BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi mate are you selling this Abba stand or seen it on ebay? If your selling I'm interested in your Abba stand if it you selling can you supply contact number will text/ call you

you may have other accessories I may want

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
558 Posts
I've been storing motorcycles over the winter for over forty years. Make sure front and rear tire on on wood, not cement, and make sure front and rear tire are about 5 psi higher pressure than they are when you normally ride (avoids flat spots). I've never believed you had to unload the suspension for storing over the winter.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, not me selling, just stumbled on it on ebay. I previously had to modify my own abba stand to use it on my RnineT as they stopped selling them for some reason.
thanks for the heads up on the abba stand. will see if can get contact number as only one hour away from where he is located

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, not me selling, just stumbled on it on ebay. I previously had to modify my own abba stand to use it on my RnineT as they stopped selling them for some reason.
Hi CMC.. well I've called abba stands to ask about the adaptor kit for the r nine t .. they said they don't supply this adaptor kit something to do with the pivot points on the r nine t which seems strange as a few of you use this adaptor kit with the abba stand.. maybe they have had a few light damaged reports or problems lifting the r nine t.. to be honest have used abba stands on my previous 4 zzr1400's and various other bikes and had no problem.. ok need to be careful as the adaptors can mark the frame if not hold secure when removing..

AS far the adaptors for the abba stand is concerned.. how are the adaptors fitted on the r nine t? I assume on the left side the plastic cap is removed and the adaptor slots in.. however on the right side how dose that adaptor fit? as on the right side there is a brass coloured round plate with 4 bolts one of which is in centre.. is this plate removed and replaced with the abba adaptor.. by looking at pics of the adaptor in place it looks like just the centre bolt is removed and replaced with the adaptor. can any one explain how to fit the adaptor to the right side? also heard there may have been a recall for the swinging arm pivot can anyone shed any light on this recall?..

so think my best option is to fit a main stand seems easier for quick use and at least the main stand dose not lift the rear to high which enable you to raise the front with a wood and trolly jack under sump with out the need to lift higher if the rear single sided paddock stand is used as lifting higher makes the r nine t unsteady..

·
Registered
Urban G/S
96 Posts
I use the becker-technik lifter works a treat and personally I prefer not to have a permanently fitted centre stand.
The lifter can be fitted in seconds and ideal for maintenance or getting both wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use the becker-technik lifter works a treat and personally I prefer not to have a permanently fitted centre stand.
The lifter can be fitted in seconds and ideal for maintenance or getting both wheels off the ground.
Thanks for the info.. this looks ideal for what I want.. agree rather not have a main stand fitted. I'm away for a few days at moment so did not noticed on my bike as only had a week that there was holes either side where the this stand fit pivot/secures into.. will check when home.. are the holes where the stand pivots/secures to "blank" or covered? as did not noticed theses points...? but will order one.. the same stand with the wheels on for moving around may also be a option. did you need to pay customs to get delivered to the UK.

also did you order the just the r nine t lifter sku L29 or the Rangier adaptor set sku LR002 as well.. seems handy if you need to move the r nine t around the garaged!

Regards dave

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
X2 for the Becker........but be aware it can't be used if a sump plate is fitted....that would need to be removed first before using the stand. It is stable though, and would be fine for the use you wish to put it to.

Because of this I tend to use either the ABBA or Harris stands that I also have more often.

·
Registered
53 Posts
X2 for the Becker........but be aware it can't be used if a sump plate is fitted....that would need to be removed first before using the stand. It is stable though, and would be fine for the use you wish to put it to.

Because of this I tend to use either the ABBA or Harris stands that I also have more often.
Thanks for the reply.. did find a guy on ebay who was selling a abba stand for the R ninet with adaptors.. managed to get is contact number to ask a few questions.. I ask if the bolt that replaces the oem bolt on the right side pivot is included with the right side adaptor. He said he never got a replacement bolt as he just uses the oem bolt to fit the adaptor which is left on bike.. this seemed wrong to me as I recall a member on this forum saying he had the adaptors but not the bolt and wanted to know the length of the bolt so he could try and get one.. he seems to think abba supplied a bolt with the stand to replace the oem bolt.. so my question is.. do you use the oem bolt to fit the right hand side adaptor to the pivot point when using the abba stand or did abba supply maybe a longer bolt to allow for extra thickness of the adaptor..

·
Registered
Urban G/S
96 Posts
Thanks for the info.. this looks ideal for what I want.. agree rather not have a main stand fitted. I'm away for a few days at moment so did not noticed on my bike as only had a week that there was holes either side where the this stand fit pivot/secures into.. will check when home.. are the holes where the stand pivots/secures to "blank" or covered? as did not noticed theses points...? but will order one.. the same stand with the wheels on for moving around may also be a option. did you need to pay customs to get delivered to the UK.

also did you order the just the r nine t lifter sku L29 or the Rangier adaptor set sku LR002 as well.. seems handy if you need to move the r nine t around the garaged!

Regards dave
The holes are not covered you'll see them once you take a look under the engine.

You can use the lifter without the Rangier but yes I did also get the Rangier and it's really solid/well made and makes shifting the bike around really easy even on fairly rough garage floor.

I didn't need to pay additional customs when I bought mine but that was last year, it does seem to be inconsistent which orders get hit with additional charges between EU and UK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Buying a Pitbull Stands

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2021 BMW R ninet scrambles last week and I found a Pitbull Stand that I would like to buy.
The only problem is that I don't know if this is the correct sand and what pin I need to buy.
Any advice?

