BMW NineT Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1283 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

ive been searching for luggage, racks etc but to still be able to have a pillion. The bigger the better really! Ideally we’d like to be able to go away for a weekend or maybe a week.
Everything seems to involve sacrificing so much space that I don’t think the two of us would fit. What have others in similar situations been able to do?

cheers

ps this is on scrambler

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi all,

ive been searching for luggage, racks etc but to still be able to have a pillion. The bigger the better really! Ideally we’d like to be able to go away for a weekend or maybe a week.
Everything seems to involve sacrificing so much space that I don’t think the two of us would fit. What have others in similar situations been able to do?

cheers

ps this is on scrambler
You might consider something like this....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Luggage Options for 2015 Classic

Rizoma, Unit Garage, and Hepco & Becker rear racks all have 5kg weight limit, but look nice.

Wunderlich has a rack that bolts to the subframe in place of the pillion seat, so weight is not an issue, but it's $396. Then you have to buy luggage.

So went with Kriega US20 Drypack ($159) that's easy to secure on top of the pillion seat with quick-release hooks that attach to web loops secured to the subframe.

Got a Kriega US10 Drypack ($109) that can piggyback to the US20 tail bag for more storage, or can be used as a tank bag with Kriega's tank converter ($39).

The BMW tank bag is way too big and $323 with the harness.

Same setup I have on my R100GS.

Kriega's stuff is bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone. I don't post very often but when I was researching the setup I wanted, I used the posts in this forum to help me out so I figured I'd return the favour and hopefully this helps someone out. Everyone has their own specific setup and needs so obviously this will not be for everyone. My requirements were that for my 2016 R9T, I wanted to get rid of the diving board in the back, I wanted enough storage for a weekend get away for two and of course space for a pillion.

For the tail tidy, I went with the Daedalus Minima Tail Tidy. Really great product and great service (I had a lot of questions for them and they were excellent).

For the panniers, I went with the SW-Motech Saddlebags. Chose them because they had enough storage space, allowed for a pillion and, as a bonus, a cleaner look when they are not on. No extra frame to install. Granted my pillion is not very big and the space for her legs is just okay.

One of my concerns is the combo tail tidy and saddlebags means that my brake lights and turn signals are invisible from the side. Another is that the turn signals I used are a bit bigger than the Rizoma that you can purchase with the tail tidy and so there is not much room between the saddlebags and the turn signals. I have not had a chance to do a road trip with this setup and so I still don't know if this will be an issue.

Eventually I could also add a tank bag for extra space and a tail bag for longer solo trips.

Attached pictures will give you an idea of the setup.

R9T-2016-Back-After-Pan.jpg
R9T-2016-Right-After.jpg
R9T-2016-Right-After-Pan.jpg
R9T-2016-Right-After-Pan-Pil.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
One of my concerns is the combo tail tidy and saddlebags means that my brake lights and turn signals are invisible from the side. Another is that the turn signals I used are a bit bigger than the Rizoma that you can purchase with the tail tidy and so there is not much room between the saddlebags and the turn signals. I have not had a chance to do a road trip with this setup and so I still don't know if this will be an issue.
maybe go with this... turn signals on the plate frame? It looks like the bags press on your signals and they can’t be seen unless directly behind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Dave. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I sold on the pillion seat. The wunderlich one says in conjunction with rear frame.

I'll check hepco & becker site.

Scratch that, wunderlich do a version that doesn't require the rear frame.

That will do me :)
Hi, just been searching forum for info about this wunderlich pillion rack (ex sub frame) and found your post. Firstly, hope all is good health wise and you are keeping safe and well. About the rack, wondered whether you did fit this item and how it went. Thinking about doing the same thing for similar travel light reasons.
Jon

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hepco & Becker rear carry rack on 2017 Classic

After a fair amount of searching for a rear luggage-rack for my R9T Roadster/ Classic, I finally opted for a HEPCO & BECKER product from the local distributor, H&B part number 654669 01 01. I’ve never had H&B stuff before, but am impressed with the apparent quality and finish of this item. Fitting instructions were simple and well-illustrated.

It’s a little unusual in that instead of being fastened to the bike by the existing four (4) under-seat screws like most other racks of this kind it only uses the rearmost two (2) of these. For further support the side-arms of the rack extend a fair way forward on the bike to the other two mounting points, one either side. It seems to me that this must stiffen-up the whole plot as compared to alternative methods. The rack itself is quite hefty at 1.8kg, or 3.9 pounds.

A small but neat touch is the front circular mounting plate with holes drilled around the perimeter, which nicely chimes with that motif elsewhere, and another is the engraved Hepco & Becker aluminium plate on the rack.

One thing puzzles me though: the instructions with this rack say that it is only suitable for soft luggage. Why is it so? Surely it’s the overall weight of whatever is on the rack that counts - luggage plus contents - not the type of luggage. Are there any views on this admittedly minor observation – am I missing something here?

For probably 95% of the time I’ll fit a small Pelican-type case of about 8L capacity to carry a few things on day-rides, such as my two-piece rain-suit, digital camera, mobile phone, spare gloves. Later, for weekends away of 2 - 4 nights I'll swap this for a small top-box of ~25L capacity, weighing no more than about 6kg all-up when lightly-packed with gear. The location of the Pelican case and small top-box shown in the pix below is not necessarily where they'll be be when finally fitted, as I'd want them to be as far forward as reasonable possible while still allowing me adequate room to throw my leg over the seat.

The rack itself is very well-made, the finish matches exactly the adjacent bike elements, it blends-in well as fitted, and should suit me very nicely. Recommended.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I too bought the H & B rear tail rack. It is a good quality build.
It's a two for one, because it takes your eyes away from the ugly tail section (now no need to buy $500 tail tidy) and it gives you storage capability.
I wound up getting the Moose Racing 25 Liter ADV-1 bag for $59.
It's a good size, you can bungee cord more items on top of the bag as well.
Plus it's removable from the mounting straps.

·
Registered
746 Posts
There is a fair amount of room between the underneath of this H&B rack and the top of the rear lights structure, aka the diving board. I plan to utilise this space - if I can, altho' still at the 'thinking-about-it' stage - to carry a small canvas bag or roll in which to pack my two-piece wet-weather oversuit. It's quite bulky, and I may need to free-up the top-box space when out and about for a few days. Each separate item - the jacket and the pants - should fold or roll-up pretty tightly to a size I could fit into a bag or roll, which could then be strapped to the underside of the rack,making for quick access if needed on the road, or to be taken off for security when over-nighting.

An alternative I looked into is a rack that is screwed onto the lid of a top-box, giving a flat and secure surface on which to strap things, but the size is larger than my top-box lid and so will not fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m interested in this rack as I like the way it mounts. However; I have the sw-motech side bags and am wondering if they play nice together. Anyone have any experience with that combination?

Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I just bought a set of SLC racks from SW-Motech and wonder if this Hepco Becker rack will work.

·
Registered
746 Posts
UPDATE: After installing the H&B rack some days ago I have now fitted the small Pelican-style case of about 8L capacity to the rack, in a slightly more forward location than originally trial-fitted as in post #1233 above. In this location I can clear the case easily enough when mounting/ demounting, and it doesn't interfere with the pillion-seat if and when I need to remove it. I can now carry my rather bulky two-piece wet-weather oversuit (which I'd have needed today if out and about!) plus essentials like the mobile phone, camera, spare gloves, and not much more. Next step is to fit the small 27L top-box which will be needed for outings of a few days and nights when our recalcitrant State government finally opens our borders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Luggage Options for 2015 Classic

Rizoma, Unit Garage, and Hepco & Becker rear racks all have 5kg weight limit, but look nice.

Wunderlich has a rack that bolts to the subframe in place of the pillion seat, so weight is not an issue, but it's $396. Then you have to buy luggage.

So went with Kriega US20 Drypack ($159) that's easy to secure on top of the pillion seat with quick-release hooks that attach to web loops secured to the subframe.

Got a Kriega US10 Drypack ($109) that can piggyback to the US20 tail bag for more storage, or can be used as a tank bag with Kriega's tank converter ($39).

The BMW tank bag is way too big and $323 with the harness.

Same setup I have on my R100GS.

Kriega's stuff is bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I fitted the hepco and Becker rear rack, but how serious do we think they are about the 5kg limit?? I mean the explore 45 weighs about that empty....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've recently added the H & B saddlebags to my Pure. Really happy with the quality of them.
I also have the Kreiga system that sits on the passenger seat for an additional 30 litres.

View attachment 126611
Are you still liking these? I can't find that many people on the forums who have installed them. I'm considering them, but I'm a little bit worried about how they attach and the weight limit H&B lists for them - only 3 kg per side. Are the passenger pegs still usable with these installed?

1221 - 1240 of 1283 Posts