BMW NineT Forum banner

1301 - 1315 of 1315 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the pics b_rock. That helps a lot. I am going to make an adaptor plate with similar holes where you have threaded the loops through. And an additional one for the top strap.

Cheers, Pete

·
Registered
2015 R nineT CLassic
12 Posts
Custom modular luggage rack mod. My bike came with the rear hump instead of the passenger seat. I modified the hump base so I can quickly switch back and forth between the rear hump and the rear luggage rack. I think the rack looks factory, and when the hump is on, there is no visible change to the original appearance. Details below:

First I removed the hump shell by removing the four bolts that hold the hump shell to the base.

I purchased an SW-Motech non-bike specific luggage rack extension for $60 USD: Motorcycle QUICK-LOCK rack expansion - SW-MOTECH

The rack comes with generic quick-lock attachment hardware. I drilled three holes in the hump base plate. And then once I got everything lined up, I attached the lower quick-release mounts using the supplied self tapping screws.

The rubber washers that come with the kit were a little thin, so I got some sightly thicker ones from the hardware store, to make the quick release lock down more solid.

Once I got everything set up, I added some black plastic epoxy to the quick release mounts to make sure everything stays solid and doesn't vibrate loose.

I now have a modular rear rack that I can quickly add, or remove and replace with the rear hump.

If you want to do it yourself, and need more details or photos, please ask!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gray ghost ready for touring

Installed the SW-Motech Blaze bags yesterday and can now carry some clothing and toiletries for overnights.

But there's a hurricane parking its butt here and for the next week it's going to be the houseguest that got too comfortable and won't leave.
7B35A33E-90A4-4C6B-AFE0-E141D4765C5E.jpeg
E9B0314D-663E-4D4F-9CDB-7AA487C40CA9.jpeg

Reactions: TimC and oguzbay

·
Registered
2015 R NineT
14 Posts
Those Blaze saddlebags look good. Any chance of some more photos?

Also, I need 10" between the bags for my Rizoma turn signals. What do your measure?
Thanks

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
216 Posts
Great job, was it simple to mount them? Would you take some more pictures from the side and back?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the blaze system too and really like it. Very easy to fit the holder brackets, then the mounting arms clip in and out when you want to use them, meaning you can easily remove them when not needed with no tools and the remaining bracket is nigh on invisible.
The bags expand nicely too when needed.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT
14 Posts
The bags have some sort of waterproof inner bags? Are they decent? How are they to use? Do the outside bags get waterlogged or mostly shed it off?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use drybags inside them which also allow me to remove the contents easily for short periods such as motorway services etc. The outers get wet but not saturated and don't feel like they hold water long or fill up around the drybag.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have :) I had them mounted in June 2019 prior to my trip to the French and Spanish Pyrenees.
Here are some pictures. My ride is very dirty because I use it to commute every day, and the weather these days in Belgium :) Ah well, I'll clean it in spring again.

View attachment 128539 View attachment 128540 View attachment 128541 View attachment 128542 View attachment 128543 View attachment 128544

At first, getting the bags to fit again seemed impossible, but there's a trick to fit them, There's actually a bit of flex on the bags and the connecting plate. So I start with the pin that's closest to the rear first, make sure the rest gets aligned and then - while holding down the release button - click it into place. To remove it, you actually have to pull it in a straight line towards the steering bar (About a 45 degrees angle.)

Thanks to the Hepco & Co rack, and some Touratech Rolltop waterproof sidebags, I was able to fit everything I needed. On the rack I used a Giant Loop Bag :)

I'll post some pictures later on.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

Anyone else get this configuration to work? Side carriers and the Hepco Becker rack? I had the latter and just acquired the former. The rear mounts for both interfere with each other. It wouldn't take much modification to get them to work together... if I was a welding kind of guy. But perhaps I'm just missing something obvious (or their designs changed).

·
Registered
96 Posts

I'd love to see pictures of this setup from the back or top, showing the mods you made and the distance from the rack. I have the same bags on my Urban and was unable to make the rear rack fit.

Yes, the left side bag does fit with the left side OEM exhaust.

View attachment 134886
How far is the left side bag form the exhaust? Maybe post a picture from behind?
Can you carry a passenger with the bags on?

1301 - 1315 of 1315 Posts