BMW NineT Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1301 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I picked up a pair of the SW Motech Urban ABS panniers for my UGS. My bike already had the SW Motech SLC luggage brackets and these cases seemed like a sleek solution for secure storage for smaller, mostly on#road trips. I think they look great on the bike and have some features I appreciate like locks to the bike and locked closed. I had to modify the mounting plates a bit since my Unit Garage rear rack interfered with the flush case mounting points. If I didn’t have the rear rack no modification would be required. I was able to stand-off the three mounting points on the SLC brackets with three washers each and then had a pal 3D print some spacer plates to stand-off the mounting brackets on the cases. My rear indicators are in stock position and the case fits nicely behind them without applying any pressure to them. If anyone is curious about the modifications or would like more pictures of the cases just let me know.

For more serious trips I use the SW Motech SLC adapter plates with Kriegra US 30/20/10 soft dry bags in various combinations.

Note I currently have the scrambler muffler on the bike. I believe the case will fit with the stock muffler which I’ll be putting on soon and will circle back to confirm there is enough clearance to mange heat. Definitely don’t want to melt the ABS!

View attachment 134493
Any chance you could post a few pics of your set up with the Kriega luggage? I have just bought a couple of US20 bags and already have a US10. Plan to use the 10 strapped to the rear seat with each 20 mounted to the SW Motec SLC plates.. Had a quick go last night and the left side 20 almost sits on top of the exhaust. Just wondering how you got around that?
Many thanks..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any chance you could post a few pics of your set up with the Kriega luggage? I have just bought a couple of US20 bags and already have a US10. Plan to use the 10 strapped to the rear seat with each 20 mounted to the SW Motec SLC plates.. Had a quick go last night and the left side 20 almost sits on top of the exhaust. Just wondering how you got around that?
Many thanks..
I have used a US-30 and US-20+US-10 on separate occasions. This was to check suitability and to check if one is better than the other for MY use. I preferred the US-30 for the overnight trip. It fitted well on the seat and rack and did not move once it was strapped down properly. I used the top closure strap through the rack and that prevented the bag from moving around. I found the 20+10 combination required some additional tension not to move.

If I was in your situation, I'll put the US-20 on the seat, the other US-20 on the swing-arm side and the US-10 on the exhaust side. Space the weight evenly and handling should not be affected.

Pics of the US-30 and the 20+10

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have used a US-30 and US-20+US-10 on separate occasions. This was to check suitability and to check if one is better than the other for MY use. I preferred the US-30 for the overnight trip. It fitted well on the seat and rack and did not move once it was strapped down properly. I used the top closure strap through the rack and that prevented the bag from moving around. I found the 20+10 combination required some additional tension not to move.

If I was in your situation, I'll put the US-20 on the seat, the other US-20 on the swing-arm side and the US-10 on the exhaust side. Space the weight evenly and handling should not be affected.

Pete
Thanks for posting Pete,

I somehow thought you used the SW Motech racks with the 2 US20s.. I’m going to make a heat shield to fit to the mounts for the SW Motech CLC carriers and mount the US20s either side with the US10 on the pillion seat...

·
Registered
102 Posts

Pete
What hand muff is that? Looks warm!

·
Registered
49 Posts
What hand muff is that? Looks warm!
They are Barkbuster Blizzards (https://barkbusters.net/products/bbz/). I use them in winter to keep most of the cold wind off my hands. This was the first winter with them and they are a keeper. I use smaller ones in summer and then the Blizzards for winter. This pic was taken when we were in the Snowy Mountains. We were riding in temps ranging from 2 degrees C to 10 degrees C. I had the heated grips up on low setting with BMW Winter gloves and my hands were warm. I got these as they only come as far as ones wrist and direct the wind and rain over the gloves.

Cheers, Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for posting Pete,

I somehow thought you used the SW Motech racks with the 2 US20s.. I’m going to make a heat shield to fit to the mounts for the SW Motech CLC carriers and mount the US20s either side with the US10 on the pillion seat...
I think b_rock has the carries you have.