Photograph Light Street light Road surface Brick

Is this the correct PIN?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Is this the correct PIN?

sramos, You didn't say how much you are paying for the stand so can't judge if the price would be good/gad if yoiu needed to replace the pin. This said it's very hard to judge size from a picture but to me it looks too small in diameter for BMW's. I think that one is for Honda's and the sizes are different Honda being smaller. I went out and checked the stand we use with our VFR400 racer against the BMW's and the Honda one is smaller. Now when both bikes are in the shop I've been known to forget which is which and use them bilaterally or at least the Honda on the Beemer. Not a gtrat plan but does work. I would base it on cost of replacing the pin and you can check that on PitBulls web site. I've also gotten pins fairly cheap on E-bay in the past as people sell their motorbikes so they come up often.

By the way that is a good stand and when used by kick stand first then the PB it's easier than a BMW center stand...................just saying

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
I agree with @rich46 -- that pin looks too small.

I ordered a rear paddock stand from Wunderlich America last year (Note: not actually a Wunderlich product) and it came with a 53mm adapter (the spindle that goes into the axle). I went to my order history to see this. The 53mm is a flush fit with no extra play in it.

By the way, right now on Wunderlich's site, the same stand (but with a slightly different product number) shows it comes with a 52mm adaptor for $174.90, which is what I paid for mine. It was worth it in my opinion. If you can get that used Pitbull stand for a fair price and buy the right adaptor I say go for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the help!
the guy is asking 170 for front wheel chock and rear motorcycle stand. I think I could get the rear stand for $70, the adapter costs about $65.

I wonder is I need this stand? I can't use it to remove the rear tire, only to center the bike and maybe do repairs to the bike.

Thank you!
Wood Road surface Floor Brick Brickwork

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
Thanks for the help!
the guy is asking 170 for front wheel chock and rear motorcycle stand. I think I could get the rear stand for $70, the adapter costs about $65.

I wonder is I need this stand? I can't use it to remove the rear tire, only to center the bike and maybe do repairs to the bike.
Speaking from personal experience...

Soon after buying my R9T Pure I bought a front wheel chock just like that for maintenance, cleaning, and winter storage, and it worked fine for those purposes. I bought mine from Revzilla, where they are still available for $109.99. It's called the "Trackside Roll On Wheel Chock." I found it a little awkward to use and worried I'd drop my bike getting the front wheel in or out of the chock. TIP: If you buy that chock, drape a small towel or shop rag over the V-shaped upright support when putting your bike in it, otherwise your front tire's rubber might stick to the steel slats.

Being a little nervous about the wheel chock - and not wanting to add a centerstand to the bike - I decided to invest in the rear paddock stand, and I've found it much easier to use than the wheel chock. I'm still just a little anxious getting the bike up and down using it, but I take my time and it's fine. Aside from the ease of use, however, the rear paddock stand allows complete access to the front of the bike for maintenance and cleaning, whereas the wheel chock gets in the way a little. Plus of course the paddock stand gets the rear wheel off the ground so you can remove it for tire changes and cleaning.

I should also mention I sometimes use the rear paddock stand in combination with an automotive floor jack I place under the engine block (with a 2x4 between the engine block and the floor jack's pad) to lift the front wheel off the ground. I got the floor jack from Harbor Freight several years ago for around $100. It's not a heavy duty model, but it does the trick for a motorcycle or light car (like my Miata).

If it were me, based on my experience, I'd go with just the Pit Bull stand, especially if you can get it for $70. But $170 for both still seems like a decent deal, even factoring in having to buy the Pit Bull adapter for your BMW. Maybe offer $150 cash in hand and see if he accepts? You can always sell one thing or the other if you find you don't need it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you very much TimC! I think I will go with the Pit Bull stand as soon as I hear back from the seller.

Thank you for the great information.

Speaking from personal experience...

Soon after buying my R9T Pure I bought a front wheel chock just like that for maintenance, cleaning, and winter storage, and it worked fine for those purposes. I bought mine from Revzilla, where they are still available for $109.99. It's called the "Trackside Roll On Wheel Chock." I found it a little awkward to use and worried I'd drop my bike getting the front wheel in or out of the chock. TIP: If you buy that chock, drape a small towel or shop rag over the V-shaped upright support when putting your bike in it, otherwise your front tire's rubber might stick to the steel slats.

Being a little nervous about the wheel chock - and not wanting to add a centerstand to the bike - I decided to invest in the rear paddock stand, and I've found it much easier to use than the wheel chock. I'm still just a little anxious getting the bike up and down using it, but I take my time and it's fine. Aside from the ease of use, however, the rear paddock stand allows complete access to the front of the bike for maintenance and cleaning, whereas the wheel chock gets in the way a little. Plus of course the paddock stand gets the rear wheel off the ground so you can remove it for tire changes and cleaning.

I should also mention I sometimes use the rear paddock stand in combination with an automotive floor jack I place under the engine block (with a 2x4 between the engine block and the floor jack's pad) to lift the front wheel off the ground. I got the floor jack from Harbor Freight several years ago for around $100. It's not a heavy duty model, but it does the trick for a motorcycle or light car (like my Miata).

If it were me, based on my experience, I'd go with just the Pit Bull stand, especially if you can get it for $70. But $170 for both still seems like a decent deal, even factoring in having to buy the Pit Bull adapter for your BMW. Maybe offer $150 cash in hand and see if he accepts? You can always sell one thing or the other if you find you don't need it.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts