BMW NineT Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1190 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
My new-to-me R9T arrives in Jan 20th. As a not-very-limber 80yo I have difficulty lifting my right leg up and over when mounting/ demounting most bikes: I hope the much lower seat on the R9T will minimise this problem. For the same reason I cannot place bags or any other luggage on the pillion seat when I want to take off for few days. I like the rear carry-rack on this bike pictured as it would remove this issue, since the load is carried far enough rearwards to give me clear room to clamber on and off the rider seat. I'd appreciate any info on source, product name, number, or description, and price. This seems the best option yet to deal with this problem of mine!

Thank you..

Lawrence WATSON - Redland Bay, SE Queensland, Oz
HI,

just because am short and middle age I have an issue lifting my leg etc. but this does bother it its far to the rear to be bothered

I went on FLEaBay and I just typed. Moose Racing top case

one person is selling them for $120.00 each top box and each side case, the rest are selling the same product for double the price ???? And yes the little Moto Machines "Mini Rack" looks great on. the bike naked and can handle this box.
its a a great little rear rack and I have drilled dozens of holes on it for various different projects but this one took 3 bolts and they even sell a adapter for it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long haul camping.

In addition to the HPCR 2300 and the Mojave bag, I'm adding a MEC 10L bag to the tail, secured with 1/2" adjustable ROK straps using the tie off point on the subframe and looping the straps back to each other on the rear end.
I also added an axe, tent poles and a tripod, all essential for me when camping - also secured with ROK straps + the built in straps on the Mojave bag.
Shown here is everything I need for an open ended camping spring summer fall adventure on the ninet, basically the same pack I use on my Husaberg minus the hard case. Winter camping will take a bit more space...

I like the 45-degree alignment of your side luggage. Keeps bike slim and less turbulences while doing high-speed hwy. And I always pack my carbon tripod with me. I might do a little bit different but overall this is a good setup. I live in Irvine, we can ride somehow someday.

·
Registered
231 Posts
HI,

just because am short and middle age I have an issue lifting my leg etc. but this does bother it its far to the rear to be bothered

I went on FLEaBay and I just typed. Moose Racing top case

one person is selling them for $120.00 each top box and each side case, the rest are selling the same product for double the price ???? And yes the little Moto Machines "Mini Rack" looks great on. the bike naked and can handle this box.
its a a great little rear rack and I have drilled dozens of holes on it for various different projects but this one took 3 bolts and they even sell a adapter for it

Thank you! I have been in touch with the manufacturers of well-known motorcycle luggage brand VENTURA. They sent me pix of the L-brackets B041/B and Evo Rack ER30/B fitted to an R9T. This is particularly interesting as I like the minimalistic approach, the rack itself being very quickly removeable from the bike when not in use. And the brackets disappear (almost) when fitted, thus keeping the style of the bike untouched. The Evo Rack can be rotated through 180 degrees so that the luggage faces the back of the bike and leaves the pillion seat uncovered, which means that even with my top-box fitted I'll be able to swing my leg over the two seats without any hindrance. Answer to a maiden's prayer! I'll post more pix when I have the bike and these parts fitted...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wondering if anyone installed SW-MOTECH SLC side racks with Hepco-Becker rear rack together. I have Hepco Becker rear rack installed. I saw they shared the same location of the bolt, I wished I can keep the bolt from either Hepco or SW-motech when I mount both systems.

Thanks View attachment 127959
I have :) I had them mounted in June 2019 prior to my trip to the French and Spanish Pyrenees.
Here are some pictures. My ride is very dirty because I use it to commute every day, and the weather these days in Belgium :) Ah well, I'll clean it in spring again.

At first, getting the bags to fit again seemed impossible, but there's a trick to fit them, There's actually a bit of flex on the bags and the connecting plate. So I start with the pin that's closest to the rear first, make sure the rest gets aligned and then - while holding down the release button - click it into place. To remove it, you actually have to pull it in a straight line towards the steering bar (About a 45 degrees angle.)

Thanks to the Hepco & Co rack, and some Touratech Rolltop waterproof sidebags, I was able to fit everything I needed. On the rack I used a Giant Loop Bag :)

I'll post some pictures later on.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm tired of having to remove soft cases in urban environments while on a trip. I think I'll be building this luggage scenario...
Never ride with a passenger (Sargent solo seat) .
This is with the 25L topcase and the 31L sidecases.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have :) I had them mounted in June 2019 prior to my trip to the French and Spanish Pyrenees.
Here are some pictures. My ride is very dirty because I use it to commute every day, and the weather these days in Belgium :) Ah well, I'll clean it in spring again.

View attachment 128539 View attachment 128540 View attachment 128541 View attachment 128542 View attachment 128543 View attachment 128544

At first, getting the bags to fit again seemed impossible, but there's a trick to fit them, There's actually a bit of flex on the bags and the connecting plate. So I start with the pin that's closest to the rear first, make sure the rest gets aligned and then - while holding down the release button - click it into place. To remove it, you actually have to pull it in a straight line towards the steering bar (About a 45 degrees angle.)

Thanks to the Hepco & Co rack, and some Touratech Rolltop waterproof sidebags, I was able to fit everything I needed. On the rack I used a Giant Loop Bag :)

I'll post some pictures later on.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers
Thanks! I think your picture answered my question well!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is my luggage set-up.

