had a blast.
I envy you.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great posts - thanks for sharing.
The California coast is very special. It has to be one of the best places on Earth to ride.
I hope you have had the opportunity to ride some of the great roads in SoCal - HWY33, HWY58, Lockwood Valley, Hudson Ranch, etc, etc.

RobertVP

Reactions: speedm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great posts - thanks for sharing.
The California coast is very special. It has to be one of the best places on Earth to ride.
I hope you have had the opportunity to ride some of the great roads in SoCal - HWY33, HWY58, Lockwood Valley, Hudson Ranch, etc, etc.

RobertVP
33/58 are my favorites as well, so under the radar.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been down here in SoCal for almost 3 months now and I've ridden every road with curves on it between Santa Barbara and San Diego and out to Death Valley, the Mojave National Preserve, and Joshua Tree National Park. I even had a run in with Jay Leno which I caught on my GoPro. He pulled up next to us (Group of R9Ts) on our way out for a ride a couple of weeks ago.

I'm heading back North next week through the Sierra Nevada's hitting up the Trail of 100 Giants, Yosemite National Park, South Lake Tahoe, Crater Lake National Park, and Toketee Falls in Oregon on HWY 138. Then I'll be booking it up the 5 home because I've already explored most of Washington.

Attached are a couple of photos of my trip down here so far. Heading out to Death Valley, Camping at the Mahogany Flats Campground, Camping in the Mojave National Preserve, and visiting Joshua Tree National Park, Johnson Valley OHV Park, and going for a ride in the desert off-road with another BMW Scrambler and a Ducati Scrambler.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,416 Posts
Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing. Thank God for work travel.

I'm glad I scrolled though all 34 pictures instead on clicking on just the 6 thumbnails that are in your post.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts