BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21 2003 R1150RT
291 Posts
If you could justify saving $50 from buying cheap stand vs the solid steel tubed Pitbull, more power to you.
Pitbull stands never failed me once. I've been riding motorcycles since 2008
I don't mind spending an extra $50 on a stand. I just don't want to drop $300-500 on the stands that I've seen. If I'm spending that much, then I will just spend the $260 on a center stand.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,176 Posts
Just an update from my posts two months ago about the JMP rear paddock stand I got from Wunderlich America:

There was already a very light layer of rust in a couple places where the paint had scuffed on the stand's bars. I sanded the areas with scuffed paint, touched it up with some black spray paint, then wrapped those areas with some old cloth bicycle handlebar wrap I got from a local bike shop. Should prevent the paint from getting scuffed and the bars from rusting there for years to come.

Also, Wunderlich America answered my email and revised the description for this stand on their website. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi everyone.
I got an rninet and need to practice my lean, cheek off and shoulders over, and I'm looking for a stand that won't make me drop when I play garage Rossi. anyone has a suggestion for a stand that can stand up to that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
rear paddock stand advice.. please

Hi everyone.. hope you don't mind me asking for this information as I've only just joined the forum but looking to place a order for a rear RHS single sided arm paddock stand this week! of course I have introduce myself to the forum via the "newby induction"

Always loved the look of the bmw r nine t and Just bought myself a 21 plate in storm black already fitted a few accessories such as oil rad guard/fenda extenda/tank and side pads/engine bars/swmotech pro tank bag/optimate battery lead/shaft drive protector.

Now looking to buy a RHS single arm sided paddock stand from sports bike shop but not sure which is the correct size pin as it states in the options list for pins is 53.5 mm for bmw r1250 but I read in a reply to a post by IAN_H the pin size is 52.9mm can you confirm this is the correct size pin for the bmw r nine t.

the reason I'm asking was told by bmw dealer the shaft drive on the bmw r1250 is the same as the bmw r nine t.. if the pin size which was stated in the reply post is 52.9 mm and correct size for the shaft hole diameter that's good enough for me.. As I'm hoping to buy this paddock stand and pin as soon as possible.. so as soon this is confirmed I can placed the order with sports bike shop..

also looking to buy a front paddock stand so I can lift full bike off ground for cleaning e.t.c.. do you have a front paddock stand that work well with the rear paddock stand and which front stand is it? or can you recommend a front paddock stand or is it ok to lift the front wheel of ground by placing a car jack with a flat piece of wood to even the weight out and lift via sump.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a Pitbull paddock stand and a car-jack with a piece of wood for maintenance/cleaning purposes, also have a motorcycle/atv lift for winter storage.
thanks for the reply but wanted to know the diameter for the pin size if you know it.. also can't seem to find the logging out option on the forum.. how do you log out?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,485 Posts
Hey @beemaguy I just moved your post to the 'stickied' thread that discusses all things paddock stands.
Just a few posts up from here (#109) is your answer = 53mm (y)

To log off the forum, click on your little avatar box at the top right hand corner in the webpage header, and a drop-down list will have 'Log out' at the bottom.
Rectangle Line Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
53 Posts
Captain thanks for confirming pin size.. what confused me was... I was looking for the pin size on sports bike shop web site "based in the UK" it stated a pin size 52.9 mm but also stated a pin size of 53.5 mm for the bmw 1250 r.. I've got a 2021 bmw r 1250 gsa as as far as I can tell it uses the same shaft drive as the bmw r nine t.. when I called a bmw dealer they said.. bmw use the same size rear spindle "hole" on the r nine t / the r1250 r and r1250 gsa..

so needed to make sure I ordered the correct size pin.. I'm I correct in assuming the both pins sizes I.E the 52.9 mm and the 53.5 mm will fit the the spindle "hole" diameter.. was thinking the slightly larger 53.5 mm pin may be a better fit or could be slightly to large.. but if you guys are using the 52.9mm pin "or as you stated 53mm" then that's good enough for me..

Please confirm the 52.9 mm pin is my best option as will order today.. thanks for all your help in this matter!!

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler
114 Posts
Captain thanks for confirming pin size.. what confused me was... I was looking for the pin size on sports bike shop web site "based in the UK" it stated a pin size 52.9 mm but also stated a pin size of 53.5 mm for the bmw 1250 r.. I've got a 2021 bmw r 1250 gsa as as far as I can tell it uses the same shaft drive as the bmw r nine t.. when I called a bmw dealer they said.. bmw use the same size rear spindle "hole" on the r nine t / the r1250 r and r1250 gsa..

so needed to make sure I ordered the correct size pin.. I'm I correct in assuming the both pins sizes I.E the 52.9 mm and the 53.5 mm will fit the the spindle "hole" diameter.. was thinking the slightly larger 53.5 mm pin may be a better fit or could be slightly to large.. but if you guys are using the 52.9mm pin "or as you stated 53mm" then that's good enough for me..

Please confirm the 52.9 mm pin is my best option as will order today.. thanks for all your help in this matter!!
Well, it will do no harm for the pin to be smaller than the hole but obviously you don't want it larger. So if you have a choice then I'd go with the smaller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
update on shaft pin size for paddock stand

Thanks for all the input on various stands front and rear stands.. I ordered a R&G RHS single arm paddock stand but also 2 pins 52.9mm and a 53.5 mm from Sports bike shop who offer free returns.. so as I was not 100% sure which size pin would fit the best I ordered the 2 sizes..

Any one ordering single sided paddock stand for the r nine t... I can confirm the pin size that's fit "nice and snug" is the slightly Larger 53.5 mm. which is listed for the BMW r1250gs.. but not for the r nine t.. due to R&G not having a r nine t in their workshop to confirm.. so won't list the 53.5 pin for the R NINE T.

Regards dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Winter Storage - Advice please

Bought front and rear paddock stands which work fine for cleaning and if needed removing wheels.. but thinking ahead here for winter storage.. I.E r nine t raised of ground so weight is off suspension and tyres of ground.. this is not a problem on my GSA as got main stand and use block of wood with trolly jack under sump. suppose it's debatable if it's required to raise bike off ground to relieve weight on suspension and tyres for a few months as don't see dealers doing this in showrooms and sometimes bike's are not sold for months..

But I do prefer to raise my GSA of ground when not in use for a months.. however finding it a problem with my R nine T as can't seem to get a abba stand or abba sky lift for the 2021 r nine t.. prefer not to add a main stand as prefer side stand for every day parking..

did try putting the r nine t on the rear single sided paddock stand then using the same method as on my GSA by using a piece of wood under sump to even out weight and my trolly jack but with the rear paddock stand lifting the rear of the r nine t higher than say a main stand dose it meant I need to jack the front up a lot higher than I would like to.. which dose make the bike feel unstable.. suppose I could use thicker piece of wood "if there is enough height" to allow the wood to fit on jack to slide under the sump but don't think their would be enough room using thicker wood..

So back to the drawing board.. unless anyone can suggest a more secure way..

P.S also thinking of buying a front wheel chock for ease of checking oil level after ride out.. but concerns to how stable it would be just using the wheel chock.. any using a wheel chock and do you find it's secure enough which checking oil.. don't plan on leaving bike on chock stand it's just to keep bike level for 15 mins while oil settles to get accurate oil reading..

Regards
Dave

101 - 120 of 143 Posts