BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are 9T owners using as front & rear paddock stands? I can't seem to find a reasonably priced rear stand for a right-hand single swingarm. Now I miss the GS's centre stand :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Abba stand

Roadrunner, not sure if they export these but the basic abba centre stand is great. It can be very easily converted to fit virtually any bike so if you need it for something different in the future or have a couple of different bikes in the garage it's not a problem.

I use one on the nine and my HP2 and it's quick and simple. UK cost is approx £100.

Customer Gallery: BMW - Abba Stands, UK

·
Registered
196 Posts
Roadrunner, not sure if they export these but the basic abba centre stand is great. It can be very easily converted to fit virtually any bike so if you need it for something different in the future or have a couple of different bikes in the garage it's not a problem.

I use one on the nine and my HP2 and it's quick and simple. UK cost is approx £100.

that is nice. but the shipping:eek:. That is all metal to the USA = HEAVY

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ Roadrunner......Anderson stands from PC Hornsby...I have one and with the third wheel makes moving around small garage a breeze.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@ Roadrunner......Anderson stands from PC Hornsby...I have one and with the third wheel makes moving around small garage a breeze.
Cheers
Thanks. Anderson too expensive at $440 for front and rear. Bought from T-Rex in US for $200 and will use my re-shipper in CA. T-Rex can also be used on left or right swing-arms.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Nice rear stand, although I would question the need for their front stand when a trolley jack would do the job just as well?

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts

That looks like the ideal stand for me... Think I'll buy it once my wallet recovers from the shock of buying the bike! ;)

I take it you just order the stand for the R1200R?

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks like the ideal stand for me... Think I'll buy it once my wallet recovers from the shock of buying the bike! ;)

IMO this centre style stand will be far more unstable than a front and rear stand. However one advantage of the centre stand would be the ability to drop the final drive and shaft. With the traditional rear stand you will not be able to open/drop the FD or shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
35 Posts

The stand is the same for every bike it's just the adapters they change. I brought mine for an HP2 but the fittings are the same for all 1200 boxers (apart from the cruiser).

Just one point. The nine seems to be front end heavy so you won't be able to pivot the bike on the stand as easily as the guy does with the R1 in the video.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Having two bikes, this stand is handy for me, as I can just buy the two adaptor kits. Lifting from the frame also leaves the entire rear end free to work on. I like it and for the price it's something I would be happy with.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
The stand is the same for every bike it's just the adapters they change. I brought mine for an HP2 but the fittings are the same for all 1200 boxers (apart from the cruiser).

Just one point. The nine seems to be front end heavy so you won't be able to pivot the bike on the stand as easily as the guy does with the R1 in the video.
Sorry, I did mean if I ordered the adapters for the R1200R! Oops! Good to know that the adapter is common through the hex head R series bikes.

Unsure what you mean about pivot...do you mean the guy "see-sawing" the bike? I take it if you want to raise the front of the bike, a jack under the engine will pivot the bike into a suitable position?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, I did mean if I ordered the adapters for the R1200R! Oops! Good to know that the adapter is common through the hex head R series bikes.

Unsure what you mean about pivot...do you mean the guy "see-sawing" the bike? I take it if you want to raise the front of the bike, a jack under the engine will pivot the bike into a suitable position?
Yep, its not really possible to see-saw the bike as in the video due to the front end weight of the nine when on the stand but its fine with a small jack of some kind.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Well my abba superbike stand arrived at the weekend and it took all of 15 mins to unpack it, assemble it and jack my bike into the air! The stand is very well made and the adapter kit for the R NineT (order the R1200R adapter kit) is nicely engineered and fits fine. You can leave part of the kit bolted to your bike for the quick use of the stand and it doesn't really look out of place where it is down in the swingarm pivot area next to the footrest. Unlike a paddock stand it's very easy to operate with one person and lifts the back of the bike around 7 inches into the air. Putting a scissor or trolley jack under the front of the engine will lift both wheels into the air.

The bike is VERY stable with the stand fitted and I'm delighted with my purchase. Pictures below....

BELOW SHOWS TAPE MEASURE NEXT TO WHEEL SHOWING APPROXIMATE DISTANCE THE REAR WHEEL IS LIFTED IN INCHES AND METRIC CM

1 - 20 of 82 Posts