BMW NineT Forum banner

1181 - 1190 of 1190 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Understood, schubiee. My 28L top-box is a very light very cheap E-Bay product, but that does me perfectly well with about 6kg of all-up weight for a few days away. Were I to take my wife along that would barely be enough for make-up and hair-do stuff for her! I guess the crux of the matter is that the R9T is not really designed as a tourer or to carry much in the way of luggage accommodations.
I'd suggest the urban is an excellent solo tour bike but agree for two up its not the best choice. When I pack for a week or two includibd a usable tent that provides for more than basic condom protection, the bike starts getting a bit heavy in the back and I have to modify my mount and dismount technique. And I lose the joy of riding a light spirited bike. Had thought when I originally purchased that I would go the way of car trailering to location and then riding the area around the location but find I miss the long rides. So still looking for solutions. Have ordered a one wheel swing arm bolt thru the axle trailer from a firm in Canada, Trail Tail, that I have high hopes of a solution. Not cheap but just enough extra carrying ability to get everything off bike. Will send pics once it arrives and I get her assembled. If it works out planning on removing my Acme Moto panniers and placing everything in trailer. May install just a small top box for tire repair kit and miscellaneous.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I look forward to that report! Here in Oz - a land made for touring and big enough to take weeks doing so - we see quite a few mobikes pulling trailers, even occasionally a one-wheel design such as yours - very neat!

·
Registered
Bmw ninet pure 2019
13 Posts
Hi everyone, I would like to order a Kriega US30 bag.
Do I have to order some strap to fix them on my Ninet pure?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
G'Day,

I have a Urban G/S and used a Kriega US30 for an overnight trip.

With the Kriega bag you will get 4 strap loops that you can feed through the subframe to attach the bag to the bike. I have a small rear rack and attached the rear straps to that. The front straps were through the sub-frame close the 1/2 way down the seat. I found that the bag fitted the best length wise on the seat and used the top compression strap through the back of the rack to stop the bag from moving around. If you don't have a rack, you can possibly attach the rear straps to each other and run them underneath the seat.

I don't have any closer pictures of the attachment straps

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
Bmw ninet pure 2019
13 Posts
Hi thanks for the great reply.
Well I don't want to add a rack at the moment since I'm a lonely rider so just put on the rear seat the bag.
What if I put the bag in the other orientation?
So no need other strap.
Thanks

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T 2014
4 Posts
Just an update on my previous post:

I'm now focused on the Kriega Saddlebags Duo-36. They seem easy enough to throw on and off, I like the style and the waterproof material. I also remember reading somewhere there were no issues having a passenger. Can't find it again though, so can anyone else confirm this?

Together with this I'm looking at either the Givi TE5115 Pannier Rails or the SW-Motech SLC Side Carriers. Downside with the Givi's are I'll probably have to throw out my tail tidy and go back to stock tail because of the indicators. Also, they are quite ugly when bags are not on. Regarding the SLC side carriers, does anyone have experience using these together with the kriega saddlebags? Do they fit? Just sent mail to SW-Motech to see whether my tail tidy still works with these or not, hoping it will...

·
Registered
19 Posts
So no need other strap.
I tried that however the bag kept moving with the bumps during the trip. I then turned it to the way I had it in the pictures and kept going again. Once again the bag moved a little this time, but not as much as before. I then used the top compression strap that is part of the Kriega bag to hook it around the base of the rack. That seemed to stabilise the bag and it did not move again.
You should be able to run the front straps around the frame under the seat. Use the second set of loops and join them together. They go under the rear seat and should keep your bag put.

I do a fair bit of off-roading too and always use additional straps to keep the luggage where I want it to stay. On my GSA I don't have a problem, the R9T with the shorter tail needs a little more careful packing and strapping. I am happy with the final way the bag sits on the bike. I don't think I will add any additional Kriega's on top of that one, unless it is a US5 or maybe a US10. I only used the straps that came with the US30 to tie it down.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to put the bag back on the bike next week and take more pics if you want.

Cheers, Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi thanks for the great reply.
Well I don't want to add a rack at the moment since I'm a lonely rider so just put on the rear seat the bag.
So no need other strap.
Thanks
Hi, I ride with mu US30 the other way and it fits nicely and doesnt shift if you are careful where you attach the fixing straps, heres pics of the bag in situ and of the straps and where to fix them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your quick response @Lawrence of Suburbia, and I'm glad to hear you're still riding despite your stiff legs and knees!

I've haven't come across a fast-removable rack option before so this is absolutely interesting. A thing that might make this difficult for me though is the size. Ventura says it's designed for 10l bags, guessing it's the size and weight limitations that make that number. Since I'll be going with a passenger for some trips, I'm looking for 25-35l capacity. Also, Ventura does not seem to have a country distributor in Sweden.. I will search some more for similar racks from now on, there might be other alternatives that could suit my needs. E Bay might take a day or two to scan!

And I'll be sure to let you know how this all ends. Was happy to find there was a community this big for nineT owners!
A bit late to this discussion, but since I lived in NZ for 30+ years (where the VENTURA gear is made), I thought I might add my 02cents worth...

I used their racks/bags almost exclusively whilst there, and can tell you it is quality gear, with bags from 10ltrs to 70ltrs (2 bags zipped together)...and now Top Boxes.

You can check out their products...just search for "ventura luggage new zealand" . I have NO family or financial interests in this company....just admire their products.

1181 - 1190 of 1190 Posts