BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1317 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The BMW tank/tail bag combo is exactly as I expected and I'm very happy with it. For my touring and daily needs, they will work perfectly.

Unfortunately, the GF seems to like the bike and being on it, so now I'm looking for saddlebags. I thought briefly about fab'ing a simple rear luggage rack, but with the huge selection of soft saddlebags available, I decided it wasn't really worth the effort for the 2% of the time she'd be on the bike with me.

I really wanted something simple. I looked for canvas to match the tank/tail bag, but really wasn't seeing anything I liked. I just wanted a no frills, soft saddlebag that was relatively waterproof and wouldn't uggo up the bike. Unfortunately, the bulk of the bags available are either too sporty, too adventure-y, or too cruiser swag for the R NineT. I finally found these, and think they will work very well:

SaddlePacks by Rev-Pack

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I like the looks of those, very fitting look for the ninet. I looked at the specs, the price is great too, but they don't say they are 100% waterproof, just "The bags are reinforced with an extra piece of material on the back so that no stitching need go through the body of the bags, making them more weatherproof, and help guard against abrasion." I'd be interested to know what that means exactly, or see more details on how the bags close. It kind of looks like it's a roll top closure with the flap that goes over the top, but hard to tell from the one product photo.

While for me I'm happy with the choices I already have for southwestern US rides, the Wolfman E-12's are not waterproof and while my sleeping bag is in a waterproof compression bag and is waterproof down, for a long ride where I'll undoubtably be riding in rain I'll want something 100% waterproof.
I've borrowed a friends pair of these Ortlieb's in the past and have been considering them as viable long haul packing solution, but will be interested to hear what you think of those Rev-Pack bags.

View the MOTO SADDLE-BAGS (PAIR) at http://www.ortliebusa.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
While for me I'm happy with the choices I already have for southwestern US rides, the Wolfman E-12's are not waterproof and while my sleeping bag is in a waterproof compression bag and is waterproof down, for a long ride where I'll undoubtably be riding in rain I'll want something 100% waterproof.
I've borrowed a friends pair of these Ortlieb's in the past and have been considering them as viable long haul packing solution, but will be interested to hear what you think of those Rev-Pack bags.

@Lost Rider, do you know if the subframe on the 9T will be sufficient to use these bags? I'm wondering if something would need to be installed to keep them from the pipes, etc, or if they can just be put on/taken off without any other modifcation.

--merrmich

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I think they will fit, but that's just a theory...
The specs on the ortlieb's say they are 12" tall, I think if you leave the pillion seat on to keep them higher and move them forward as much as possible then they would clear the exhaust.
Since the passenger footrests are what keeps the bags I've used from flopping into the wheel, I'm not sure if it will be possible to use bags like this with a passenger. If you move the bags back far enough for a passenger there will be nothing to support the bottom of it and you might be into the tip of the exhaust. There's just not anything to support bags underneath and behind the pillion seat. I think the ortleibs would need to be halfway under my butt, giving me feet room, but as far forward as possible.
I removed the actual footrests off the frame, my bags sit right where a passengers foot would go, the small wire guard that keeps a passenger foot away from the wheel/swingarm is what supports my bags.

Before I had the bike I thought I might need to have a curved bar welded to the passenger subframe to support soft bags, seems like it would be easy enough to do, though things seems to be working out without it for now.
Something like this, though for a passenger a larger loop going further back would be needed IMHO.

Maybe Karamazov is seeing something I'm not and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Maybe Karamazov is seeing something I'm not and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
For $150 bucks, I'm willing to experiment. I considered the peg blocking. These seem shallow enough, but I won't really know until I can mount them. If they don't work, I'll keep them for camping gear on solo trips and just make a simple luggage rack and surrender the tail bag to her. I'm also willing to consider some basic, removable pegs that can just be clamped onto the frame further forward. I hadn't explored that much, but I figure there's something like that available, or I can just go to the hardware store and wing it.

The support issue isn't something I was too worried about. There's a strap extending from the front/lower portion of the unit that can be secured to the frame at any point to keep it from swinging. If that wasn't sufficient, I think a very basic L bracket could be made to secure under the seat, extending out an inch or two and down four or five. I'm not really in need of a permanent solution like a welded addition to the frame, since I really wouldn't be using these much solo. I don't mind taking 10 extra minutes to prep the luggage on the bike for the odd weekend with a pillion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What a luggage set up, Finn. Absolutely brilliant. Not absolutely wild about the little box perching on the tank, but I love the rear box, and those very clever side bags. Top man!

