BMW NineT Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1283 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dammit. I am so very torn.

I have always preferred hard panniers over soft. I want to toss pokey things inside without worry. I don't want to deal with the security issues of soft (imagined though they may be). I don't want to deal with what always look, to me, like saggy britches and loaded diapers. And most that aren't hideous aren't waterproof - a deal breaker where I live.

But $1,000 for hard panniers (e.g. HB 30 liter Xplorer panniers) makes my teeth ache. Adding 30 lbs +/- to the weight of the bike doesn't help.

For soft luggage, the Hepco Becker Xtravel C-bow bags look good from a function point of view. But... gahhhhh

Someone, quick, make a decision for me.

I promise to probably do the opposite.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dammit. I am so very torn.

I have always preferred hard panniers over soft. I want to toss pokey things inside without worry. I don't want to deal with the security issues of soft (imagined though they may be). I don't want to deal with what always look, to me, like saggy britches and loaded diapers. And most that aren't hideous aren't waterproof - a deal breaker where I live.

But $1,000 for hard panniers (e.g. HB 30 liter Xplorer panniers) makes my teeth ache. Adding 30 lbs +/- to the weight of the bike doesn't help.

For soft luggage, the Hepco Becker Xtravel C-bow bags look good from a function point of view. But... gahhhhh

Someone, quick, make a decision for me.

I promise to probably do the opposite.
There are hard cases available for the C-Bow system - the Orbit side cases - I just worry about the mounting brackets and the weight limit. They just use the four small (M5?) screws under the pillion seat. They should work out to something like $540 with a discount code.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Are you still liking these? I can't find that many people on the forums who have installed them. I'm considering them, but I'm a little bit worried about how they attach and the weight limit H&B lists for them - only 3 kg per side. Are the passenger pegs still usable with these installed?
Yes I love them, they are very good quality. I ignore the weight limit, they can handle much more. Just be sensible.

I've never tried to carry a passenger but there's very little room for a leg alongside the bags so I'd say no to that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes I love them, they are very good quality. I ignore the weight limit, they can handle much more. Just be sensible.

I've never tried to carry a passenger but there's very little room for a leg alongside the bags so I'd say no to that.
Excellent to hear...looking for something that would hold enough for a long weekend camping or something to that effect. Are they big enough for a few days worth of stuff?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
There are hard cases available for the C-Bow system - the Orbit side cases - I just worry about the mounting brackets and the weight limit. They just use the four small (M5?) screws under the pillion seat. They should work out to something like $540 with a discount code.

Or the SW-Motech Blaze...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Excellent to hear...looking for something that would hold enough for a long weekend camping or something to that effect. Are they big enough for a few days worth of stuff?
yes i think so, although camping requires some bulky items.

I’ve done a full week on the road with the panniers and 25L of Kreiga softbags on the tail. More than enough room all up. That was Sydney to Phillip Island and back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Or the SW-Motech Blaze...

Those aren’t hard shell panniers though...

The bike I bought came with the receivers for the blaze bags/bars bolted to the frame, but nothing else (bars, bags).

I’ve considered trying to source the parts, but I think I’d rather have a proper hard shell pannier set.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Those aren’t hard shell panniers though...

The bike I bought came with the receivers for the blaze bags/bars bolted to the frame, but nothing else (bars, bags).

I’ve considered trying to source the parts, but I think I’d rather have a proper hard shell pannier set.
No, but they’re not soft either. Great looking bags, and perhaps a decent compromise solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Givi bold b32 top box ($98) mounted on AliExpress rear rack (like $45), 2 led lights on the rack from superbrightled ($5) and we're ready for pizza delivery 🤣

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yea - it was packed pretty full for a long weekend - probably 30-40 pounds. Stayed in place without adjustments for a 200 mile (each way) trip.

Awl jew respeck an' awl that - but why d'you need awl that stuff fer a long weekend?? Jus' askin'...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Awl jew respeck an' awl that - but why d'you need awl that stuff fer a long weekend?? Jus' askin'...
Speaking for myself, I think I'd have the same luggage whether its a 3 day weekend or a 2 week outing. Tools, cameras stuff, bit of clothes, rain gear, extra gloves, iPad, sneakers, it all adds up. My current setup provides 88 litres of space plus a 20 litre tank bag when required.
Still way less weight than a passenger and its lower down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello!
I been trying to get a comment from Hepco & Becker concerning some pretty dramatic damage that occurred on my brand new Xceed Topcase, this after one (!) hours of use, no off-road riding..
In the case I stored a lock, an IPad and a headset.

It seems they are not interested in a conversation so I better put up a warning here.

The problem is the super soft aluminium used in combination with a very fragile non-flexible surface treatment. This makes the cases not suitable for normal use without some extra protection added inside, a job that in my opinion should have been done by H&B. Some would now say that I should have used the extra optional inner bags. I could have done that but have never used such on any of my previous aluminium cases, no harm ever noticed

I was not keen too wait for the process and take fight about my specific case so I took the case to a local shop and let them fix the dents and paint the case in a suitable colour for my bike instead.
Reaching out to H&B asking for an act of goodwill seems to result in ..nothing.. so I will take it as learning money.

I’ll attach a few pics here of the 359€ Topcase after 1 hour of use :)
The dents could be pressed back with you thumb..
I also add a few pics after the cases was refurbished and painted.

Greetings!
Daniel

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's pretty poor, I'm assuming it's the lock that did the damage. Is the aluminium really thin? They should have pressed a structural shape into the metal (like a Gerry can) to give it extra strength. If it's any consolation it looks much better painted. 👍

1241 - 1260 of 1283 Posts