Looking at them, be careful of the latching mechanism that sticks out, so they do not puncture the bags. Maybe try to combine the bags as per Kriega's instructions, with a slight change. Instead of putting them on the side of the bag, attach them to the bottom hoop and then onto the carrier. This means that the US-10 that sits on the side is slightly higher than the carrier, but supported by it. I have tried this on my GSA with a US-30 on the seat and two US-20's on either side supported by a rack I have on it. According to Kriega you add the 20 on the side, supported by a top and bottom hoop. What I did was to put the top hook of the US-20 on the bottom side of the US-30 and the bottom of the US-20 attached to the luggage rack. That way most of the weight was evenly shared between the bag and the rack. My racks are not designed to carry a bag, but to act as a support so the bags don't swing into the rear wheel. If you look at my set-up from the back it has a "step" look to it. I did not take ant pics as it was a test fit only with bags stuffed full of fluffy stuff. All I tested was the principle and that worked for me.

Also remember that the US system is not really designed to act as panniers or side bags on their own. I have used the Kriega OS Straps to act like an over the seat system between the US-30 bags on the GSA. It worked, but I still had to tie them down to the rack. The US-30's are way to big to use that way on the Urban. The US-20's may work, I have not tried them as side bags on the Urban. I'll have a play next weekend with some combinations and post some pics. I am waiting for another US-20 to arrive and will try with 2x20's and a 10. Bear in mind I don't have any carriers on my Urban.

Cheers, Pete

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I think b_rock has the carries you have.

Looking at them, be careful of the latching mechanism that sticks out, so they do not puncture the bags. Maybe try to combine the bags as per Kriega's instructions, with a slight change. Instead of putting them on the side of the bag, attach them to the bottom hoop and then onto the carrier. This means that the US-10 that sits on the side is slightly higher than the carrier, but supported by it. I have tried this on my GSA with a US-30 on the seat and two US-20's on either side supported by a rack I have on it. According to Kriega you add the 20 on the side, supported by a top and bottom hoop. What I did was to put the top hook of the US-20 on the bottom side of the US-30 and the bottom of the US-20 attached to the luggage rack. That way most of the weight was evenly shared between the bag and the rack. My racks are not designed to carry a bag, but to act as a support so the bags don't swing into the rear wheel. If you look at my set-up from the back it has a "step" look to it. I did not take ant pics as it was a test fit only with bags stuffed full of fluffy stuff. All I tested was the principle and that worked for me.

Also remember that the US system is not really designed to act as panniers or side bags on their own. I have used the Kriega OS Straps to act like an over the seat system between the US-30 bags on the GSA. It worked, but I still had to tie them down to the rack. The US-30's are way to big to use that way on the Urban. The US-20's may work, I have not tried them as side bags on the Urban. I'll have a play next weekend with some combinations and post some pics. I am waiting for another US-20 to arrive and will try with 2x20's and a 10. Bear in mind I don't have any carriers on my Urban.

Cheers, Pete
Thanks for clarifying Pete, I’ve been in the garage all morning playing about with a piece of 2mm steel to fabricate into a sort of heat shield. The US20 on the exhaust side rests on it so needed to fix that somehow... Quite pleased with the result but also conscious of the weight that’s now mounted on the SLC side carrier and adapter plates...

·
Registered
102 Posts
They are Barkbuster Blizzards (BBZ - Barkbusters Moto). I use them in winter to keep most of the cold wind off my hands. This was the first winter with them and they are a keeper. I use smaller ones in summer and then the Blizzards for winter. This pic was taken when we were in the Snowy Mountains. We were riding in temps ranging from 2 degrees C to 10 degrees C. I had the heated grips up on low setting with BMW Winter gloves and my hands were warm. I got these as they only come as far as ones wrist and direct the wind and rain over the gloves.

Cheers, Pete
I was planning to buy the blizzard. I didnt recognize this is the blizzard (y) .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the pics SE rider. That setup looks good. Report back once they have had a good road test.

Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
@SE Rider my apologies for not writing back sooner. I just finished a three week tour with the set up attached. It worked really well and I will try to explain any details. I don’t have a ton of useful pictures showing everything packed up with clearances but I can attest that it worked well and didn’t have any issues with the bags being too close to the exhaust. But it looks like you’ve built yourself an awesome heat shield and I think that that is pretty slick.

Here was my set up:
  • Stock exhaust
  • SW Motech SLC side carries on both sides
  • SW Motech adapter plates (same as you’re showing)
  • Stock exhaust
  • Kreiga US30 + two US10 mounted to the seat with heavy stuff
  • US20 mounted direct to adaptor plate for the one on exhaust side. I packed all my clothes in here so it was light and structured which allowed me to synch it down firmly. I always checked the clearance to the exhaust and never had any issues.
  • US30 mounted direct to adaptor plate on the right side of the bike. In this pack I had my sleeping system so it was light and consistently structured as well.
  • I also have a tail bag mounted on top of the US30 as well as a dry bag for my Blundstone boots.
Again, the pictures aren’t great to show the details but I think you have it figured out. Everything was solid and I was pretty happy with it. I am coming from hard cases on a GS and adapting to soft luggage on the UGS had it’s pros and cons.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
@b_rock please let me know once installed. Can you also confirm that the passenger has space for the legs with these bags on the bike?
Hmmmm I think it would be pretty tight. But I take up a fair amount of room on the seat. The edge of the cases just touch my butt a bit so the passenger would likely have to really adapt their seating and leg position to make it work and get a decent purchase on the passenger pegs. I’ve never had a passenger on this bike but if I get the opportunity to give it a shot with these cases on I will let you know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the pics b_rock. That is one well packed UGS!!!

It looks like the US bags work well as side bags with appropriate adaptor plates as support. Did you strap the bags on the adaptor plates down with any additional straps?

Cheers, Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the pics b_rock. That is one well packed UGS!!!

It looks like the US bags work well as side bags with appropriate adaptor plates as support. Did you strap the bags on the adaptor plates down with any additional straps?

Cheers, Pete
Hey Pete. No additional straps other than the supplied ones. I think the key was ensuring the bags had enough stuff inside to maintain the full shape. I would tighten the "upper" straps first and then the "bottom" ones and tuck all the dangly parts away. They stayed secured both on and off road. At camp I would unclip the bags and leave the adaptor plates on the bike with the straps hanging down ready for the next day. I made sure the exhaust was cool enough before releasing the clips though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Pete. No additional straps other than the supplied ones. I think the key was ensuring the bags had enough stuff inside to maintain the full shape. I would tighten the "upper" straps first and then the "bottom" ones and tuck all the dangly parts away. They stayed secured both on and off road. At camp I would unclip the bags and leave the adaptor plates on the bike with the straps hanging down ready for the next day. I made sure the exhaust was cool enough before releasing the clips though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Cheers Mate, thanks for the details.

I'm going to make some backing plates for the GS and play with the US-30's.

Would you mind posting a pic of the adaptor plate on the bike with no bag attached to it please?

Cheers, Pete

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Hey Brock, after reading your last comment just wanted to give a bit of advice.....I used to do the same with straps at the end of the day with leaving them dangle, ready to receive my bags in the morning, until one evening, out in the boondocks, I decided to go for a nice little night ride, and missed one of those straps in the dark getting ready to go off with another rider. And yes you guessed it, it wrapped solidly around the rear axle. Was a bugger to get off and ruined the night riding but hey I haven't made that mistake ever again. Learned the hard way to do a loose tie up...just in case😱. Found it easier to release them first thing in the morning then spend an hour in the dark berating myself for a silly omission, especially far odd the beaten path, not to mention the jury rigged repair I had to accomplish as I didn't have an emergency extra strap that I usually have bu t couldn't find just when I needed it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Brock, after reading your last comment just wanted to give a bit of advice.....I used to do the same with straps at the end of the day with leaving them dangle, ready to receive my bags in the morning, until one evening, out in the boondocks, I decided to go for a nice little night ride, and missed one of those straps in the dark getting ready to go off with another rider. And yes you guessed it, it wrapped solidly around the rear axle. Was a bugger to get off and ruined the night riding but hey I haven't made that mistake ever again. Learned the hard way to do a loose tie up...just in case😱. Found it easier to release them first thing in the morning then spend an hour in the dark berating myself for a silly omission, especially far odd the beaten path, not to mention the jury rigged repair I had to accomplish as I didn't have an emergency extra strap that I usually have bu t couldn't find just when I needed it.
Yikes! That would sure be a pain in the butt! Solid advice. Thanks for the anecdote.

@pietervn see attached a few photos of the adaptor plates with the Kreiga connector loops installed. Happy to grab a snap of anything else that may be helpful.

Attachments

1281 - 1300 of 1301 Posts