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's good news, thanks for sharing.
I've never used H&B bags but was very happy with some crash bars on my 800GS from them.
In that link you provided is says they will have a C-Bow carrier mount for the ninet, that could work well is seems.

Hepco Becker - C-Bow Carrier

·
Registered
114 Posts
No Givi bags for the R Nine T

In my search for some decent gear to pack up the Nine T for long hauls, I contacted Givi to see if and when they would be coming out with brackets to fit. They replied they weren't. Doesn't mean something can't be cobbled up to fit their bags, but it is a little disappointing. Here are their exact words:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting GIVI USA. We appreciate the interest you have shown in our products. Unfortunately, at this time there are no plans to cover for this model.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Best regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GIVI USA

[/FONT]

If anybody has come up with a slick way to carry panniers yet, I would love to see it. Right now, I'm thinking a custom rear subframe is going to have to be the route.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
In my search for some decent gear to pack up the Nine T for long hauls, I contacted Givi to see if and when they would be coming out with brackets to fit. They replied they weren't. Doesn't mean something can't be cobbled up to fit their bags, but it is a little disappointing. Here are their exact words:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting GIVI USA. We appreciate the interest you have shown in our products. Unfortunately, at this time there are no plans to cover for this model.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]GIVI USA

[/FONT]

If anybody has come up with a slick way to carry panniers yet, I would love to see it. Right now, I'm thinking a custom rear subframe is going to have to be the route.

Chris
Heyya Chris, you may wanna check out this thread - all about luggage:

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/accessories-gear/49530-packing-up-ninet-thread.html

Hepco Becker is coming out with a luggage rack line soon, and there are C Bow side mounts available next month.

http://www.motomachines.com/search.asp?keyword=r+ninet&search.x=0&search.y=0

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey! Yeah, I was following that thread, but it seems to have stalled out. I was kind of hoping to jump start the discussion. The Hepco Becker bags and C mount do seem to be the best retail option. I don't even have my bike yet to look into having a custom rear sub frame fabricated. Picking it up on the 10th, the wait is killing me! Everybody on this forum knows what I'm talking about.

I thought maybe these looked like a viable temporary solution as well, though I'm not sure why they cost $700.

Siskiyou Panniers

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey! Yeah, I was following that thread, but it seems to have stalled out. I was kind of hoping to jump start the discussion. The Hepco Becker bags and C mount do seem to be the best retail option. I don't even have my bike yet to look into having a custom rear sub frame fabricated. Picking it up on the 10th, the wait is killing me! Everybody on this forum knows what I'm talking about.

I thought maybe these looked like a viable temporary solution as well, though I'm not sure why they cost $700.

Siskiyou Panniers
Nice!

Not a bad range of bikes it can fit on, just about anything that supports a passenger:

• BMW: GS models, etc.
• KTM: Adventure models, etc.
• Honda: XR650L (w/passenger pegs), TransAlp, etc.
• Suzuki: V-Strom, DR650, etc.
• Yamaha: Super Tenere, most other models (w/passenger pegs)
• Kawasaki: KLR 650, Versys, etc.
• Ducati: MultiStrada, etc.
• Husqvarna: TE/TR models, etc.
• Triumph: Tiger, Explorer, etc.
• AND JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER BIKE DESIGNED TO CARRY A PASSENGER

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GIVI USA

[/FONT]

Chris
Some good and various info completely related to the Packing Thread coming about, merged.
If anyone wants to start their own thread about a specific brand or topic, by all means do so, the rest will get merged with existing threads so we can keep things easy to find for all, for many years.
:)

And to add to it, after a whole lot of internet research and photoshop testing, I'm ordering these panniers for an upcoming trip. I hope to be fitting them next week and will post some photos. Based on what I've already done I believe bags this shape will fit the 9T well and have had good experiences with other Kriega gear. Bonus is these bags will work on any of our bikes. :)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-overlander-30-pannier-set

21 - 40 of 1317 Posts