BMW NineT Forum banner

Packing the NineT / Luggage Options Thread.

1M views 2K replies 458 participants last post by  RMF 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello!

I'm starting this thread for all to share how they are packing up their bikes. I know I can't wait to get out of town on the nineT and ride! Day trips, commuting, long-haul camping trips, and everything in between.

If it bolts, straps, or is welded to your bike to facilitate carrying anything, please share what you've done, what you are interested in buying, or have ideas to do.
Bag or luggage reviews are most welcome, and, of course, we need photos too!

Cheers,

Finn

#2 · (Edited)
I'll start out with what I've come up with so far. We do a fair bit of traveling/camping off of small dual sport bike, I've been hoping most of our luggage could move on over to the nineT and turns out it does. I'm sure there's room for improvement but here's my setup for the time being.

Day rides.
I only need to carry my camera, shown here is a HPRC 2200 case bolted directly to the subframe. No spacers, just 2 OEM bolts and two longer bolts needed for the front two.
I also have a USB charger mounted in the box to charge gadgets while on the go, the disconnect for the box is a SAE plug wired into the BMW accessory circuit where the outlet used to be.
Info on wiring it up can be found in the Wiring Gadgets on the NineT Thread
http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/accessories-gear/49530-packing-up-ninet-thread.html

#9 ·
I'll start out with what I've come up with so far. We do a fair bit of traveling/camping off of small dual sport bike, I've been hoping most of our luggage could move on over to the nineT and turns out it does. I'm sure there's room for improvement but here's my setup for the time being.
Lost, I do like that HPRC 2200, and gives me some great ideas for single riding. Might have to get one even if it won't be for every day!

#3 ·
More than a day ride, or when the day ride will take me far from home and I want to carry more tools, spare tubes, air pump, etc.

Here I added a Giant Loop Mojave Bag to the bike, it fits just fine and I don't see any issues with running it. 13 liters of storage added. I was able to fit the pillion seat by using a longer bolt, just to see it it works. It does.
The down side of this bag it it's not waterproof. water resistant, yes. but riding in rain for hours and things will get wet inside it. Problem solved with dry bag or large zip locks inside for traveling, most of the time in SoCal I don't need to worry about rain... you know that drought we're having has at least one positive side!

Now add in a HPRC 2300 case giving me more space. I just drilled some holes through the Mojave and it all works just peachy.

#4 · (Edited)
Long haul camping.

In addition to the HPCR 2300 and the Mojave bag, I'm adding a MEC 10L bag to the tail, secured with 1/2" adjustable ROK straps using the tie off point on the subframe and looping the straps back to each other on the rear end.
I also added an axe, tent poles and a tripod, all essential for me when camping - also secured with ROK straps + the built in straps on the Mojave bag.
Shown here is everything I need for an open ended camping spring summer fall adventure on the ninet, basically the same pack I use on my Husaberg minus the hard case. Winter camping will take a bit more space...

#1,162 ·
Long haul camping.

In addition to the HPCR 2300 and the Mojave bag, I'm adding a MEC 10L bag to the tail, secured with 1/2" adjustable ROK straps using the tie off point on the subframe and looping the straps back to each other on the rear end.
I also added an axe, tent poles and a tripod, all essential for me when camping - also secured with ROK straps + the built in straps on the Mojave bag.
Shown here is everything I need for an open ended camping spring summer fall adventure on the ninet, basically the same pack I use on my Husaberg minus the hard case. Winter camping will take a bit more space...

I like the 45-degree alignment of your side luggage. Keeps bike slim and less turbulences while doing high-speed hwy. And I always pack my carbon tripod with me. I might do a little bit different but overall this is a good setup. I live in Irvine, we can ride somehow someday.

#6 ·
who said this bike won't tour?

Lost,

Like you I used my R12R for touring and always found it totally adequate. Of course a GS is more suitable at the extremities but that is not to say the R12R and now the R9T won't do the job. I believe in the past people toured on bikes even before the GS was made.

There's something very satisfying about working out what suits the individual rather than just filling a couple of panniers and taking off on an adventure (many of which end up in a motel or hotel judging by experience and observing driveways.

What I like about your setup and mine (when I 'build' it) is that it will be another way to define the bike and the rider. Isn't that part of the customisation process?

#7 ·
Absolutely petrichor, folks been touring on bikes long before there were "touring bikes".
I enjoy figuring out what's best for me, less is more too. The nineT will certainly be very enjoyable to travel on - in style!

On another note, folks looking for more storage might want to check out the Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag setup, judging from how well the Mojave works I think it will be a nice fit with more space available. Being able to keep heavy things like tools or liquids down low will certainly help with the handling of the bike in the twisties.

Coyote Saddlebag » Giant Loop

#8 ·
Now I have a Glove Compartment

I won't be going on any long trips anytime soon, but I thought it would be nice to have a little space for odds and ends. Fortunately, I had this little ditty bag sitting around. Water resistant (waterproof nylon lined) and plastic zippers. Has belt slots on the underside, so it strapped right to the tail piece, and I finished (burned) the nylon ends. Has strong clips.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Good news for me and anyone else hoping to use a SW-Motech Quick-Lock gas cap tank bag, or in my case, tank box. This opens up many possibilities for various tank bag options for the ninet, none of which will scratch the paint and even with electrified bag options.
The Type 124 tank ring from a R1200R does indeed fit on the ninet. While it's not a perfect color match there's no issue with it functioning normally. I'm hoping SW-Motch will offer a ninet specific mount, this one will eventually need to go back onto Nancy's 12R... but for now it's all good.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK Type 124 EVO Tankbag Bottom Tankring - TwistedThrottle.com

Various bags:
Tankbags - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

I've been using a setup like this for many years on various bikes, for me having a 100% water/everything proof tank box is important when traveling. Function over fashion, though I don't think it looks too out of place on the ninet when in travel mode. :D

Here's the tank ring while I was swapping it out with the 12R, it's a simple install really.

And some photos of my HPRC 2100 tank box that's mounted to the SW-Motech quick release.

#11 ·
Good news for me and anyone else hoping to use a SW-Motech Quick-Lock gas cap tank bag, or in my case, tank box. This opens up many possibilities for various tank bag options for the ninet, none of which will scratch the paint and even with electrified bag options.
The Type 124 tank ring from a R1200R does indeed fit on the ninet. While it's not a perfect color match there's no issue with it functioning normally. I'm hoping SW-Motch will offer a ninet specific mount, this one will eventually need to go back onto Nancy's 12R... but for now it's all good.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK Type 124 EVO Tankbag Bottom Tankring - TwistedThrottle.com

Various bags:
Tankbags - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

I've been using a setup like this for many years on various bikes, for me having a 100% water/everything proof tank box is important when traveling. Function over fashion, though I don't think it looks too out of place on the ninet when in travel mode. :D

Here's the tank ring while I was swapping it out with the 12R, it's a simple install really.

And some photos of my HPRC 2100 tank box that's mounted to the SW-Motech quick release.
Finn, you so have your act together on this stuff...:)

#13 ·
I didn't say it has the same fuel filler, I just said it fits. ;)

There are small differences between the two filler rings, but it works just fine. Since I don't know first hand about the Givi setup I really can't say, but the SW-motech type 124 is for the 07' R1200R which I think is different than the current models.
Try it out and let us know how it works out!:D

#15 ·
Added a Kreiga US-20 to the tail. Very well made waterproof bag. Plan to add another 1-2 US-10's to the setup for longer trips. When removed, there are just 4 small loops coming out from under the passenger pad. The 4 straps with the hooks store inside the bag.

Attachments

#59 ·
question to jd about kriega

Hey JD,

just curious if the kreiga 20 is mountable in transverse fashion as well as the longitudinal mounting that you show in your pics.

also, to be clear, it's 4 flat webbing loops, correct? attached to the rear subframe under the passenger seat, yes?

thanks in advance

g

#17 ·
Just got this e-mail from SW-Motech:

Hi Mike,

thanks for your email and your interest in our products.

Don’t worry, we will produce products for this bike but you must have a little bit more patience.
We plan to provide an Alu-Rack as well as a pannier set.

Mit freundlichen GrĂĽĂźen / Best Regards

Marius Sarrach
Sales
Der neue SW-BC Katalog 2014 - Ab sofort verfĂĽgbar!
Jetzt auch online blättern auf katalog.sw-bc.com

#18 · (Edited)
On a recent solo camping trip I changed things around to give me a little more capacity, using bags I already had.

First off, the slightly larger HPRC 2200 box went from the tail to the tank using the SW-Motech gas cap mount. Camera and other tank bag type items + USB charger in that box.

I used some Wolfman: E-12 Saddle Bags for tools, tubes, air compressor, shoes, off the bike lightweight pants / socks on the left and a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15Âş Downtek sleeping bag in a 10L Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack, cooking utensils, spices, headlamp, LED light, summer gloves, Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket
and empty water bag on the right side.

On the tail I took a Flatland racing tail rack off of Nancy's CRF250L, drilled a few new holes on mounted it to the subframe. On the rack I used a Kreiga US-10 bag held down with . In the Kreiga is my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 tent, , Big Agnes Q-Core SL pad, and .
Also on the tail is my tent poles in a Sea to Summit Tent Pole Bag which has loops to run the ROK straps through making it impossible to slide out. (lost my poles once a long time ago, never again :) ). Also my handy dandy Gerber Camp Axe 45905
A cargo net on top of the tail gives me added temporary storage, for the water bag or Gerbings jacket, etc.

Overall the pack worked well and I had no issues with space, though for a longer trip I might want a kreiga US-20 for just a little more space for more clothing and some fishing gear.
Now that I know how well a tail rack works, and how easy it would be to make one I might want to experiment and fabricate one myself, a little longer than the Flatlands one made for a dirt bike would be nice.

Yes, a big can of cheap beer and camping go hand in hand. :D

#19 ·
On a recent solo camping trip I changed things around to give me a little more capacity, using bags I already had.

First off, the slightly larger HPRC 2200 box went from the tail to the tank using the SW-Motech gas cap mount. Camera and other tank bag type items + USB charger in that box.

I used some Wolfman: E-12 Saddle Bags for tools, tubes, air compressor, shoes, off the bike lightweight pants / socks on the left and a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15Âş Downtek sleeping bag in a 10L Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack, cooking utensils, spices, headlamp, LED light, summer gloves, Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket
and empty water bag on the right side.

On the tail I took a Flatland racing tail rack off of Nancy's CRF250L, drilled a few new holes on mounted it to the subframe. On the rack I used a Kreiga US-10 bag held down with 1/2" adjustable ROK straps. In the Kreiga is my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 tent, Primus EtaExpress Stove, Big Agnes Q-Core SL pad, and MSR Groundhog tent stakes.
Also on the tail is my tent poles in a Sea to Summit Tent Pole Bag which has loops to run the ROK straps through making it impossible to slide out. (lost my poles once a long time ago, never again :) ). Also my handy dandy Gerber Camp Axe 45905
A cargo net on top of the tail gives me added temporary storage, for the water bag or Gerbings jacket, etc.

Overall the pack worked well and I had no issues with space, though for a longer trip I might want a kreiga US-20 for just a little more space for more clothing and some fishing gear.
Now that I know how well a tail rack works, and how easy it would be to make one I might want to experiment and fabricate one myself, a little longer than the Flatlands one made for a dirt bike would be nice.

Yes, a big can of cheap beer and camping go hand in hand. :D

Thanks Lost,

This looks like a good setup. Thanks for posting.

I have a lot of similar gear and i'd like to mount it up for a trip out west this summer.

I picked up a Caribou Cases rack and topcase... But it's a bit large. I'm trying to strike a balance with a bit of lockable luggage for cameras and electronics, and then some softbags for the rest.

This weekend i'm headed out for a quick weekend (non-camping) trip, so i'll use the BMW tank and tailbag. But after that the camping experiments start.

-Cross9T

#20 ·
Picked up the BMW rear bag today. Nice mounting, big **** bag. I could probably pack half a weeks worth of groceries in the bag. Takes a bit to attach and remove, but nicely so, for steady attachment. Leaves the additional "hooks" attached, and just slip off the velcro straps. If I am shopping, I am probably carrying a thin fiber shopping bag too, and just sticking it in the bag. Looks a good size for packing for the Gym, or an overnight trip. Maybe even for the office. Ample room. Can't emphasize that enough. For those that need it, will hold at least 3-4 6 packs of your favorite brew. Would probably carry a helmet too (with less brew)

I'm really looking forward to a nice little rack back there, as mentioned here by one of the accessory makers. (Wunderlich I think, possibly one of the others) That would be nice for attaching a briefcase.

#21 ·
The BMW tank/tail bag combo is exactly as I expected and I'm very happy with it. For my touring and daily needs, they will work perfectly.

Unfortunately, the GF seems to like the bike and being on it, so now I'm looking for saddlebags. I thought briefly about fab'ing a simple rear luggage rack, but with the huge selection of soft saddlebags available, I decided it wasn't really worth the effort for the 2% of the time she'd be on the bike with me.

I really wanted something simple. I looked for canvas to match the tank/tail bag, but really wasn't seeing anything I liked. I just wanted a no frills, soft saddlebag that was relatively waterproof and wouldn't uggo up the bike. Unfortunately, the bulk of the bags available are either too sporty, too adventure-y, or too cruiser swag for the R NineT. I finally found these, and think they will work very well:

SaddlePacks by Rev-Pack

#22 ·
I like the looks of those, very fitting look for the ninet. I looked at the specs, the price is great too, but they don't say they are 100% waterproof, just "The bags are reinforced with an extra piece of material on the back so that no stitching need go through the body of the bags, making them more weatherproof, and help guard against abrasion." I'd be interested to know what that means exactly, or see more details on how the bags close. It kind of looks like it's a roll top closure with the flap that goes over the top, but hard to tell from the one product photo.

While for me I'm happy with the choices I already have for southwestern US rides, the Wolfman E-12's are not waterproof and while my sleeping bag is in a waterproof compression bag and is waterproof down, for a long ride where I'll undoubtably be riding in rain I'll want something 100% waterproof.
I've borrowed a friends pair of these Ortlieb's in the past and have been considering them as viable long haul packing solution, but will be interested to hear what you think of those Rev-Pack bags.

View the MOTO SADDLE-BAGS (PAIR) at http://www.ortliebusa.com

#23 ·
While for me I'm happy with the choices I already have for southwestern US rides, the Wolfman E-12's are not waterproof and while my sleeping bag is in a waterproof compression bag and is waterproof down, for a long ride where I'll undoubtably be riding in rain I'll want something 100% waterproof.
I've borrowed a friends pair of these Ortlieb's in the past and have been considering them as viable long haul packing solution, but will be interested to hear what you think of those Rev-Pack bags.

@Lost Rider, do you know if the subframe on the 9T will be sufficient to use these bags? I'm wondering if something would need to be installed to keep them from the pipes, etc, or if they can just be put on/taken off without any other modifcation.

--merrmich

#24 · (Edited)
I think they will fit, but that's just a theory...
The specs on the ortlieb's say they are 12" tall, I think if you leave the pillion seat on to keep them higher and move them forward as much as possible then they would clear the exhaust.
Since the passenger footrests are what keeps the bags I've used from flopping into the wheel, I'm not sure if it will be possible to use bags like this with a passenger. If you move the bags back far enough for a passenger there will be nothing to support the bottom of it and you might be into the tip of the exhaust. There's just not anything to support bags underneath and behind the pillion seat. I think the ortleibs would need to be halfway under my butt, giving me feet room, but as far forward as possible.
I removed the actual footrests off the frame, my bags sit right where a passengers foot would go, the small wire guard that keeps a passenger foot away from the wheel/swingarm is what supports my bags.

Before I had the bike I thought I might need to have a curved bar welded to the passenger subframe to support soft bags, seems like it would be easy enough to do, though things seems to be working out without it for now.
Something like this, though for a passenger a larger loop going further back would be needed IMHO.

Maybe Karamazov is seeing something I'm not and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

#25 ·
Maybe Karamazov is seeing something I'm not and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
For $150 bucks, I'm willing to experiment. I considered the peg blocking. These seem shallow enough, but I won't really know until I can mount them. If they don't work, I'll keep them for camping gear on solo trips and just make a simple luggage rack and surrender the tail bag to her. I'm also willing to consider some basic, removable pegs that can just be clamped onto the frame further forward. I hadn't explored that much, but I figure there's something like that available, or I can just go to the hardware store and wing it.

The support issue isn't something I was too worried about. There's a strap extending from the front/lower portion of the unit that can be secured to the frame at any point to keep it from swinging. If that wasn't sufficient, I think a very basic L bracket could be made to secure under the seat, extending out an inch or two and down four or five. I'm not really in need of a permanent solution like a welded addition to the frame, since I really wouldn't be using these much solo. I don't mind taking 10 extra minutes to prep the luggage on the bike for the odd weekend with a pillion.

#34 ·
No Givi bags for the R Nine T

In my search for some decent gear to pack up the Nine T for long hauls, I contacted Givi to see if and when they would be coming out with brackets to fit. They replied they weren't. Doesn't mean something can't be cobbled up to fit their bags, but it is a little disappointing. Here are their exact words:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting GIVI USA. We appreciate the interest you have shown in our products. Unfortunately, at this time there are no plans to cover for this model.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Best regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GIVI USA

[/FONT]

If anybody has come up with a slick way to carry panniers yet, I would love to see it. Right now, I'm thinking a custom rear subframe is going to have to be the route.

Chris

#35 ·
In my search for some decent gear to pack up the Nine T for long hauls, I contacted Givi to see if and when they would be coming out with brackets to fit. They replied they weren't. Doesn't mean something can't be cobbled up to fit their bags, but it is a little disappointing. Here are their exact words:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting GIVI USA. We appreciate the interest you have shown in our products. Unfortunately, at this time there are no plans to cover for this model.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GIVI USA

[/FONT]

If anybody has come up with a slick way to carry panniers yet, I would love to see it. Right now, I'm thinking a custom rear subframe is going to have to be the route.

Chris
Heyya Chris, you may wanna check out this thread - all about luggage:

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/accessories-gear/49530-packing-up-ninet-thread.html

Hepco Becker is coming out with a luggage rack line soon, and there are C Bow side mounts available next month.

http://www.motomachines.com/search.asp?keyword=r+ninet&search.x=0&search.y=0