BMW NineT Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1283 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's pretty poor, I'm assuming it's the lock that did the damage. Is the aluminium really thin? They should have pressed a structural shape into the metal (like a Gerry can) to give it extra strength. If it's any consolation it looks much better painted. 👍
The aluminium "should" be 1.5 mm, it is oddly soft though.. but the cracking surface is even more strange.
Anyway, it's now painted and reinforced!

Nice to hear you like the looks better now, thanks! :)

·
Administrator
11,567 Posts
the cracking surface is even more strange.
The cracking is possibly due to clear coat on top of the aluminium. I has near identical marking on my aluminium tail hump when a disc lock got loose from what it was wrapped in and rattled around inside. Like you I took the opportunity to get the aluminium custom painted. :)

Every cloud has a silver lining... ;)

Reactions: Daniel

·
Registered
206 Posts
With the GIVI tanklock system you can turn any soft bag into a tank bag. Also of a backpack with laptop compartment:

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
116 Posts
How about this Hepco & Becker solution: rack + alu top case? May do better pictures, these ones were taken just as finished mounting the kit...

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about this Hepco & Becker solution: rack + alu top case? May do better pictures, these ones were taken just as finished mounting the kit...
With the terribly bumpy roads I find myself on often, I’d expect that entire assembly to snap off on my first day ride. I have my box where a passenger would sit because of that.
For good roads and a reasonably filled box, this looks like a good safe solution.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT
12 Posts

View attachment 134463 View attachment 134464
The short answer is that I only have the rider’s seat and I need something to fill in the pillion spot. So, either buy a pillion seat for passengers that I’m never planning to have or put something useful there- like a rack.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
116 Posts
Rome roads are quite bumpy, I already plan to add some kind of neoprene/rubber cushioning material between the box and the rack and maybe to add also some additional washer between the rack and the frame... let's see....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a pair of the SW Motech Urban ABS panniers for my UGS. My bike already had the SW Motech SLC luggage brackets and these cases seemed like a sleek solution for secure storage for smaller, mostly on#road trips. I think they look great on the bike and have some features I appreciate like locks to the bike and locked closed. I had to modify the mounting plates a bit since my Unit Garage rear rack interfered with the flush case mounting points. If I didn’t have the rear rack no modification would be required. I was able to stand-off the three mounting points on the SLC brackets with three washers each and then had a pal 3D print some spacer plates to stand-off the mounting brackets on the cases. My rear indicators are in stock position and the case fits nicely behind them without applying any pressure to them. If anyone is curious about the modifications or would like more pictures of the cases just let me know.

For more serious trips I use the SW Motech SLC adapter plates with Kriegra US 30/20/10 soft dry bags in various combinations.

Note I currently have the scrambler muffler on the bike. I believe the case will fit with the stock muffler which I’ll be putting on soon and will circle back to confirm there is enough clearance to mange heat. Definitely don’t want to melt the ABS!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The short answer is that I only have the rider’s seat and I need something to fill in the pillion spot. So, either buy a pillion seat for passengers that I’m never planning to have or put something useful there- like a rack.
I bolted a Touratech Super Tenere rack to the passenger spot (Raises it 3 inches). The panniers are mounted to a Hepco Becker frame.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT
12 Posts
SnowGS - I was considering something like that as well. Did you put something underneath it to cover the exposed wires a keep dirt from accumulating?

·
Registered
R NineT Scrambler
6 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with a messenger bag like the SW-Motech Legend Gear LR3 or the Kriega Urban EDC Messenger bag or any other?
I'm thinking on going for a messenger bag or a saddle bag (OEM BMW or SW-Motech) or the Kriega US-20/30.
What would you guys go for? It's mainly going to be used for going to work and getting the bag off the bike easily.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT
12 Posts
I wanted something to carry my lunch, coffee, and a water bottle to work. I also wanted something that wasn’t huge. I have been very happy with the Aerostich messenger bag. I think I have the “Courier” size.

·
Registered
98 Posts
SnowGS - I was considering something like that as well. Did you put something underneath it to cover the exposed wires a keep dirt from accumulating?
Not sure I understand. The underneath has no changes and from on top, yes there's a metal cover bolted in the original 4 holes that protect the lighting wires. That plate is what the topcase rack bolts to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with a messenger bag like the SW-Motech Legend Gear LR3 or the Kriega Urban EDC Messenger bag or any other?
I'm thinking on going for a messenger bag or a saddle bag (OEM BMW or SW-Motech) or the Kriega US-20/30.
What would you guys go for? It's mainly going to be used for going to work and getting the bag off the bike easily.
G'Day,

I commute every day and have the BMW 30 Small bag. It works with or without a rack. It is more secure with a luggage rack. It is more than big enough for ones daily needs. Mine is a few years old now and the waterproofing is not so good any longer.

In heavy rain I use a Kriega US30. It is a big bag and take lots of stuff. A bit of a overkill for day to day carry if you only pack a few items. All my daily stuff fits inside a 25L backpack that I put inside the bag. I don't like riding with backpacks at all. A US20 will be a good option for a daily trip. I can pack for a two-day trip in the US30 including a tool-roll, a big first aid kit and a bottle of water.

For reference I pack a 1L Nalgene water bottle, 6-pack size cooler-box with lunch, wallet, phone and watch. Sometimes a pair of shorts or a jersey.

Cheers, Pete
No Rack

With Luggage Rack

With Kriega US30

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had to modify the mounting plates a bit since my Unit Garage rear rack interfered with the flush case mounting points.

I'd love to see pictures of this setup from the back or top, showing the mods you made and the distance from the rack. I have the same bags on my Urban and was unable to make the rear rack fit.

Note I currently have the scrambler muffler on the bike. I believe the case will fit with the stock muffler which I’ll be putting on soon and will circle back to confirm there is enough clearance to mange heat. Definitely don’t want to melt the ABS!
Yes, the left side bag does fit with the left side OEM exhaust.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
116 Posts

View attachment 134463
I could see the aluminium is a bit delicate and it already shows a couple of dents by the contents of the case travelling around (mostly the u-lock). So I found some Neoprene adhesive sheets and cut them to completely cover the inside of the case. Pretty satisfied with the work done :)

I did a small video, but not sure if I can upload it.

Ah and just ordered a u-lock holder that I will fix probably on the rack side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have also the left side pannier? Based on Swmotech site the Ninet (except the Ninet/5) are not compatible with the left Urban Abs pannier.
How far is from the exhaust?
Yup I do have the left side pannier as well. I have yet to install that one but I believe it should fit with stock exhaust. @GapRunr reported two posts above that it does indeed work and clearance to the exhaust looks pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1261 - 1280 of 1283 Posts