BMW NineT Forum banner

1221 - 1229 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

ive been searching for luggage, racks etc but to still be able to have a pillion. The bigger the better really! Ideally we’d like to be able to go away for a weekend or maybe a week.
Everything seems to involve sacrificing so much space that I don’t think the two of us would fit. What have others in similar situations been able to do?

cheers

ps this is on scrambler

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Hi all,

ive been searching for luggage, racks etc but to still be able to have a pillion. The bigger the better really! Ideally we’d like to be able to go away for a weekend or maybe a week.
Everything seems to involve sacrificing so much space that I don’t think the two of us would fit. What have others in similar situations been able to do?

cheers

ps this is on scrambler
You might consider something like this....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Luggage Options for 2015 Classic

Rizoma, Unit Garage, and Hepco & Becker rear racks all have 5kg weight limit, but look nice.

Wunderlich has a rack that bolts to the subframe in place of the pillion seat, so weight is not an issue, but it's $396. Then you have to buy luggage.

So went with Kriega US20 Drypack ($159) that's easy to secure on top of the pillion seat with quick-release hooks that attach to web loops secured to the subframe.

Got a Kriega US10 Drypack ($109) that can piggyback to the US20 tail bag for more storage, or can be used as a tank bag with Kriega's tank converter ($39).

The BMW tank bag is way too big and $323 with the harness.

Same setup I have on my R100GS.

Kriega's stuff is bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone. I don't post very often but when I was researching the setup I wanted, I used the posts in this forum to help me out so I figured I'd return the favour and hopefully this helps someone out. Everyone has their own specific setup and needs so obviously this will not be for everyone. My requirements were that for my 2016 R9T, I wanted to get rid of the diving board in the back, I wanted enough storage for a weekend get away for two and of course space for a pillion.

For the tail tidy, I went with the Daedalus Minima Tail Tidy. Really great product and great service (I had a lot of questions for them and they were excellent).

For the panniers, I went with the SW-Motech Saddlebags. Chose them because they had enough storage space, allowed for a pillion and, as a bonus, a cleaner look when they are not on. No extra frame to install. Granted my pillion is not very big and the space for her legs is just okay.

One of my concerns is the combo tail tidy and saddlebags means that my brake lights and turn signals are invisible from the side. Another is that the turn signals I used are a bit bigger than the Rizoma that you can purchase with the tail tidy and so there is not much room between the saddlebags and the turn signals. I have not had a chance to do a road trip with this setup and so I still don't know if this will be an issue.

Eventually I could also add a tank bag for extra space and a tail bag for longer solo trips.

Attached pictures will give you an idea of the setup.

R9T-2016-Back-After-Pan.jpg
R9T-2016-Right-After.jpg
R9T-2016-Right-After-Pan.jpg
R9T-2016-Right-After-Pan-Pil.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
One of my concerns is the combo tail tidy and saddlebags means that my brake lights and turn signals are invisible from the side. Another is that the turn signals I used are a bit bigger than the Rizoma that you can purchase with the tail tidy and so there is not much room between the saddlebags and the turn signals. I have not had a chance to do a road trip with this setup and so I still don't know if this will be an issue.
maybe go with this... turn signals on the plate frame? It looks like the bags press on your signals and they can’t be seen unless directly behind.

1221 - 1229 of 1229 Posts