Givi Outback Trekker 37L Panniers. The givi mounting bracket had to be modified to attach to my Hepco and Becker luggage rack. The subframe also needed a little tab welded to attach.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve not ridden with it loaded yet but the genuine BMW S1000R tail bag that I had for my last bike seems to fit almost perfectly. The underside of the bag is shaped to sit on the S1000 seat which is different, but close enough to work a treat 👍🏻😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a set of Giant Loop pannier pockets as saddle bags on my Pure for a little commuter storage. Great for a set of gloves, disc lock, water bottles, rain jacket etc.
I keep a tire plug kit in there. They don’t interfere with the Roxstraps for my backpack on the pillion seat and gives enough storage for me for weekend trips.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok. Now I can go anywhere.... :)
...waiting for the topcase backrest and grab-handle. Gotta install the matching locks too.
3 feet of snow outside so I can’t get a better pic.

·
Registered
588 Posts
DIY option. 90 litres duffle bag approx 15-17kg, handled 5500km of twisties no problem. Had to add 12mm ply as the base flexed too much due to the weight of the bag and bumps on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 R NineT Scrambler
23 Posts
Here's my first addition to my new to me Scrambler. If you have the Unit Garage tank belt with rack, Harbor Freight has an Apache case that's a perfect fit.

Update- well that didn't last long, too close to my belly. Moved it to the tail rack.
20200301_135353~(1).jpg

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T 2014
4 Posts
Hi fellow nineT-ers! I'm brand new to this forum (and to biking for that part), and I was hoping to get some guidance or tips & tricks. I've scanned the entire thread without finding anyone with a similar problem, so here it goes:

Got my R nineT last year and now I'm planning some longer trips for this summer. Some of which will be with a passenger. I'm looking for a luggage option that offers space, is hassle free, good looking with or without the luggage on and all at a reasonable price (too much to ask?). My plan was getting side carrier bags for trips with the missus and an extra tail bag to throw on when going on solo trips. And a tank bag regardless of the trip really. Doing day trips I don't want the bike to be covered in racks or side carrier mounts that destroy the look of the bike, hence I've been mainly searching for saddlebags or easily removable carrier mounts.

I've been looking at the SW-Motech Blaze for some time, but then came across multiple people saying it makes the passenger seat uncomfortable and that you have to change the position of your indicators. However I like the volume of the bags and the removable support arm that it comes with. Will the bags make a 500km trip unbearable for a passenger? Also, I've got a sport tail conversion from Wunderlich which sets the indicators a few cm down compared to stock, will this mean the bag doesn't fit or does it block my indicators?

Another option is the Kriega Duo Saddlebags 36. I like the look and the size, but for this I need to get a pair of separately sold saddlebag supporters, right? Any ideas on reasonably priced, easily removable support arms?

A third option would of course be to get the sexy SW-Motech Legend gear LC1 and LC2. These will however, with the mountings, set me back €465 giving me just 23l of volume. For weekend trips with the missus I'm not so sure about that...

I'm beginning to think I'm just being too picky. After several days of searching everywhere for luggage there always seems to be something that's just not right with any option. I'd be very glad to hear what you guys have to say and at this point I welcome any suggestion on what to do. Please come to my rescue 😅

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know if this is a rescue, but may give some food for thought. I never carry a pillion, nor - these days - do I require more than an occasional and very small volume of luggage sufficient for, say, 3/ 4 days on the road. I also cannot carry stuff on the pillion seat, as it restricts ease of getting on and off for this 80yo oldie with creaky/ stiff hips and knees. My intended solution is to mount a rear carry-rack behind the pillion seat, onto which I can fit either a 28L top-box that I already have, or a soft bag.

Options I've looked at are the VENTURA brackets B041B, onto which mounts quickly and easily, and gives a nice clean look, their SR01/B small sports rack. The rack is easily removed, leaving only some short almost invisible vertical black-painted support arms. It also provides a grab-rail for your pillion.

Another option is the similar UNIT GARAGE flat rear rack, but it doesn't appear to have the removability of the Ventura set-up. It's also pretty costly.

On E Bay, under 'motorcycle parts and accessories' there are also several similar flat rear carry-racks to which you could strap or ocky a soft bag. I'd like to hear eventually of your own solution, as it may help me in my similar quest, which is now not urgent due to the c-v shut-down!

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T 2014
4 Posts
Thanks for your quick response @Lawrence of Suburbia, and I'm glad to hear you're still riding despite your stiff legs and knees!

I've haven't come across a fast-removable rack option before so this is absolutely interesting. A thing that might make this difficult for me though is the size. Ventura says it's designed for 10l bags, guessing it's the size and weight limitations that make that number. Since I'll be going with a passenger for some trips, I'm looking for 25-35l capacity. Also, Ventura does not seem to have a country distributor in Sweden.. I will search some more for similar racks from now on, there might be other alternatives that could suit my needs. E Bay might take a day or two to scan!

And I'll be sure to let you know how this all ends. Was happy to find there was a community this big for nineT owners!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for your quick response @Lawrence of Suburbia, and I'm glad to hear you're still riding despite your stiff legs and knees!

I've haven't come across a fast-removable rack option before so this is absolutely interesting. A thing that might make this difficult for me though is the size. Ventura says it's designed for 10l bags, guessing it's the size and weight limitations that make that number. Since I'll be going with a passenger for some trips, I'm looking for 25-35l capacity. Also, Ventura does not seem to have a country distributor in Sweden.. I will search some more for similar racks from now on, there might be other alternatives that could suit my needs. E Bay might take a day or two to scan!

And I'll be sure to let you know how this all ends. Was happy to find there was a community this big for nineT owners!

Understood, schubiee. My 28L top-box is a very light very cheap E-Bay product, but that does me perfectly well with about 6kg of all-up weight for a few days away. Were I to take my wife along that would barely be enough for make-up and hair-do stuff for her! I guess the crux of the matter is that the R9T is not really designed as a tourer or to carry much in the way of luggage accommodations.

1161 - 1180 of 1190 Posts