BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

New R Nine T Pure owner here... loving the bike so far. Quick question: Found this a bit odd, but found two little metal bits (pieces) around the rim of my fuel tank that look like they'd broken off a hinge or something.

Here's a photo:

Any idea what this could be? The way I found them: when I was putting fuel into the bike, I saw them sitting on the red colored rim of the tank once I opened up the fuel tank to insert the gas pump.

Any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
265 Posts
This is a bit odd

Can you post a picture of your closed and opened fuel cap ?

Everything still functioning normally? Closing and opening the cap i mean ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,062 Posts
Are they the same size as the ends of the hinge of the keyhole cover flap?
That's the only thing that looks hexagonal.
Did you buy the bike new or secondhand?
Did you find the pieces the first time you fuelled up?
What had you done to/with the fuel cap before finding the bits?

The more information you can provide, the better it helps to work out an answer!

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
725 Posts
Can you get the whole lid in a picture? That looks like the latch portion that would be at the very top of the second picture but is cut off.

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are they the same size as the ends of the hinge of the keyhole cover flap?
That's the only thing that looks hexagonal.
Did you buy the bike new or secondhand?
Did you find the pieces the first time you fuelled up?
What had you done to/with the fuel cap before finding the bits?

The more information you can provide, the better it helps to work out an answer!
Thanks for the detailed reply!

• They appear to be the same size as the hinge, but I'll have to double check.
  • The bike was bought new, so I'll call my BMW dealership tomorrow.
  • I did not find the pieces the first time I filled up, in fact, only noticed it yesterday, and I've put nearly 2k on the bike.
  • Didn't do anything unusual to the fuel cap, and nothing seems to be amiss there.

It's all really strange. I don't see how those parts could come from anything on the bike? Can't wrap my head around it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all!

New R Nine T Pure owner here... loving the bike so far. Quick question: Found this a bit odd, but found two little metal bits (pieces) around the rim of my fuel tank that look like they'd broken off a hinge or something.

Here's a photo:

View attachment 134569

Any idea what this could be? The way I found them: when I was putting fuel into the bike, I saw them sitting on the red colored rim of the tank once I opened up the fuel tank to insert the gas pump.

Any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated!
Greetings,

I thought I was the only one who found exactly the same metal bits in my tank! Same, two bits just like yours.

I purchased my R nine T 2019 in DEC last year, I live in Germany. And around the 2nd or 3rd fill-up I noticed two metal bits right where the hex bolts are when you open the tank. I can take a picture, but they look exactly like your picture.

My fear is there were more and they are in the tank.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
265 Posts
Looks like the underside of the hinge is broken, second picture, left side, right bellow the Phillips screw head it looks to be a little jagged in there.
I agree. Let’s see what the dealer says

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
425 Posts
Looks like the underside of the hinge is broken, second picture, left side, right bellow the Phillips screw head it looks to be a little jagged in there.
Yes, I think as well a problem with the hinge, see:

Reactions: nico73

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I think as well a problem with the hinge, see:

Hi All,

Just back from the dealer, and yes, it's the hing. Although I am very careful, perhaps when I put gas in the nosel must have put pressure on the cap and caused the hing, on both ends, to break into the small pieces.

Not sure I'm impressed with the design that without much pressure caused the hing to break.

Many thanks to all

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you get the whole lid in a picture? That looks like the latch portion that would be at the very top of the second picture but is cut off.
Hey! Will get a shot tomorrow morning when I go down to the bike. It's
This is a bit odd

Can you post a picture of your closed and opened fuel cap ?

Everything still functioning normally? Closing and opening the cap i mean ?

Yes! Everything is functioning normally. Here's a photo of the closed fuel cap:

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greetings,

I thought I was the only one who found exactly the same metal bits in my tank! Same, two bits just like yours.

I purchased my R nine T 2019 in DEC last year, I live in Germany. And around the 2nd or 3rd fill-up I noticed two metal bits right where the hex bolts are when you open the tank. I can take a picture, but they look exactly like your picture.

My fear is there were more and they are in the tank.

Thoughts?
Seems like we have the same problem! I also feared there were some parts in the tank, and perhaps that'd be an issue, e.g. if something got into the engine.

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update: Spoke with my BMW dealer, and I'm going to have them take a look at it on Tuesday - first appointment I could get. I'll follow up once they have a look, and let everyone know what happened. Thanks for all the responses and helping me figure this out.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,062 Posts
Just took a photo of mine.
As @Johndoe08 has stated above, it looks like the hinge stoppers have broken off at the base.
These stop the cap from opening too far and possibly bending the cap.
I can see how pressure from the filling nozzle could do this.
I fill with the nozzle from the side.

·
Premium Member
BMW RNT Classic; Tuono 1000 R
103 Posts
Just took a photo of mine.
As @Johndoe08 has stated above, it looks like the hinge stoppers have broken off at the base.
These stop the cap from opening too far and possibly bending the cap.
I can see how pressure from the filling nozzle could do this.
I fill with the nozzle from the side.

View attachment 134599
There goes my "leaded" gas theory!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts