BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Well my abba superbike stand arrived at the weekend and it took all of 15 mins to unpack it, assemble it and jack my bike into the air! The stand is very well made and the adapter kit for the R NineT (order the R1200R adapter kit) is nicely engineered and fits fine. You can leave part of the kit bolted to your bike for the quick use of the stand and it doesn't really look out of place where it is down in the swingarm pivot area next to the footrest. Unlike a paddock stand it's very easy to operate with one person and lifts the back of the bike around 7 inches into the air. Putting a scissor or trolley jack under the front of the engine will lift both wheels into the air.

The bike is VERY stable with the stand fitted and I'm delighted with my purchase. Pictures below....

BELOW SHOWS TAPE MEASURE NEXT TO WHEEL SHOWING APPROXIMATE DISTANCE THE REAR WHEEL IS LIFTED IN INCHES AND METRIC CM

I’m really glad I read this, because I was about to let my ABBA stand go on tne basis that they don’t make fittings for the 9T; instead, I’ve now ordered the R1200R fitting and will hang on to it.

Is it easy to work out where the stand attaches to support the bike, Dave?

·
Registered
2017 Scrambler
22 Posts
I ordered an abba superbike stand based on reading this forum, and the accompanying adapters for the R1200R (2017). I have a 2017 R9T scrambler and can't figure out how the adapters fit into the swingarm pivot. Can someone post some photos of the swingarm pivot with the adapters in so I can get a better idea of how it goes together? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered an abba superbike stand based on reading this forum, and the accompanying adapters for the R1200R (2017). I have a 2017 R9T scrambler and can't figure out how the adapters fit into the swingarm pivot. Can someone post some photos of the swingarm pivot with the adapters in so I can get a better idea of how it goes together? Thanks in advance.
I also bought one with the R1200R kit, and it doesn’t work for the R nineT. Fuming - should have checked with them rather than blindly following what was put on here.

I spoke with ABBA who say they used to make a K1200/1300 r ninet specific fitting (where part of it bolts onto your bike) but they have stopped producing it. The two cone shaped pins you get for the R1200R kit are no use for an r ninet.

Was this a mistake from you @BaldyDave?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also bought one with the R1200R kit, and it doesn’t work for the R nineT. Fuming - should have checked with them rather than blindly following what was put on here.

I spoke with ABBA who say they used to make a K1200/1300 r ninet specific fitting (where part of it bolts onto your bike) but they have stopped producing it. The two cone shaped pins you get for the R1200R kit are no use for an r ninet.

Was this a mistake from you @BaldyDave?
The kit required is the R1200R model up to 2014 and I used it on my modified Abba stand as I felt it was too much effort to lift the bike with the currently available "standard" height ABBA stand as the previously available "short ABBA" stand is discontinued.

see previous posts

·
Administrator
12,908 Posts
When I ordered the ABBA stand there was not a R nineT Abba stand model for our bikes, so I followed the advice on other forum members from here and ordered a R1200R stand. This worked fine, but does require a good (but IMO not excessive) pull to get the bike up on the stand.

Later on Abba I believe produced an R nineT specific stand but it is now discontinued, my guess is not enough interest was shown in it.

I'm still very happy with my Abba stand.

@Joha if you pay close to the time stamp on the posts they were in 2014 so the only R1200 around that time was the oil/air cooled R1200R, not the later water cooled ones (2015 onwards) , so I am afraid the post was 100% correct at the time of writing. It's a always good to take a look at the time stamp of a post to avoid issues like this.

As @CMC states, the kit you will need is the 2014 model R 1200R kit.

Reactions: Joha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spoke with the guys at ABBA and they actually have a few of the discontinued shorter ones with the RnineT specific fittings available and are sending me one.

I should have checked before I ordered - I saw you guys saying R1200R would fit then just chose the same year R1200R as my nineT (2018) which wasn’t even close to fitting. Live and learn I suppose, and perhaps someone else reading this will avoid making the mistake I did.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,662 Posts
I bought this rear paddock stand this spring from Wunderlich for $175 UDS plus shipping. (It was on backorder for about a month, so I just got it a few weeks ago.) Until now I've used a front wheel chock I bought from Revzilla for $99 to get the bike upright for maintenance, cleaning, and installing mods. The rear paddock stand is much easier to use. It wasn't cheap but it was definitely worth the expense.

I can't remember the name brand on the sticker on the stand itself (maybe JML?) but it looks exactly like the R&G Racing rear stand, though the R&G is steel and this one is aluminum. Regardless, it's very sturdy. I can't imagine needing a heavier steel rear stand for this motorcycle. Maybe an RT or full-blown GS, but not the R9T.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
The American Wunderlich one is JML like you mentioned, but it’s steel. Really thin, but it’s steel.
The European Wunderlich one is made by somebody else, and is $600usd lol

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,662 Posts
The American Wunderlich one is JML like you mentioned, but it’s steel. Really thin, but it’s steel.
The European Wunderlich one is made by somebody else, and is $600usd lol
That's good to know, but also kind of weird. Wunderlich's US website says it's aluminum, and from the weight of the rear stand I totally believed that. I wonder if it's the same exact stand as the R&G Racing stand (which R&G says is but rebadged as a JML. They look exactly the same, right down to the wheels. It's fine either way, of course, as this thing works great.

Another satisfied Pit Bull stand owner. Charlie and his crew in Alabama make a very solid and high quality product.
I've looked at the Pitbull fork triple tree stand, but on my 2020 Pure I think there is a brake line valve mounted right in the middle of the hole at the bottom of the triple tree. I'm really curious -- does your U/GS not have the valve placed there, or if it is there how do you get around it using that stand?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've looked at the Pitbull fork triple tree stand, but on my 2020 Pure I think there is a brake line valve mounted right in the middle of the hole at the bottom of the triple tree. I'm really curious -- does your U/GS not have the valve placed there, or if it is there how do you get around it using that stand?
Yes, the brake line splitter is located right there. I undo the single bolt holding it in place, and then have complete access to the stem hole. My only issue is that since I have increased the overall length of the forks, the stand presses against the tire when I am lifting it, and I end up having to line it up with a gap in my knobbier The tire rolls a little and the bike rolls back about 8 inches or so. Stem lift stands work better on bikes with a straighter steering angle head, like sport bikes. It does work though, and is very solid. I used it to hold my bike while I dropped the forks and installed the cartridges.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
That's good to know, but also kind of weird. Wunderlich's US website says it's aluminum, and from the weight of the rear stand I totally believed that. I wonder if it's the same exact stand as the R&G Racing stand (which R&G says is but rebadged as a JML. They look exactly the same, right down to the wheels. It's fine either way, of course, as this thing works great.

A magnet stuck to mine…and I didn’t like how sloppy the welds looked so I returned it…yeah, I know, totally a Karen thing to do but I was sold on it looking/being the German one and when I bought it it was wrapped in bubble wrap. When I got home and unwrapped it, I packed it back up and returned it. It was at that point they told me nobody in the Us market would spend $600 on a rear stand so they used another manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,662 Posts
A magnet stuck to mine…and I didn’t like how sloppy the welds looked so I returned it…yeah, I know, totally a Karen thing to do but I was sold on it looking/being the German one and when I bought it it was wrapped in bubble wrap. When I got home and unwrapped it, I packed it back up and returned it. It was at that point they told me nobody in the Us market would spend $600 on a rear stand so they used another manufacturer.
I had a quick look at my rear paddock stand this morning before I left for work. I found two things:
  1. I was wrong on the name. It's JMP, not JML.
  2. It is indeed steel, like @NateE said. I put a magnet on that thing, and it stuck.
I'm not mad about the JMP stand being steel instead of aluminum. It's fine, really. This thing works great and the welds on mine (unlike the one NateE returned) look okay - not perfect, but not bad either. But now that I know it's steel, I may wrap the bars that hit the ground when using the stand, or just repaint them black once in a while. They're already showing scuffs, and I don't want them to rust.

Also, I just dropped WunderlichAmerica a line to let them know their description is wrong. ;)

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Yeah, I’d wrap up the contact points to prevent rusting cause if it’s like mine was, the paint is Uber thin.

The welds on a mine were really bad, like bubblegum and splatter everywhere. I think they probably rectified that issue.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21
192 Posts
Affordable Rear Swing Arm Stand?

I know if we let it, we can drop a fortune on tools, and accessories for our R Nine T's. Are there any "affordable" -- under $150 USD rear single swing arm stands that you all can recommend for my R Nine?

·
Registered
R nine T classic 2019 Pollux / club sport (stock)
29 Posts
I’ve got one from constands, not sure if they sell in the US as well, but it’s pretty decent for the money, I believe I’ve paid about 70 euros for it, which is about 90 dollars or so.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts